HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by earlwb, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Sep 03, 2012, 08:12 AM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
12,742 Posts
Discussion
Flight testing the NGH 9cc gas engine

I had put my second NGH 9cc engine in a Great Planes Escapade 40 size plane.
The only modification done to the engine was to use 8x32 fittings for the crankcase to fuel pump diaphragm and 1/8 inch Tygon fuel tubing instead of the smaller 3/32 inch fuel tubing. Previously I showed a video clip of how well the engine ran like that so I was motivated to fly the engine to be sure it was working in the air too.

Also the carb should have the low speed needle set to about 6 turns out and the high speed needle set to about 1 and a half turns out. The LSN setting on my case was about right and I didn't need to change it from 6 turns out. Also the carb does spit fuel out, so it is not running too rich, it is just the nature of the beast, so to speak.

Here is the video clip of the maiden flight of the GP Escapade with the NGH 9cc gasoline engine installed in it. It turns out I mounted the fuel pump too loosely and it moved too much in the loops causing the engine to stall out. The carb high speed needle is sensitive to the fuel pump position changing too much. I thought my camera had take more videos that day, but it turns off after the record/stop button it pushed and I thought it was still on. I had flown the plane several times that day too. The other flights were much better and didn't result in a dead stick landing.
Great Planes Escapade with 9cc NGH engine Maiden Flight (5 min 11 sec)

earlwb is offline Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Gaui X3's
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 03, 2012, 03:48 PM
Mt Tamborine, Queensland, Australia
Joined May 2008
756 Posts
I looked at these motors but when I saw the horsepower rating I didn't bother. What's your view as to the power, what other motors have you used in the same or same sized plane?
tobermei is offline Find More Posts by tobermei
Old Sep 03, 2012, 09:19 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
12,742 Posts
Since it is a gasoline powered engine, it doesn't have the same power as a similar displacement glow engine. But it is a .56 cubic inch or 9cc gas engine. So it is power equivalent to a .40 to .45 size glow engine. The HP it puts out is equivalent to the old baffle piston, non-Schnuerle, .60/.61 glow engines, such as a Fox Eagle I 60, a Veco .61, a K&B .61, HB .61 and so on. The little NGH 9cc engine turns a 11x7 prop quite well.

I am flying one on my Ugly Stick and one on my Escapade, and it performs well as I expected it to. Both are .40 size planes. Both planes fly quite well the engines too. The planes aren't designed for hovering or doing low speed aerobatics like a 3D plane is, I think the NGH gas engine would be a poor choice for a 3D plane, unless you had nothing else you could use instead.

If you are looking for lots of power, this isn't the engine, you would want one of the .50 plus size glow engines then.

But if you happen to live where obtaining glow fuel is difficult to impossible, then you are limited to choosing a gasoline powered engine as you don't have anything else to choose from except maybe going with electric powered planes maybe. But it depends on if you can get the batteries or not then.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 04, 2012, 07:06 AM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
12,742 Posts
I tried taking several videos over the weekend, and this poor one was the best at the time.
I'll try making a better one next time I take the plane out.

Escapade with NGH 9cc engine flight video 02 m4v (10 min 49 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 04, 2012, 03:28 PM
Joined May 2008
756 Posts
Thanks. I do sport flying and acrobatics with a plan to do more pattern type of flying, so hovering with a plane isn't important to me. I'll reconsider the NGH after your comments.
Old Sep 05, 2012, 01:45 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
12,742 Posts
You are welcome. I actually have been considering a Hangar 9 Phoenix 7 Pattern plane myself. Originally I was going to stick in a .60 glow engine. But I have been deciding whether the little NGH 9cc gas engine would work OK on it or not. Worst case is I could put a NGH 17cc engine on it if the 9cc engine doesn't quite have the power for it. But Horizon says the Phoenix 7 plane will work with a .40 to .60 size engine. The plane in real life doesn't look all that big either. Years ago when I flew pattern I thought my planes were larger at the time, but maybe my memory is in error.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by earlwb; Sep 05, 2012 at 02:00 PM.
Old Sep 05, 2012, 04:20 PM
Joined May 2008
756 Posts
I currently have a Saito FG14 and FG20 petrol/gasolene 4 stroke. I've flown the FG14 a lot, it has similar power to a .70 size 4 stroke nitro. Still getting the FG20 sorted out. It should be a real hoot with over 2 hp.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 08:48 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
12,742 Posts
Another video clip of flying the Great Planes Escapade with the NGH 9cc engine.
In this case I had replaced the two NMH battery packs with a single LiFePo4 two cell pack, which helped lighten the plane up a little more. I also used a Tech Aero Ultra IBec to power the CDI module as well. The IBec uses a Aux channel on the RX and it can be turned on or off as desired too. So besides regulating the voltage for the CDI, it also acts as a remote on and off switch too.

I am not sure if the battery pack change reducing the weight a little bit or the new jug of gasoline and oil I mixed up improved performance or both. But the plane flies much better now and can take off better with more authority now. I took a chance reducing the oil content down closer to 20:1 using Amsoil 2 stroke 100:1 oil in the gasoline. That might have helped as it then is having less oil in the fuel.

I had also ran a doppler speed check on the plane, with the low fly by's, and it is going a hair under 65 mph too.

Flying the NGH 9cc gasoline engine on a Great Planes Escapade RC plane (flight 25) (12 min 19 sec)
RCG Plus Member