Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
This thread is privately moderated by pm1, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 01:55 PM
pm1
Germany, BY, Gestratz
Joined Oct 2008
244 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale.E View Post
how much disadvantage is there to 5hz nmea over 5hz ublox?
Try it. The position hold with ublox is very smooth. If it`s not ok with NMEA, you can give it another try to get to ublox. Maybe start then with the same configuration as my gps has at startup: 38400 baud+1 Hz.
pm1 is offline Find More Posts by pm1
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 16, 2012, 01:06 PM
Canada, BC, Nanaimo
Joined Sep 2012
13 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pm1 View Post
Try it. The position hold with ublox is very smooth. If it`s not ok with NMEA, you can give it another try to get to ublox. Maybe start then with the same configuration as my gps has at startup: 38400 baud+1 Hz.
ok, will do, now that I have some kind of communication with the GPS I will finish my build and see what I get.
Dale.E is offline Find More Posts by Dale.E
Old Oct 16, 2012, 08:49 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
17,926 Posts
I've had my RCTimer GPS/I2C-Nav board for a couple of weeks now. I haven't touched it...partly to scared to. Anyway, I got pointed to this thread by Andi. Post #1 looks to be very informative. I guess I need to just pull out my cables and give it a try. I hope I don't have to come back with a bunch of questions...
Vantasstic is offline Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 17, 2012, 10:50 AM
San Marcos, CA
Joined Aug 2009
2,795 Posts
Make sure to solder the FTDI or ISP header to the board and than upload the modified sketch from post #1. The stock sketch didn't work for me. Also due that I had to enable NMEA strings. I also patched the 2.1 MWC Sketch as described in #1.

Now it works perfectly. Even RTH seems to work - going to test on the weekend with a bit more time :-)
flyandi is offline Find More Posts by flyandi
Old Oct 18, 2012, 02:16 AM
Athens Greece
Joined Aug 2004
127 Posts
Iím new on that but thanks to you guys, sharing your experience here, allows us solving problems that normally would not be possible.

I also have a CN-06 ver2 with I2C-NAV board and a WultiWii FC from ΗΚ. I loaded the configuration provided by PM1 to the GPS and the sketch to the NAV board (many, many thanks PM1, you are doing a great job here).

It is working!!!! I donít know how I implemented the HP and RTH features, but now I can move forward and test them.

The strange thing was that on my I2C cable the rx-tx were crossed, so I had to change them. I couldnít find any similar info and thatís why I am mentioning it.
antomo is offline Find More Posts by antomo
Old Oct 18, 2012, 08:33 AM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
17,926 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by antomo View Post
Iím new on that but thanks to you guys, sharing your experience here, allows us solving problems that normally would not be possible.

I also have a CN-06 ver2 with I2C-NAV board and a WultiWii FC from ΗΚ. I loaded the configuration provided by PM1 to the GPS and the sketch to the NAV board (many, many thanks PM1, you are doing a great job here).

It is working!!!! I donít know how I implemented the HP and RTH features, but now I can move forward and test them.

The strange thing was that on my I2C cable the rx-tx were crossed, so I had to change them. I couldnít find any similar info and thatís why I am mentioning it.
Flyandi mentioned the mislabeled Tx/Rx wires a few posts back. So you're confirming it and I'll swap my wires around.

Now my question. The RCTimer GPS I got says V2.0 and the website says this version is 'fixed' or the baud rate issue. Can anyone confirm this or do I just need to go ahead and jumper pins 13&14 and heatshrink it (to protect the antenna cable/connector) and move on?
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 18, 2012, 01:43 PM
pm1
Germany, BY, Gestratz
Joined Oct 2008
244 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantasstic View Post
Flyandi mentioned the mislabeled Tx/Rx wires a few posts back. So you're confirming it and I'll swap my wires around.
Connect the board to the fc. If it shows contiously increasing i2c errors or garbage in the gui swap the wires.

Quote:
Now my question. The RCTimer GPS I got says V2.0 and the website says this version is 'fixed' or the baud rate issue.
*That* part is fixed. The GPS now stores the configuration permanently. The original code was written that way, that you configure your gps to 115200 baud and NMEA (and 5 Hz). You can set this by ucenter sw and try it.

Quote:
..or do I just need to go ahead and jumper pins 13&14
This is likely not neccesary with the new version. If you try to choose my sw (see the other changes in post 1), only set the baud rate to 38400 with u-center sw and flash my sketch

Quote:
and heatshrink it (to protect the antenna cable/connector) and move on?
That depends on you
Old Oct 18, 2012, 01:53 PM
CD-ROM Junkie
Camas, Washington, USA
Joined Apr 2001
13,749 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by antomo View Post

Hmmm.... maybe that will make mine work! I'll have to try it.
Art Newland is offline Find More Posts by Art Newland
Old Oct 18, 2012, 02:54 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
17,926 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pm1 View Post

*That* part is fixed. The GPS now stores the configuration permanently. The original code was written that way, that you configure your gps to 115200 baud and NMEA (and 5 Hz). You can set this by ucenter sw and try it.

This is likely not neccesary with the new version. If you try to choose my sw (see the other changes in post 1), only set the baud rate to 38400 with u-center sw and flash my sketch
Thanks. I'm a little confused now though. I will first plan on leaving pins 13 adn 14 un-jumpered. So should I just set the GPS baud to 115200 an 5hz and try? One spot you mentioned a baud of 115200 and then 38400 in the next. Sorry for now quite grasping this yet.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 18, 2012, 05:47 PM
San Marcos, CA
Joined Aug 2009
2,795 Posts
I read multiple times now that the GPS should be/is set to 5hz?? Is that correct? Why the lower sampling rate?

Do I have any issues using a GPS with 10Hz?
flyandi is offline Find More Posts by flyandi
Old Oct 18, 2012, 07:35 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
17,926 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyandi View Post
I read multiple times now that the GPS should be/is set to 5hz?? Is that correct? Why the lower sampling rate?

Do I have any issues using a GPS with 10Hz?
Andy, as I read it, there's no difference between the 5hz and 10 hz rate. The 10hz is just the 5hz data twice..so you're really only getting a 5hz rate, not different info with each reading.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 18, 2012, 08:39 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
17,926 Posts
Argggg...this is kicking my butt now. I connected my GPS to U-Center. With the stock settings it found satellites and appeared to be working...but on the 9600 baud rate. I loaded the config on post 1 and seemed to loose communications...even Hyperterminal was showing 'garbage' on both the 9600 and 115200 bauds. I connected back to U-center to try and redo...now, for some reason, my computer sees the GPS as a Serial Ball Point Mouse and sends my mouse out of control. I can't disable it in Win7 device manager because I have no control over the mouse pointer. FRUSTRATION set in. Any advice...is there a way to restore default settings...if I can get control of my mouse again?

Edit: Okay, I got mouse control back (thanks Google) and am back in operation. My V2 GPS does not like the GPS config from post 1. When I load it, it gets about half way through, hits some seting, and all my GPS data drops off. In the View Message/CFG section I set NAV to Pedestrian, PRT to UART1-115200 baud, Rate to 200ms for a 5hz freq. What and where are the other GPS things I need to set?
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Vantasstic; Oct 18, 2012 at 09:33 PM.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 02:26 AM
pm1
Germany, BY, Gestratz
Joined Oct 2008
244 Posts
Quote:
.even Hyperterminal was showing 'garbage' on both the 9600 and 115200 bauds.
Your V2 GPS likes the configuration. This "garbage" is intended. It is the binary protocol. Connect it to u-center at 115200, look in message view under ubx->nav, that really message are sent. You don't see the status of the single satellites in this setting, only if you have a fix and position/velocity. The other messages are switched off, we don't need them...

Quote:
One spot you mentioned a baud of 115200 and then 38400 in the next.
Yes,...
If you connect i2c and GPS, the baud rate must *match*. (You can adapt that, if you want in config.h of i2c board)

The orginal i2c code wants the GPS fixed to 115200. This was not easy to achieve, because power on baudrate was 9600 (with pin 13+14 connected 38400). You had to connect to u-center, set 115200. This setting was lost after some time (1 hour-1 day). You need an eeprom (the only new part on your V2 version) to store the baud rate permanently.

If you use my software without modification, it assumes the gps at 38400 baud*, NMEA. At power up this is automatically changed by i2c code to 115200 baud and binary protocol (the garbage).

* If have changed the download today, that it assumes factory settings (9600) by default. Maybe this is better to avoid confusion
Last edited by pm1; Oct 19, 2012 at 03:08 AM.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 02:30 AM
Athens Greece
Joined Aug 2004
127 Posts
When you change the baud rate you have to apply the changes, reconnect the u-center at the new sped (115200) and reapply the changes. (be careful not to power off the GPS before compete the procedure because the changes will be lost and you have to start from the beginning)
I suggest not to spend your time with the settings. Just load the config file provided by PM1. It works for me..
antomo is offline Find More Posts by antomo
Old Oct 19, 2012, 02:52 AM
pm1
Germany, BY, Gestratz
Joined Oct 2008
244 Posts
I have updated the description in post #1 a bit. I hope it is more clear now....