HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by skydvejam, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Sep 03, 2012, 04:37 AM
Once you taste flight...
United States, VA, Fort Belvoir
Joined Dec 2011
2,779 Posts
Build Log
Cherokee Babe Project

I will be posting pics soon, but with my latest project about to go in the air, time to work on the next one, might do a SPAD during this, even more so if I find some servo's and a motor cheep, even better if it is a busted motor that I get to fix, just the way I am with the hobby.
This will be a little closer, and a possible lead up to my first full kit build that will lead to a scratch build.
Anyways I was given an older Cherokee Babe by one of the local fliers here, just happens to be the same one I bought my last project from.
Still debating servo's for her, as well as a covering scheme, been looking at pictures of the full scales for some ideas.
Going E-powered since it is about a .20 size plane so I will have a balsa park flier E-Flite 450 motor on the burner for her, going to have to test some ESC's 20 AMP is what is called for, I most likely will use a 30 AMP because I like a little overhead. 3S 1800 most likely will be the order of the day, figuring out the best way to mount is going to be a little challenge, but that is part of the fun.
First order of work is to remove what is left of the old glittery covering. It has some work to be done in the tail section, some of the sheeting needs repairing, and some new sheeting added. Then will be covering, and adding some scale details as well as motor, ESC, battery and servo placements, and how to connect the control surfaces.
Hinges look good, going to work on removing the pins, if I can do that then it will assist in removing the old covering and placing the new covering on easier, if not then I will re-hinge with real hinges not CA's, sorry easy is not better....
Anyways if nothing else I should get around to taking pictures on my days off coming up, as well as some starting on removing what covering is left not looking forward to working with that gooey stuff.
skydvejam is offline Find More Posts by skydvejam
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 05, 2012, 06:13 PM
United States, VA, Fredericksburg
Joined Sep 2008
150 Posts
Any progress on the Cherokee?
fyrc22 is offline Find More Posts by fyrc22
Old Oct 06, 2012, 02:43 PM
Once you taste flight...
Joined Dec 2011
2,779 Posts
Just some slow sanding and pealing, finding out it is a little less messy to do it slowly by hand, also drawing up plans for the rear...
I do have the sheets for the wings, might go ahead and start patching the breaks in there.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 07:39 PM
United States, VA, Fredericksburg
Joined Sep 2008
150 Posts
any more progress? Has this become a winter project I have a few my self The OLY II, the Ultimate, the Sky Hawk.....need I say more
fyrc22 is offline Find More Posts by fyrc22
Old Oct 02, 2013, 08:33 PM
Once you taste flight...
Joined Dec 2011
2,779 Posts
Wow I have the power system, and I have been learning how to approach it properly. I almost have the glassing that I want to do figured out, just getting that tail right was harder than it first looked.
I have learned a lot and hope to complete her soon. Been doing a few scratch builds, and getting out of fuel planes, so I will have more time to dedicate to her, and she will have a nice power set up . Thinking I might want to lightly glass the wings though with the power I anticipate and make her not so much of a scale flier as a ballistic sleeper.