HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Oct 05, 2012, 09:10 AM
Genius CP, V450D01, CB180Z
bradheli1's Avatar
Canada, BC, Nelson
Joined Apr 2012
204 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerJupe View Post
After stripping many a tail gear I have my new tail ready to rock and roll.. just been waiting to swap it out for when my shaft wears out again.

few super tail strikes but no damage... maybe i got the 1 in one million super strength ones

On another note I was swapping battery plug on a new battery and wasn't thinking, cut both the wires at once causing a short and melting a wire off.

No biggie, open it up re-solder and test it out.
Charges fine, holds charge fine but when I plug it into the heli it just blinks and won't ever bind or anything.

Any clue whats going on?
I never actually tried the battery stock, but i assume its something i did
That can be a really exciting thing to do! Sometimes they will go BOOM if you do that. If you are going to try that again, please get video!

I bet you have either shorted a cell or damaged it. You aren't gettintg enough power to bind. Have you measure the voltage? I have 2 old CB180 batteries that are like that.

So you did the tail belt modification? Did you take pictures? Did you have any problems or fixes to my instructions?
bradheli1 is offline Find More Posts by bradheli1
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 05, 2012, 12:01 PM
Registered User
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Aug 2012
199 Posts
I have pictures but they aren't at my house... I did it at a friends cause he had a better drill set

I actually did it on an old dented tail boom but want to try it on a new one, but this time cut off the end where the tail is and then drill another hole vs grinding out longer slots.

But no real trouble, just took a few tries to figure out how deep to drill out the tail holder. Once i fitted it it was obvious that I wanted to hollow it out completely.

I'll use my meter to actually check the output voltage to the plugs, cause to the charging plug is just fine at 8.4v or something (same as the other battery i bought
KillerJupe is offline Find More Posts by KillerJupe
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 05, 2012, 12:17 PM
Genius CP, V450D01, CB180Z
bradheli1's Avatar
Canada, BC, Nelson
Joined Apr 2012
204 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerJupe View Post
I have pictures but they aren't at my house... I did it at a friends cause he had a better drill set

I actually did it on an old dented tail boom but want to try it on a new one, but this time cut off the end where the tail is and then drill another hole vs grinding out longer slots.

But no real trouble, just took a few tries to figure out how deep to drill out the tail holder. Once i fitted it it was obvious that I wanted to hollow it out completely.

I'll use my meter to actually check the output voltage to the plugs, cause to the charging plug is just fine at 8.4v or something (same as the other battery i bought
To test these batteries, you need to put them under load. Even a bad one will show good voltage levels until you load them. I bet you see that it dips hard when you load it. Try somthing about .25A or just try another known good battery.

I liked that with the filed out slots that I could adjust the tension of the belt. With new tail holes and the stock slot... you can't. I also found that after a few hours of flying, the belt softened up and needed to be tightened a bit. So thats how I ended up with a file in my hand!
bradheli1 is offline Find More Posts by bradheli1
Last edited by bradheli1; Oct 05, 2012 at 08:42 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 05, 2012, 02:32 PM
Registered User
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Aug 2012
199 Posts
humm good to know, cause i think my belt is a bit tighter than it should be. i'll try placing it in the sun and go for a fly so it will stretch out a tiny bit!

how did you get the slots to keep from sliding in the boom holder though?
I feel like unless you cut exactly the right amount off the end you'll just have to rely on clamping pressure.

Also just noticed something about my tail holder it seems to have a lot of slop in it.
I've never changed it so i could see over time its worn down a bit and loose, or is it normal?

http://youtu.be/XmR7vpG9nxo
KillerJupe is offline Find More Posts by KillerJupe
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 05, 2012, 07:33 PM
Registered User
United States, PA, Clarks Summit
Joined Oct 2005
168 Posts
Quote: Also just noticed something about my tail holder it seems to have a lot of slop in it.
I've never changed it so i could see over time its worn down a bit and loose, or is it normal?

KillerJupe, Remove the tail blade and check the screw that holds the blade holder in place, it just may be that it is loose and needs to be tightened.
bebev is offline Find More Posts by bebev
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 05, 2012, 08:33 PM
Genius CP, V450D01, CB180Z
bradheli1's Avatar
Canada, BC, Nelson
Joined Apr 2012
204 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerJupe View Post
humm good to know, cause i think my belt is a bit tighter than it should be. i'll try placing it in the sun and go for a fly so it will stretch out a tiny bit!

how did you get the slots to keep from sliding in the boom holder though?
I feel like unless you cut exactly the right amount off the end you'll just have to rely on clamping pressure.

Also just noticed something about my tail holder it seems to have a lot of slop in it.
I've never changed it so i could see over time its worn down a bit and loose, or is it normal?

http://youtu.be/XmR7vpG9nxo
Yes, I see too much wobble on the rear tail blade holder. Remove the blades and tighten the shaft. There are little screws to tighten in there. I'd thread lock (red) those.
bradheli1 is offline Find More Posts by bradheli1
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 05, 2012, 08:40 PM
Genius CP, V450D01, CB180Z
bradheli1's Avatar
Canada, BC, Nelson
Joined Apr 2012
204 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerJupe View Post
humm good to know, cause i think my belt is a bit tighter than it should be. i'll try placing it in the sun and go for a fly so it will stretch out a tiny bit!

how did you get the slots to keep from sliding in the boom holder though?
I feel like unless you cut exactly the right amount off the end you'll just have to rely on clamping pressure.

Also just noticed something about my tail holder it seems to have a lot of slop in it.
I've never changed it so i could see over time its worn down a bit and loose, or is it normal?

http://youtu.be/XmR7vpG9nxo
Other than the slots to keep it from twisting, its the clamping pressure that keeps it tight. There are lots of little screws to provide pressure. I haven't had problems, it stays nice and tight after an adjustment, but.... if you were having troubles with it being too loose, you could use 1 wrap of any thin tape and it would become much tighter!

I find, if its too loose, you will see rubber shavings and a jumpier tail. If its too tight, the whole belt setup gets tight and hard to turn causing hot ESC and short batter life. Its easy to get it right. We have done 3 and they all adjust well.

Like you say, maybe running it for a while will make it work for you.
bradheli1 is offline Find More Posts by bradheli1
Last edited by bradheli1; Oct 05, 2012 at 08:50 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 07, 2012, 02:09 AM
Registered User
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Aug 2012
199 Posts
well hooked it up and realized i didn't drill the tail out evenly. a drill press would have helped a lot to keep it straight.
need to take it off and open the top up a bit w/ rotary tool...
but it did fly, didn't seem too tight or anything
KillerJupe is offline Find More Posts by KillerJupe
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 07, 2012, 09:39 AM
Genius CP, V450D01, CB180Z
bradheli1's Avatar
Canada, BC, Nelson
Joined Apr 2012
204 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerJupe View Post
well hooked it up and realized i didn't drill the tail out evenly. a drill press would have helped a lot to keep it straight.
need to take it off and open the top up a bit w/ rotary tool...
but it did fly, didn't seem too tight or anything
Way to go! No big deal on the tail boom holder hole. I used a drill press, but the trick is to start with smaller drill bits and work your way up. That works pretty well.

So, you just had some rubber being filed off, but everything else is good?

I'd say that you are the first one I have seen complete the conversion. KillerJupe is number 1.... now we just need some pictures
bradheli1 is offline Find More Posts by bradheli1
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2012, 12:03 AM
Registered User
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Aug 2012
199 Posts
so I had issues with the tail slipping.

There were two little sprockets from the other 4f200, I used the one w/ the D in it on the front vertical spindle and the larger one w/o the D on the rear near the tail.

I just ended up "clamping" the rear shaft but because it was round, it can just slip and spin.

How did you keep it from spinning or did you use two of the little front shaft's w/ D's
KillerJupe is offline Find More Posts by KillerJupe
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2012, 01:21 AM
Registered User
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Aug 2012
199 Posts
So some pictures I took...
Some of those pieces never made it back to my assembly area after going to my work bench... time or order a set of bearings for the vertical tail shaft













KillerJupe is offline Find More Posts by KillerJupe
Last edited by KillerJupe; Oct 11, 2012 at 01:28 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2012, 09:23 AM
Genius CP, V450D01, CB180Z
bradheli1's Avatar
Canada, BC, Nelson
Joined Apr 2012
204 Posts
Nice job!

Thanks for posting all the pictures! It looks like it went well!

I am enjoying not having to fix tail gears several times per week. No damage back there on any of the machines since the conversions. Now, if someone could figure out what to do about the main gear that strip almost as easily, that would make the CB180Z an even better bird. Maybe thats my next project......

Are you back flying now? Did you have any problems?
bradheli1 is offline Find More Posts by bradheli1
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2012, 10:10 AM
Genius CP, V450D01, CB180Z
bradheli1's Avatar
Canada, BC, Nelson
Joined Apr 2012
204 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerJupe View Post
so I had issues with the tail slipping.

There were two little sprockets from the other 4f200, I used the one w/ the D in it on the front vertical spindle and the larger one w/o the D on the rear near the tail.

I just ended up "clamping" the rear shaft but because it was round, it can just slip and spin.

How did you keep it from spinning or did you use two of the little front shaft's w/ D's
The one one the front does have a D. The one on the rear has a spline that the little belt gear presses onto. If you look at my parts pictures you can see this. Is that rear shaft off the 200 or the 180Z?You need the one off the 200 with the splines.
bradheli1 is offline Find More Posts by bradheli1
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2012, 01:21 PM
Registered User
Joined Jan 2012
503 Posts
Brad I am going to jump back in here. Over 6 months ago I did some experiments on the main gear and how it was attached to the driveshaft.
I posted a thread on this but got no significant interest so I just dropped it.
I tried different materials for the pin and replaced them as they failed.
The ideal solution is a drive pin that is strong and flexible to take the shock of
impact but not break. This is a tough problem. My idea was to find something that would give and protect the gearteeth. Not a simple problem.
freezywilly is offline Find More Posts by freezywilly
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2012, 02:02 PM
Genius CP, V450D01, CB180Z
bradheli1's Avatar
Canada, BC, Nelson
Joined Apr 2012
204 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freezywilly View Post
Brad I am going to jump back in here. Over 6 months ago I did some experiments on the main gear and how it was attached to the driveshaft.
I posted a thread on this but got no significant interest so I just dropped it.
I tried different materials for the pin and replaced them as they failed.
The ideal solution is a drive pin that is strong and flexible to take the shock of
impact but not break. This is a tough problem. My idea was to find something that would give and protect the gearteeth. Not a simple problem.
I did try that and had some good results, but then sometimes, after a workout, the pin would shear off for no good reson. It was good thinking. I'm looking to get a buddy to machine me one just as wide or wider than my motor pinion maybe from ABS... something harder than this polyprop or nylon they are using now. I'd go aluminum but they would get pretty loud I think.

I know..... that will mean I just break something else. I think that most main gear problems are from crashes that break the blades too. So, the blades should take the hit, saving other stuff.
bradheli1 is offline Find More Posts by bradheli1
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Walkera CB180Z parts V200D01 Shazlee60 Electric Heli Talk 6 Aug 24, 2012 06:59 PM
Wanted Looking for Align TREX 500 Tail Boom & Tail Boom Case Belt drive Killer007 Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W) 0 Jul 12, 2012 02:48 AM
Found Looking for a Walkera V200D01 or CB180Z turnberry Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W) 3 Jul 04, 2012 08:50 PM
Sold 2 Walkera CB180z's og1974 Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W) 0 Jun 25, 2012 04:41 PM
Discussion help setup walkera cb180z tail lightningzeus 3D Electric Heli Flying 1 Jul 21, 2011 12:22 PM