HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 04, 2012, 07:03 PM
United States, PA, Lebanon
Joined Oct 2007
207 Posts
Flyzone Beaver with Spectrum Receiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffsend View Post
I'd just install your own receiver. Shouldn't have to cut a hatch if your Spectrum rx will fit in the same spot as the Tactic. It's just held in with foam tape. I did get the free Anylink,and only have 6 flights on it so far,but no problems yet.
My Flyzone Beaver is on order. I will add the spectrum receiver. I also plan on installing the trexler bush tires due to my rough runway. Great looking bright lights for evening flying.
Wheels on the stock version looks small for grass landing. Id add a new paint sceme but I might just add Krylon clear spray to protect the decals and stock paint. Flashing wing tip strobes look great and the landing light is bright. Any of the flyer with the floats look good. I dont have a lake near by my club so I have to make it a scale bush airplane.

This is one of the most scale EPO airplane I have seen and Paul-RC has photos and video making it look scale and like a full size DHC-2 Beaver.
ChrisFlysRC is online now Find More Posts by ChrisFlysRC
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 04, 2012, 07:40 PM
In the air! Not the dirt!
United States, MD, Laurel
Joined Oct 2011
87 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Smith View Post
I put the velcro in there and the first time I removed the battery the velcro came out with it. Nothing sticks to this crazy foam. Do you guys have to cut some foam from the battery hatch to get the 2200 3s packs to fit? I am flying mine with the recommended 1800 3s packs and they fit fine but I tried a 2200 3s and I couldn't close the hatch. Tom
Try wiping down the area with alcohol, it helps alot. I use the sticky back 3m stuff on several foamies and it sticks pretty well.
nodirt is offline Find More Posts by nodirt
Old Nov 04, 2012, 08:05 PM
In the air! Not the dirt!
United States, MD, Laurel
Joined Oct 2011
87 Posts
Maiden, a question and a shout out

First, I'll praise Hobbico/Flyzone support again. My right flap would not retract all the way no matter how hard I tried. I called them and they sent me a new set of wings, no fuss no muss, and they work perfectly. Way to go guys!

I managed to maiden today. It basically went well. It flew nicely and no crashes! Only two batteries though - doggone wind!
BUT,It did require quite alot of right aileron trim to fly level. And I mean quite a bit, like +3/4 of my Dx6i's adlustment. It would have dived to the left without it.
So my question is, any ideas? suggestions? Everything seems to be OK - motor thrust, CG etc. Anyone else have any issues with ailerons?
nodirt is offline Find More Posts by nodirt
Old Nov 04, 2012, 08:10 PM
Let me Fly please :^)
Montreal,Canada
Joined Mar 2003
3,439 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nodirt View Post
First, I'll praise Hobbico/Flyzone support again. My right flap would not retract all the way no matter how hard I tried. I called them and they sent me a new set of wings, no fuss no muss, and they work perfectly. Way to go guys!

I managed to maiden today. It basically went well. It flew nicely and no crashes! Only two batteries though - doggone wind!
BUT,It did require quite alot of right aileron trim to fly level. And I mean quite a bit, like +3/4 of my Dx6i's adlustment. It would have dived to the left without it.
So my question is, any ideas? suggestions? Everything seems to be OK - motor thrust, CG etc. Anyone else have any issues with ailerons?
If you have an incidence meter check for possible wing warp or warp on the stab.
When you trim do you have a stable flight or does it still turn left?
Paul-RC is online now Find More Posts by Paul-RC
Old Nov 04, 2012, 10:32 PM
"You're gonna hafta kill me"
McKinney TX
Joined Aug 2009
77 Posts
Quote:

I have the same issue. After applying right aileron trim it flies straight and level. I'm not too concerned. It is one of best flying planes I own.

Cool Hand Luke
Cool Hand Luke is offline Find More Posts by Cool Hand Luke
Old Nov 05, 2012, 06:05 AM
Joined Nov 2010
349 Posts
Quote:

I have had this same problem. I notice that the motor is mounted parallel to the firewall. There does not seem to be any thrust angle added to the mount. Is it possible that this is responsible for the deviation in the plane's trim?
ufale is offline Find More Posts by ufale
Old Nov 05, 2012, 06:15 AM
Montreal,Canada
Joined Mar 2003
3,439 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ufale View Post
I have had this same problem. I notice that the motor is mounted parallel to the firewall. There does not seem to be any thrust angle added to the mount. Is it possible that this is responsible for the deviation in the plane's trim?
On mine I have no trim correction needed .
I suspect he might have a bit of a warp or even unequal elevator could do it.
If its only on high power then it could be torque.
Old Nov 05, 2012, 07:50 AM
Rhinebeck CD-99,00,01,02
New Bern, NC
Joined Mar 2001
3,012 Posts
nodirt, you might want to check the lateral balance. One wing panel could be heavier that the other side. Can't imagine how in a moulded airplane, but hey, it's worth checking. Another thing might be what #4 says on page 12 in the owners manual. Pop the servo cover off the bottom of the wings and adjust the connectors to get the ailerons centered. Tom
Tom Smith is offline Find More Posts by Tom Smith
Last edited by Tom Smith; Nov 05, 2012 at 01:44 PM.
Old Nov 05, 2012, 01:39 PM
Montreal,Canada
Joined Mar 2003
3,439 Posts
Quote:
nodirt, you might want to check the lateral balance. One wing panel could be heavier that the other side. Can't imagine how in a moulded airplane, but hey, it's worth checking. Another thing might be what #4 says on page 12. Pop the servo cover off the aileron servos and adjust the connectors to get the ailerons centered. Tom
On my friends Beaver the elevators were not equal on both sides so he always had a right turn so I bent the wire carefully until it was ok and now it needs no more correction.
Old Nov 05, 2012, 03:18 PM
Rhinebeck CD-99,00,01,02
New Bern, NC
Joined Mar 2001
3,012 Posts
I just sprayed my floats with Pactra polycarbonate paint, the kind the guys use to paint lexan car bodies. Tried it on a test piece and it stuck well and didn't eat the foam so I dusted 3 light coats on the floats and no distortion of the foam. I figured if this paint sticks to those slick lexan car bodies and remains flexible after drying it should do the same on these floats. They look pretty decent. I filled the few dents they had with lightweight spackle and then sanded them before painting. Pactra doesn't sell a primer for this paint because the car guys paint the inside of the body so from the outside they look really shiny. We'll see how it holds up. Tom.
Tom Smith is offline Find More Posts by Tom Smith
Old Nov 05, 2012, 03:24 PM
Montreal,Canada
Joined Mar 2003
3,439 Posts
Quote:
I just sprayed my floats with Pactra polycarbonate paint, the kind the guys use to paint lexan car bodies. Tried it on a test piece and it stuck well and didn't eat the foam so I dusted 3 light coats on the floats and no distortion of the foam. I figured if this paint sticks to those slick lexan car bodies and remains flexible after drying it should do the same on these floats. They look pretty decent. I filled the few dents they had with lightweight spackle and then sanded them before painting. Pactra doesn't sell a primer for this paint because the car guys paint the inside of the body so from the outside they look really shiny. We'll see how it holds up. Tom.
Hope it works out good Tom , we need to find the miracle paint for this Bird
I'm almost ready to give the first coat of paint on my Beaver #2 but I didn't get it yet.
I'm gona go still with Krylon Fusion white for now then I have to think of a color scheme
Old Nov 05, 2012, 03:35 PM
Scale Foam Flyer
United States, AR, Cabot
Joined Oct 2007
2,843 Posts
I use Krylon Fusion on EPO/Aerocell/CA safe types of foam, and Testors Model Masters on non-EPO foam. It has served me well for many years now.

-Cub
Cubcrazy is online now Find More Posts by Cubcrazy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Carbon Z Cub Floats are here!!
Old Nov 05, 2012, 03:40 PM
Montreal,Canada
Joined Mar 2003
3,439 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubcrazy View Post
I use Krylon Fusion on EPO/Aerocell/CA safe types of foam, and Testors Model Masters on non-EPO foam. It has served me well for many years now.

-Cub
Good stuff.
Thats what I got on my floats and its really holding well up to now.
Krylon Fusion camoflage as a base color and then Testors chrome paint.
decals and weathering and finish with verathane clear satin finish.
If the water and sand didn't wear out the paint on the floats then it should be ok for the plane itself.
Old Nov 05, 2012, 03:45 PM
Scale Foam Flyer
United States, AR, Cabot
Joined Oct 2007
2,843 Posts
How bout applying some Ultracote to at least the bottom surface of the float? It would definately add some resiliancy, and be slick. If you coverd the entire float, then you could just paint it with Ultracote friendly paint. Maybe some clear iron on film..

-Cub
Cubcrazy is online now Find More Posts by Cubcrazy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Carbon Z Cub Floats are here!!
Old Nov 05, 2012, 03:51 PM
Montreal,Canada
Joined Mar 2003
3,439 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubcrazy View Post
How bout applying some Ultracote to at least the bottom surface of the float? It would definately add some resiliancy, and be slick. If you coverd the entire float, then you could just paint it with Ultracote friendly paint. Maybe some clear iron on film..

-Cub
I'm planning on trying that on my other floats < I think it would definatly work.
As long as it sticks on well with low heat on the foam.