HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 28, 2012, 10:15 PM
Joined Sep 2008
43 Posts
The two float mounts on the rear of the fuselage had absolutely no glue applied at the factory. They popped right out, into the fuselage as I was trying to screw in the float strut. The only way to glue them in would be to cut a little access hatch. What a bummer. Such a nice looking plane, but sketchy quality. Same thing happened to my friend's geebee from flyzone, 2 drops of glue on the motorbox, it completely fell off.
DanReidy is offline Find More Posts by DanReidy
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 28, 2012, 11:54 PM
Hawk Fanatic
United States, KY, Louisville
Joined Jul 2008
7,353 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanReidy View Post
The two float mounts on the rear of the fuselage had absolutely no glue applied at the factory. They popped right out, into the fuselage as I was trying to screw in the float strut. The only way to glue them in would be to cut a little access hatch. What a bummer. Such a nice looking plane, but sketchy quality. Same thing happened to my friend's geebee from flyzone, 2 drops of glue on the motorbox, it completely fell off.
Thats wierd. Mine was perfect. But that sucks that they fell inside the plane. Hope you get it fixed.
SkylineFlyer is online now Find More Posts by SkylineFlyer
Old Sep 29, 2012, 12:38 AM
352nd FG Association
United States, GA, Decatur
Joined Mar 2004
4,184 Posts
And..... adding yet another plane to my list. Geeesh, I'm gonna be broke before Christmas!
Moonbeam is offline Find More Posts by Moonbeam
Old Sep 29, 2012, 07:41 AM
Closed Account
Joined Sep 2011
1,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanReidy View Post
I had the same issue with the right rear mount. It just started spinning when my screw was about half way in.
ClosedAccount is offline Find More Posts by ClosedAccount
Old Sep 29, 2012, 08:07 PM
Rhinebeck CD-99,00,01,02
New Bern, NC
Joined Mar 2001
3,049 Posts
Mine is on the way from Tower. Keep the reviews and comments coming. Tom
Tom Smith is offline Find More Posts by Tom Smith
Old Sep 29, 2012, 08:18 PM
United States, CT, East Hartford
Joined Jul 2008
524 Posts
Just pushed the buy now myself. I've always liked the look of the DH Beaver on floats. I personally like the color scheme, should be easy to see. Nice bright contrasting colors.
handyman 220 is offline Find More Posts by handyman 220
Old Sep 29, 2012, 08:20 PM
Hawk Fanatic
Joined Jul 2008
7,353 Posts
I got the maiden done on land. OMG! This thing flys fantastic. I haven't had a chance to fly on water, but that will be coming soon. Flight times are amazing. With touch and go's and 1/2 throttle to maintain level flight, I was able to fly for about 11-12 minutes on a single 2200mAh 3s lipo. I can't imagine anyone flying at full throttle all the time, but if they did, they would probably get a good 4-5 minutes. Now, while this plane seems amazing, it has a small flaw. Well, at least mine does. Once the video is uploaded, you guys will be able to see the flaw. While flying at 1/2 throttle and punching the stick to full throttle, the motor would occasionally seize up. Why? No idea! Bad motor? Bad esc? One thing I did note is that with the throttle off and slowly increasing it to get the prop to spin, it would stutter and then kick in. I was into my 4th flight today and started to get careless with my tight turns in low altitude and smacked the runway on the nose. The shaft snapped right off! This was not a hard hit! (SEE LATER POST THAT EXPLAINS WHY THIS SHAFT SNAPPED). Since I was having an issue with this motor anyways, I'm sure my LHS or Hobbico will take care of this. If not, hey, I'll buy another motor. This plane is that good. Its definitely my new favorite slow scale flyer that will do amazing tricks in the air as well.
Last edited by SkylineFlyer; Sep 30, 2012 at 01:08 PM.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 11:00 PM
Hawk Fanatic
Joined Jul 2008
7,353 Posts
So here is a pic of the motor removed from the plane compared to a motor that comes out of the hobbyking b-17. The b-17 motor is a 750kv motor that is shallower than the beaver 850kv motor. Flyzone lists our motor as a 41-19-850kv motor. After measuring the diameter and depth of this motor, they don't exactly have the right measurements. My measurements for this motor is 40.5-17. The hk b-17 motor is the exact diameter however its depth is only 14mm. Not sure if buying a new motor from HK is plausible, and if so, which one? None of them have the shaft coming out of the back side of the motor like the Beaver.

Any suggestions?

We could order this one as a replacement, however, the mounting plate is totally wrong and nothing like the Beaver mounting plate.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ner_Motor.html
Last edited by SkylineFlyer; Sep 29, 2012 at 11:13 PM.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 11:10 PM
Hawk Fanatic
Joined Jul 2008
7,353 Posts
Here is the video. Its really an amazing plane.

FlyZone Select Scale DeHavilland Beaver Maiden Flight Off Land (3 min 39 sec)
Old Sep 30, 2012, 01:31 AM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Nov 2003
1,486 Posts
I have the 4119 900Kv from the FW190, it has the same reversed shaft. I upgraded the power system in my FW190 and have not found a use for this motor yet.
Eclipse_7 is offline Find More Posts by Eclipse_7
Old Sep 30, 2012, 01:51 AM
Hawk Fanatic
Joined Jul 2008
7,353 Posts
Problem 1: Broken Shaft - Resolved -Ok guys, I got the shaft replaced. Nothing like a little ingenuity. I took the threaded shaft off of the other motor, cut the threads off and low and behold the shafts are the same length.

Problem 2: Motor cutting out intermittently - Resolved - One of the banana connectors from the motor to the esc was no good. It would just slide in and out of the female connector just by touching the wire. Its my guess that it would lose contact and then regain contact causing the intermittent stutter.

Going back to problem 1 regarding the shaft breaking, well, here is my thought. Upon close examination of the two halves of the shafts next to each other, it appears that there was a machined groove all the way around the shaft. So this already thin shaft was already weakened from material being removed. This groove was right at the entery of the bearing on the front of the motor.

I'll definitely be asking for a replacement motor from Hobbico. Again, regardless of these problems, this is still an awesome flyer and I'll keep it as one of my favorites for the bringing down to the field.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 01:58 AM
Hawk Fanatic
Joined Jul 2008
7,353 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipse_7 View Post
I have the 4119 900Kv from the FW190, it has the same reversed shaft. I upgraded the power system in my FW190 and have not found a use for this motor yet.
What power system did you decide to go with? I'd love to know.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 04:28 AM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Nov 2003
1,486 Posts
A Mega 22/20/4, it was fairly fast.
Eclipse_7 is offline Find More Posts by Eclipse_7
Old Sep 30, 2012, 11:07 AM
Closed Account
Joined Apr 2008
3,402 Posts
yikes, starting to get a little nervous about this bird. Not digging that bell motor for one.......

I want it and it's waiting at the LHS for me but I think wanting to replace the rx and now possibly the motor is putting me on the fence now about getting it.
BrentP is offline Find More Posts by BrentP
Old Sep 30, 2012, 11:55 AM
That's a funny word
NE Ohio
Joined Apr 2003
3,686 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkylineFlyer View Post
So here is a pic of the motor removed from the plane compared to a motor that comes out of the hobbyking b-17. The b-17 motor is a 750kv motor that is shallower than the beaver 850kv motor. Flyzone lists our motor as a 41-19-850kv motor. After measuring the diameter and depth of this motor, they don't exactly have the right measurements. My measurements for this motor is 40.5-17. The hk b-17 motor is the exact diameter however its depth is only 14mm. Not sure if buying a new motor from HK is plausible, and if so, which one? None of them have the shaft coming out of the back side of the motor like the Beaver.

Any suggestions?

We could order this one as a replacement, however, the mounting plate is totally wrong and nothing like the Beaver mounting plate.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ner_Motor.html
I have that HK motor on the way and will be happy to post any measurements if needed. (I don't have a DHCbeaver yet)
gulio is offline Find More Posts by gulio