Old Sep 27, 2012, 12:46 PM
"Aircraftus Fragmentum"
Motor City USA
Joined Mar 2007
3,620 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy2No View Post
It doesn't surprise me to find my friend never read the manual

I've never felt the need to use threadlocker on a set screw, but I do sometimes replace set screws that come with things with a better one. On some, the sides of the hole in the head wear away before you can tighten them enough - usually the allen key get stuck because it digs into the soft crappy metal instead of turning it hard enough.

Putting CA on is a bit too permanent, for my liking. It means cutting or breaking the rod stopper off, if you ever need to remove it.
Rubber cement, Foamtac or UHU Por works wonders in place of Threadlocker....actual I prefer it. It's all good..... I envision the "BUY IT NOW" button getting pressed today on this beauty.

Looking forward to Skyline's maiden report out.
kydawg1 is online now Find More Posts by kydawg1
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 27, 2012, 01:00 PM
Hawk Fanatic
United States, KY, Louisville
Joined Jul 2008
7,264 Posts
Quote:
It doesn't surprise me to find my friend never read the manual

I've never felt the need to use threadlocker on a set screw, but I do sometimes replace set screws that come with things with a better one. On some, the sides of the hole in the head wear away before you can tighten them enough - usually the allen key get stuck because it digs into the soft crappy metal instead of turning it hard enough.

Putting CA on is a bit too permanent, for my liking. It means cutting or breaking the rod stopper off, if you ever need to remove it.
No it doesn't. All it means is using some CA Debonder. I do that all the time and it softens up the CA to readjust the rod. I love it as it takes the worries away.
SkylineFlyer is online now Find More Posts by SkylineFlyer
Old Sep 27, 2012, 01:37 PM
Hawk Fanatic
Joined Jul 2008
7,264 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kydawg1 View Post

Looking forward to Skyline's maiden report out.

Me too. I just need to get permission from my friend to fly on his lake.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 09:47 PM
Drum, Pa
Joined May 2006
229 Posts
Can anyone that already has this plane confirm that that it uses a regular style Rx? ( i.e. the servo wires would plug right into a Spektrum Rx.) I have an AnyLink but would prefer the simplicity.

Thanks.........
OnTheEdge is offline Find More Posts by OnTheEdge
Old Sep 27, 2012, 09:49 PM
Hawk Fanatic
Joined Jul 2008
7,264 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheEdge View Post
Can anyone that already has this plane confirm that that it uses a regular style Rx? ( i.e. the servo wires would plug right into a Spektrum Rx.) I have an AnyLink but would prefer the simplicity.

Thanks.........

Heres the confirmation. I pulled the Tactic Rx out and put in my Spektrum AR500. Works great!
Old Sep 28, 2012, 10:26 AM
Landin' On The Canopy BAD
Lee's Summit, MO
Joined Jan 2008
1,481 Posts
subbed
F-86FLIER4LIFE is offline Find More Posts by F-86FLIER4LIFE
Old Sep 28, 2012, 12:14 PM
NaN
Manchester, UK
Joined Nov 2005
3,773 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkylineFlyer View Post
No it doesn't. All it means is using some CA Debonder. I do that all the time and it softens up the CA to readjust the rod. I love it as it takes the worries away.
I guess that works provided you put the threadlock, POR, or whatever in first to keep the CA from creeping in to the threads. There's no way debonder would shift if then. A decent quality set screw (hardened steel) doesn't move until you force it to, so no need for goo of any kind. No doubt the supplied ones don't fit that description.
Andy2No is offline Find More Posts by Andy2No
Old Sep 28, 2012, 12:22 PM
Hawk Fanatic
Joined Jul 2008
7,264 Posts
Quote:
I guess that works provided you put the threadlock, POR, or whatever in first to keep the CA from creeping in to the threads. There's no way debonder would shift if then. A decent quality set screw (hardened steel) doesn't move until you force it to, so no need for goo of any kind. No doubt the supplied ones don't fit that description.
I think your totally loss as to what I do. I put threadlocker on the set screw to keep it from working its way out. Then on the outside of the push rod stopper, on the sides.... where the push rod goes through, I put a dab of CA on it.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 12:27 PM
Closed Account
Joined Apr 2008
3,402 Posts
my beaver arrived at SN today, won't make it there till next week though.
BrentP is offline Find More Posts by BrentP
Old Sep 28, 2012, 12:31 PM
NaN
Manchester, UK
Joined Nov 2005
3,773 Posts
SkylineFlyer,

Yes, that's exactly what I thought you meant. I was just commenting that using CA alone wouldn't work - you'd never get it off again. When I bought my Minimag, second hand, someone had clearly done just that (CA on it's own, wicking into the threads), with the set screws and the nuts on the rod stoppers. I had to replace the lot, and one of the control horns, because I messed one up getting them off.
Andy2No is offline Find More Posts by Andy2No
Old Sep 28, 2012, 01:07 PM
Hawk Fanatic
Joined Jul 2008
7,264 Posts
Quote:
SkylineFlyer,

Yes, that's exactly what I thought you meant. I was just commenting that using CA alone wouldn't work - you'd never get it off again. When I bought my Minimag, second hand, someone had clearly done just that (CA on it's own, wicking into the threads), with the set screws and the nuts on the rod stoppers. I had to replace the lot, and one of the control horns, because I messed one up getting them off.
No, thats not what I'm saying. Nor what I'm doing. THREADLOCKER on the threads. CA on the push rod where it enters the hole. Don't use thin CA as that could wick in. I'm using medium or thick. Whichever is available. I just put it there to act as a stopper, just incase the set screw stops holding the push rod in place. And yes, CA Debonder (remover) will soften up that dab of CA so that you can pull the push rod out and reposition it if needed.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 02:36 PM
Closed Account
Joined Sep 2011
1,657 Posts
Mine just arrived. I only have a couple minor-complaints

1) I wish the wing mounting was different. The click tabs don't seem very solid to me and the wings really need to stay on once they are mounted because the flap servo is mounted in the cockpit. That alone is going to make transporting this plane a PITA for me with my small car.

2) The float rudders are a beast to setup. I don't know how they could've done them any better while still keeping the scale look, though, so I can't complain about those.
ClosedAccount is offline Find More Posts by ClosedAccount
Old Sep 28, 2012, 03:10 PM
Hawk Fanatic
Joined Jul 2008
7,264 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by {}{steve}{} View Post
Mine just arrived. I only have a couple minor-complaints

1) I wish the wing mounting was different. The click tabs don't seem very solid to me and the wings really need to stay on once they are mounted because the flap servo is mounted in the cockpit. That alone is going to make transporting this plane a PITA for me with my small car.

2) The float rudders are a beast to setup. I don't know how they could've done them any better while still keeping the scale look, though, so I can't complain about those.
The click tabs are more than solid enough. Yes, a PITA to take on and off due to the flaps being off of one servo. But the way the tube go through the cockpit and the tabs lock it in place, thats more than sufficient.

I really wish they put flap servos in the wings, then this would be a non issue for those that need to transport this plane.

The float rudders I agree, they sure were aggrivating to set up. But they work. I don't like how the lines are run directly to the back though. I keep bumping them with my fingers.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 03:27 PM
Closed Account
Joined Sep 2011
1,657 Posts
My front right clip doesn't seem to "CLICK!" (as the directions say)

That's more of what I was referring to rather than their strength...Just a poor description on my part. I would've preferred a one piece wing assembly that bolts down, but I still love this plane. It's just going to be tough for me to transport... did I mention I have a Smart car? Believe it or not, I can usually squeeze 2-3 planes this size in it (if the wing detaches).
ClosedAccount is offline Find More Posts by ClosedAccount
Old Sep 28, 2012, 08:04 PM
Drum, Pa
Joined May 2006
229 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkylineFlyer View Post
Heres the confirmation. I pulled the Tactic Rx out and put in my Spektrum AR500. Works great!
Thanks........
OnTheEdge is offline Find More Posts by OnTheEdge