HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 26, 2012, 02:52 PM
Drum, Pa
Joined May 2006
229 Posts
I don't need another plane but this looks real nice. Also works with 2200 3S packs I already have. Floats could use some color but easy enough to do with a can.
OnTheEdge is offline Find More Posts by OnTheEdge
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 26, 2012, 03:25 PM
Hawk Fanatic
United States, KY, Louisville
Joined Jul 2008
7,351 Posts
Picked mine up today! Yey!

It smells like new shoes. Haha
SkylineFlyer is offline Find More Posts by SkylineFlyer
Old Sep 26, 2012, 06:09 PM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Feb 2009
52 Posts
what kind of battery connector does the ESC have? can i use a PZ battery on the ESC directly?
airfoilz is offline Find More Posts by airfoilz
Old Sep 26, 2012, 06:31 PM
That's a funny word
NE Ohio
Joined Apr 2003
3,686 Posts
It comes with ST 3.5 connectors http://www.supertigre.com/electric-power/adapters.html
gulio is offline Find More Posts by gulio
Old Sep 26, 2012, 08:20 PM
Joined May 2006
175 Posts
Man...... This is tempting.......
aeromechanic1 is offline Find More Posts by aeromechanic1
Old Sep 27, 2012, 06:19 AM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,497 Posts
Awesome pics - thanks! Looks good on the ground can't wait to hear for flight report.
pda4you is offline Find More Posts by pda4you
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 27, 2012, 06:50 AM
NaN
Manchester, UK
Joined Nov 2005
3,782 Posts
Agreed. Good pictures, SkylineFlyer.

How about one down through the hatch in the top of the cockpit, showing the two rod stoppers for the tail?

My friend with the ST Model one (whose elevator pushrod slipped out) said those were prefitted at the factory, so he hadn't thought to tighten them... You'll need to tighten them
Andy2No is offline Find More Posts by Andy2No
Old Sep 27, 2012, 07:50 AM
Hawk Fanatic
United States, KY, Louisville
Joined Jul 2008
7,351 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pda4you View Post
Awesome pics - thanks! Looks good on the ground can't wait to hear for flight report.
Thanks pda4you. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy2No View Post
Agreed. Good pictures, SkylineFlyer.

How about one down through the hatch in the top of the cockpit, showing the two rod stoppers for the tail?

My friend with the ST Model one (whose elevator pushrod slipped out) said those were prefitted at the factory, so he hadn't thought to tighten them... You'll need to tighten them
You'll definitely want to remove the set screw and add thread locker also. Its recommended in manual. After everything is built and you have finalized your trim settings, I add a drop of THICK CA to each side of the push rod stopper, then I spray some kicker to quickly harden the CA to keep it from possibly dripping down onto the servo itself.

Heres a video I did for a walk around for the plane.

FlyZone DeHavilland Beaver Select Scale Review (4 min 0 sec)
SkylineFlyer is offline Find More Posts by SkylineFlyer
Last edited by SkylineFlyer; Sep 27, 2012 at 07:55 AM.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 07:56 AM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,695 Posts
The LEDs look cool too. Nice media Jon.
Bajora is online now Find More Posts by Bajora
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 27, 2012, 08:57 AM
Closed Account
Joined Sep 2011
1,657 Posts
Mine arrives at the office tomorrow...It's going to be hard to get any work done
ClosedAccount is offline Find More Posts by ClosedAccount
Old Sep 27, 2012, 09:13 AM
USA, IL, Champaign
Joined Jul 2005
1,038 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkylineFlyer View Post
Thanks pda4you. :-)

You'll definitely want to remove the set screw and add thread locker also. Its recommended in manual. After everything is built and you have finalized your trim settings, I add a drop of THICK CA to each side of the push rod stopper, then I spray some kicker to quickly harden the CA to keep it from possibly dripping down onto the servo itself.

Heres a video I did for a walk around for the plane.
Thanks for the pics, video and very good information. I would not be too concerned about the amount of the flap throw on this model. You mentioned just how light the plane is which translates into very light wing loading. Flaps are really not needed at all. Using flaps with the throw you've shown in the video will be highly effective.

When flying off of water, the most important item to address is waterproofing. I wonder if Hobbico did any waterproofing on the rx and esc? We are using Corrosion X on the ESC and RX on our float planes. You can use a balloon-cable tie on the RX as an alternative. Before flying off of water I read that YOU WILL FLIP OVER YOUR PLANE, you can count on it. We have been flying on water for two years now. I have found that no matter how good you think you are on the sticks, a quick wind shift/gust will flip these planes over in a heartbeat. Waterproofing is essential unless you want to keep replacing the ESC and RX and cut your flying day short.
Phoenex is offline Find More Posts by Phoenex
Old Sep 27, 2012, 09:37 AM
"Aircraftus Fragmentum"
Motor City USA
Joined Mar 2007
3,667 Posts
Looks really sweet. Thanks Skyline.
kydawg1 is offline Find More Posts by kydawg1
Old Sep 27, 2012, 10:26 AM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Jan 2007
16 Posts
Thanks for pics!! love those panel details
mgivens is offline Find More Posts by mgivens
Old Sep 27, 2012, 12:30 PM
NaN
Manchester, UK
Joined Nov 2005
3,782 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkylineFlyer View Post
It doesn't surprise me to find my friend never read the manual

I've never felt the need to use threadlocker on a set screw, but I do sometimes replace set screws that come with things with a better one. On some, the sides of the hole in the head wear away before you can tighten them enough - usually the allen key get stuck because it digs into the soft crappy metal instead of turning it hard enough.

Putting CA on is a bit too permanent, for my liking. It means cutting or breaking the rod stopper off, if you ever need to remove it.
Andy2No is offline Find More Posts by Andy2No