SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 13, 2012, 10:37 PM
Let me Fly please :^)
Montreal,Canada
Joined Mar 2003
3,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Smith View Post
Paul, the wing strut at the fuselage fits best when it is sandwiched between the fuselage and the gear leg. If it is mounted to the outside of the gear leg it seems to be to long and pushes up on the wing when the wing bolt is installed.
Ok now my next question , the gear leg meaning the wheel config or float strut?

If its the wheel config I notice there is a cutout in the foam fearing to allow for strut attachement
Paul-RC is offline Find More Posts by Paul-RC
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 13, 2012, 10:43 PM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Jun 2010
286 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul-RC View Post
Ok now my next question , the gear leg meaning the wheel config or float strut?
Wheels.

I'm starting to wonder if the landing gear is the optional component; that is, the plane was designed with floats and then landing gears were added.
GP73 is offline Find More Posts by GP73
Old Oct 13, 2012, 10:47 PM
Montreal,Canada
Joined Mar 2003
3,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GP73 View Post
Wheels.

I'm starting to wonder if the landing gear is the optional component; that is, the plane was designed with floats and then landing gears were added.
That would make sense to me too
Old Oct 13, 2012, 11:05 PM
Hawk Fanatic
United States, KY, Louisville
Joined Jul 2008
7,487 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkylineFlyer View Post
I got the maiden done on land. OMG! This thing flys fantastic. I haven't had a chance to fly on water, but that will be coming soon. Flight times are amazing. With touch and go's and 1/2 throttle to maintain level flight, I was able to fly for about 11-12 minutes on a single 2200mAh 3s lipo. I can't imagine anyone flying at full throttle all the time, but if they did, they would probably get a good 4-5 minutes. Now, while this plane seems amazing, it has a small flaw. Well, at least mine does. Once the video is uploaded, you guys will be able to see the flaw. While flying at 1/2 throttle and punching the stick to full throttle, the motor would occasionally seize up. Why? No idea! Bad motor? Bad esc? One thing I did note is that with the throttle off and slowly increasing it to get the prop to spin, it would stutter and then kick in. I was into my 4th flight today and started to get careless with my tight turns in low altitude and smacked the runway on the nose. The shaft snapped right off! This was not a hard hit! (SEE LATER POST THAT EXPLAINS WHY THIS SHAFT SNAPPED). Since I was having an issue with this motor anyways, I'm sure my LHS or Hobbico will take care of this. If not, hey, I'll buy another motor. This plane is that good. Its definitely my new favorite slow scale flyer that will do amazing tricks in the air as well.

See post #82. I have a pic of it. The gear leg actually has a notch in the foam that allows for the struts to go in between the fuse and gear leg.
SkylineFlyer is online now Find More Posts by SkylineFlyer
Old Oct 13, 2012, 11:11 PM
In the air! Not the dirt!
United States, MD, Laurel
Joined Oct 2011
87 Posts
Question: Do you guys worry about "recovery" when flying off water? What does one do if something happens and the plane winds up 80 feet offshore in a cold lake?
Fishing rod?
Recovery boat?
nodirt is offline Find More Posts by nodirt
Old Oct 13, 2012, 11:13 PM
UAV R&D Pilot/MC/PO
Joined Jun 2006
831 Posts
Dang it so a friend of mine told me about the Fly Zone Millennium and heck now I want that to!
Sukhoikid is offline Find More Posts by Sukhoikid
Old Oct 13, 2012, 11:15 PM
Montreal,Canada
Joined Mar 2003
3,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nodirt View Post
Question: Do you guys worry about "recovery" when flying off water? What does one do if something happens and the plane winds up 80 feet offshore in a cold lake?
Fishing rod?
Recovery boat?
Look what I built for rescue and I had my first rescue of a friends Icon A5

Jean-A5-Maiden-crash (1 min 47 sec)
Old Oct 13, 2012, 11:18 PM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Jun 2010
286 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nodirt View Post
Fishing rod?
Recovery boat?
I have the ProBoat retrieval decoy.

http://www.proboatmodels.com/Product...ProdID=PRB3650

Old Oct 13, 2012, 11:31 PM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Jun 2010
286 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkylineFlyer View Post
See post #82. I have a pic of it. The gear leg actually has a notch in the foam that allows for the struts to go in between the fuse and gear leg.
But do you put the strut on top of the metal support or behind?

EDIT: I just took the landing gears apart again, there is no notch behind, the notch is in front but mounting the struts there puts quite a bit of stress on the wings.

I've installed mine behind the metal plate, I will have to live with the gap I guess.
Last edited by GP73; Oct 14, 2012 at 12:10 AM. Reason: added info
Old Oct 14, 2012, 12:08 AM
Hawk Fanatic
Joined Jul 2008
7,487 Posts
Behind, otherwise the holes won't line up.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 12:12 AM
Atlanta, GA
Joined Jan 2010
21 Posts
I got my Beaver Yesterday and configured it with the Floats right away, I bought this plane for the reason of needing a decent plane to plop into the pond across the street and have some fun. Everything looked great and went together just right! I have been flying RC for about 10 years now since I was 14 years old and I have built many Kits and Arfs from many different companies! I am an A&P Mechanic and love all Aircraft. But this.... This Beaver is Amazing and it is worth every penny of the $200 bucks I spent on it. I did add glue to the motor mount just as a precaution and put glue on the screws holding the mount on the firewall and put thread lock on the servo horn standoffs as a metal on metal precaution. I flew her today with about 7-8 MPH winds, it does weather vane in the water, but i expected that with wind and also gets bumped pretty good, but it flew great and handles the wind just fine. I can't wait to get this thing in the air at dusk with no wind at all. For everyone who has had problems with this plane I am sorry and hope you get them all resolved. I don't post on RCG much but this is a Great Product and I'm very happy with the plane and price. I am using a DX-7 with this bird and didn't really need the receiver, even so i would still pay $200 for another. I have seen and flow alot of the select scale planes from Flyzone and quite honestly was not impressed but this is nice and by far the best! I look forward to adding more scale details to this bird and will post pictures as I do.
...Rob
littlebird00 is offline Find More Posts by littlebird00
Old Oct 14, 2012, 12:23 AM
Hawk Fanatic
Joined Jul 2008
7,487 Posts
Here.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 07:40 AM
Montreal,Canada
Joined Mar 2003
3,657 Posts
I didn't like the fact that the water rudders didn't flip up and after doing the photoshoot on the water doing some taxiing I decided to make my own flip up rudders.
THe original rudders were hitting rocks and getting stuck in the weeds that I could not see .
Now the back of the floats is flush when the rudders flip up.
Also added the air intake pipe on top behind the cowl
Old Oct 14, 2012, 10:15 AM
Joined Sep 2012
21 Posts
Mine had its maiden flight a few minutes ago. What a nice flying plane. It just sits in for the landings so well with the flaps. Really nice plane. Eh em.. Don't try rolls with the ailerons on low rates... Good thing I was a few mistakes high.. Other than that it's great. Can't wait to take it out again.
bassfisha is offline Find More Posts by bassfisha
Old Oct 14, 2012, 11:29 AM
United States, PA, Gettysburg
Joined Mar 2011
346 Posts
Can you fly this on 4S 2200's with the stock setup??
jeb6684 is offline Find More Posts by jeb6684