HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Oct 08, 2012, 10:02 AM
Registered User
cracksmeup's Avatar
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jun 2009
3,455 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leather Helmet View Post
Went by my LHS Saturday to get some paint for my floats, they dont even carry foam safe paint there. I dont even want to fly mine with floats till they look more scale....lol
Michals craft stores sells paint for foam or walmart sells it also .The yellow here is from walmart but i used red spray paint from michals.The plane is out of dow foam fanfold. joe
cracksmeup is offline Find More Posts by cracksmeup
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 08, 2012, 10:03 AM
Closed Account
Joined Sep 2011
1,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul-RC View Post
A new video just poped out
He's having a hard time to take-off as if he's giving down elevator on the run.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jsjIzB53sw
It looks like he's giving it up elevator too early (like some do to keep a tail-dragger from nosing over on a grass runway) and it's causing the rear of the floats to submerse.
ClosedAccount is offline Find More Posts by ClosedAccount
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 08, 2012, 10:28 AM
Registered User
Joined Mar 2011
1,482 Posts
Should the floats be coated with some kind of primer before painting, what about a clear coat after painting?
itsme2 is online now Find More Posts by itsme2
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 08, 2012, 10:31 AM
Let me Fly please :^)
Paul-RC's Avatar
Montreal,Canada
Joined Mar 2003
3,673 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsme2 View Post
Should the floats be coated with some kind of primer before painting, what about a clear coat after painting?
You really need to sand the floats before even a primer.
The waxy film on it now makes everything peel off.

So sand , prime and paint
Paul-RC is offline Find More Posts by Paul-RC
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 08, 2012, 11:12 AM
UAV R&D Pilot/MC/PO
Sukhoikid's Avatar
Joined Jun 2006
841 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul-RC View Post
A new video just poped out
He's having a hard time to take-off as if he's giving down elevator on the run.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jsjIzB53sw
I had a few glow planes on floats. (Trainer like planes) And what I was always taught to to is hold full up elevator till it gets on plain. Then let off the elevator and let it go to neutral for a second, then slightly pull up and she should get off the water. That method always work for me. But that was for a heavier glow plane.

I hope to get my seaplane rating in full scale soon. I wonder what their method is.
Sukhoikid is online now Find More Posts by Sukhoikid
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 08, 2012, 11:15 AM
UAV R&D Pilot/MC/PO
Sukhoikid's Avatar
Joined Jun 2006
841 Posts
Thanks for the reviews on the plane. I ordered one today! Are the lights enough to fly at night? I can fly a park zone t28 with one green glow stick and that is it. So it shouldnt take much light for me to fly it. But red light on one side and green on the other will help! lol
Sukhoikid is online now Find More Posts by Sukhoikid
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 08, 2012, 11:19 AM
Let me Fly please :^)
Paul-RC's Avatar
Montreal,Canada
Joined Mar 2003
3,673 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sukhoikid View Post
I had a few glow planes on floats. (Trainer like planes) And what I was always taught to to is hold full up elevator till it gets on plain. Then let off the elevator and let it go to neutral for a second, then slightly pull up and she should get off the water. That method always work for me. But that was for a heavier glow plane.

I hope to get my seaplane rating in full scale soon. I wonder what their method is.
THats what you do and it works very well.
In full scale you start with full up elevator too and gradually release back pressure until the step and just pop up or let it brake off.
Did my rating too years back hoping to fly the Beaver one day but it all ended on a 185 amphib in 2000 when I lost my license to a medical problem.
At least I had a good 20 years of flying and now I still enjoy my models.
Paul-RC is offline Find More Posts by Paul-RC
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 08, 2012, 11:43 AM
Let me Fly please :^)
Paul-RC's Avatar
Montreal,Canada
Joined Mar 2003
3,673 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul-RC View Post
A new video just poped out
He's having a hard time to take-off as if he's giving down elevator on the run.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jsjIzB53sw
At the begining of this video the Beaver taxiing slowly prop windmilling it just beautifull

Cant wait to get mine on the water before it freezes over
Paul-RC is offline Find More Posts by Paul-RC
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 08, 2012, 12:14 PM
Hawk Fanatic
SkylineFlyer's Avatar
United States, KY, Louisville
Joined Jul 2008
7,568 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul-RC View Post
THats what you do and it works very well.
In full scale you start with full up elevator too and gradually release back pressure until the step and just pop up or let it brake off.
Did my rating too years back hoping to fly the Beaver one day but it all ended on a 185 amphib in 2000 when I lost my license to a medical problem.
At least I had a good 20 years of flying and now I still enjoy my models.
Sorry to hear that. Has your health improved?
SkylineFlyer is online now Find More Posts by SkylineFlyer
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 08, 2012, 12:34 PM
Registered User
Drum, Pa
Joined May 2006
229 Posts
Unpacking suggestion:

While trying to get the bubble wrap off the floats, don't use a pair of scissors to cut open a seam. You may cut through the fishing line that's attached to the water rudder.

Don't ask me how I know.
OnTheEdge is offline Find More Posts by OnTheEdge
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 08, 2012, 01:37 PM
Closed Account
Joined Sep 2011
1,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul-RC View Post
THats what you do and it works very well.
In full scale you start with full up elevator too and gradually release back pressure until the step and just pop up or let it brake off.
Did my rating too years back hoping to fly the Beaver one day but it all ended on a 185 amphib in 2000 when I lost my license to a medical problem.
At least I had a good 20 years of flying and now I still enjoy my models.
The president of my club used to fly full scale float planes and he was telling me that another common method is to pull one float off the water first, then the other. He said that breaking the suction is a lot easier that way.
ClosedAccount is offline Find More Posts by ClosedAccount
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 08, 2012, 05:49 PM
Let me Fly please :^)
Paul-RC's Avatar
Montreal,Canada
Joined Mar 2003
3,673 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by {}{steve}{} View Post
The president of my club used to fly full scale float planes and he was telling me that another common method is to pull one float off the water first, then the other. He said that breaking the suction is a lot easier that way.
Yes its thru , done mostly while taking off from glassy water where suction is at the greatest or when the plane is heavy.
Paul-RC is offline Find More Posts by Paul-RC
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 08, 2012, 05:52 PM
Let me Fly please :^)
Paul-RC's Avatar
Montreal,Canada
Joined Mar 2003
3,673 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkylineFlyer View Post
Sorry to hear that. Has your health improved?
Well its not bad but it was a tumor at the right inner ear and I lost it plus I have a facial partial paralisis. I can live with that but can no longer fly even as a passenger in a jetliner do to pressure.
I miss flying terribly
Paul-RC is offline Find More Posts by Paul-RC
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 08, 2012, 06:24 PM
Hawk Fanatic
SkylineFlyer's Avatar
United States, KY, Louisville
Joined Jul 2008
7,568 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul-RC View Post
Well its not bad but it was a tumor at the right inner ear and I lost it plus I have a facial partial paralisis. I can live with that but can no longer fly even as a passenger in a jetliner do to pressure.
I miss flying terribly
I'm sorry to hear that bud. Did I read that correctly that you lost your ear do to the tumor? How did you know you had a tumor?
SkylineFlyer is online now Find More Posts by SkylineFlyer
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 08, 2012, 06:31 PM
Let me Fly please :^)
Paul-RC's Avatar
Montreal,Canada
Joined Mar 2003
3,673 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkylineFlyer View Post
I'm sorry to hear that bud. Did I read that correctly that you lost your ear do to the tumor? How did you know you had a tumor?
I was having headhakes very often then they became migrane but so often that I didn't want to get out of bed .
Went for a series of test and bingo a tumor the size of a big egg pushing my brain upwards
I had to learn to walk talk and eat again.
Life goes on
Paul-RC is offline Find More Posts by Paul-RC
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Dehavilland beaver DHC-2 Mk 3 peterpont Scale Kit/Scratch Built 14 Oct 16, 2009 03:03 AM
Discussion Dehavilland beaver DHC-2 Mk 3 peterpont Scale Fuel Planes 2 Jan 05, 2008 02:26 PM
Discussion Dehavilland beaver DHC-2 Mk 3 peterpont Giant Scale Airplanes 1 Dec 31, 2007 04:39 PM
Discussion Dehavilland beaver DHC-2 Mk 3 peterpont Parkflyers 3 Dec 29, 2007 08:32 PM
Discussion Dehavilland beaver DHC-2 Mk 3 peterpont Giant Electric Planes 1 Dec 29, 2007 07:39 AM