HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 06, 2012, 03:05 PM
United States, TN
Joined Mar 2011
1,354 Posts
The stock flaps servo arm appears to be the same arm used on the other servos in the plane. That arm appears to have been cut off. If we could somehow find out where to get the stock servo arm wouldn't that solve the problem?
itsme2 is online now Find More Posts by itsme2
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 06, 2012, 03:08 PM
Let me Fly please :^)
Montreal,Canada
Joined Mar 2003
3,214 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsme2 View Post
The stock flaps servo arm appears to be the same arm used on the other servos in the plane. That arm appears to have been cut off. If we could somehow find out where to get the stock servo arm wouldn't that solve the problem?
Yes thats for shure.
Maybe just contacting support and ask them if its possible to get the part number for those servo arms.
Paul-RC is offline Find More Posts by Paul-RC
Old Oct 06, 2012, 03:52 PM
Citizen# 145
United States, MA
Joined Sep 2011
1,434 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cracksmeup View Post
Yea i read in their fine print it wont work with my dx-7 either.It looks like Great planes does not need my 200 bucks either . Even if they sold it with out a reciever and lowered the price to reflect it i might have bought one but I think some times the war between greatplanes/tower and horizon hobbys gets in the way of tower and commen sence. OH WELL . joe
The price if the plane is great even if you factor sticking a Spektrum RX in it. Why won't it work with your DX7? I have a DX7s and the only additional part I would need is a power adapter that is a few dollars.
{}{steve}{} is offline Find More Posts by {}{steve}{}
Old Oct 06, 2012, 04:16 PM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jun 2009
3,230 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by {}{steve}{} View Post
The price if the plane is great even if you factor sticking a Spektrum RX in it. Why won't it work with your DX7? I have a DX7s and the only additional part I would need is a power adapter that is a few dollars.
If you read the fine print on the tower page about the free link left hand side it say's will not work with dx-7 . Besides if they want to sell planes how about doing it like other companys have and sell it with out their goofy links and the reciever.I know how to plug servos into a dx reciever and adjust the throws ,i dont want to use their reciever .joe
cracksmeup is offline Find More Posts by cracksmeup
Old Oct 06, 2012, 10:31 PM
Hawk Fanatic
United States, KY, Louisville
Joined Jul 2008
6,311 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul-RC View Post
Going well bit at a time.
Did some work on the cowl, the radial dummy engine the landing gear and change the servo arm for the flaps.
The wheels are from the E-Flite J3 cub , I had a spare set and I painted the hub caps. The wheels are a bit bigger and more balloon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul-RC View Post
Work goes on
I decided to cut the rear left door to install my spectrum receiver and do a clean job on the wires.
I wont install the back seats again.

The receiver is in saranwrap then foam off the floor so unless the plane fills up with water the RX wont get wet at all.

Now nothing in the way of the Battery and ESC

Nice work Paul! Here is where I'm at with mine. Hope everyone likes.
SkylineFlyer is online now Find More Posts by SkylineFlyer
Old Oct 07, 2012, 04:56 AM
Montreal,Canada
Joined Mar 2003
3,214 Posts
Good work SkylineFlyer, its nice to see different color schemes.
I look at your pilot and he looks sad? is he grounded?
Are you still having issues wiith the paint peeling?

Still working details on mine , made the big exaust pipe under the cowl, more panel line and also started on some weathering.
I know most Beavers now are imaculatly clean but I'm a sucker for planes that look like they have been working hard

I still didn't work on my logo and registration and will start on the floats soon.
Last edited by Paul-RC; Oct 07, 2012 at 05:19 AM.
Old Oct 07, 2012, 08:35 AM
Hawk Fanatic
Joined Jul 2008
6,311 Posts
Paul, the paint still wants to peel right off if any masking tape sticks to it. This is even after applying WBPU. The good news is that its still light. I talked to a friend at my LHS today and he said that the cells on EPO are more diffiult to paint than standard EPS. Ain't that the truth. But he said that the only way he has had success is by lightly sanding the EPO, taking lightweight spackle and covering it and then sanding it again. After all that, then paint. I'm not about to try all that with this plane. I'll just stick to scheme I got. I'll be getting a second Beaver here shortly anyways. Why? As much as I like my new paint scheme, I really miss the stock color scheme.

I like how you opened the door on yours. I might do the same, but also add hinges and maybe a servo to open and close it. Hey, maybe even some jumpers for it too.
Old Oct 07, 2012, 11:47 AM
Closed Account
Joined Apr 2008
3,402 Posts
looking good guys, like the scheme Skyline. I got in another 4 flights on mine yesterday. Yeah just from carring the model from the pitts to the flight line (holding the model at the bottom where the black is) I have black paint coming off and showing through to the white foam.
BrentP is offline Find More Posts by BrentP
Old Oct 07, 2012, 12:07 PM
Montreal,Canada
Joined Mar 2003
3,214 Posts
Well my tests on the foam is good.
I sanded half the foam piece and left the other side untouch.
I applied my recipe of Weldbond white glue plus babby powder and a touch of water, mixing it well and painting the foam, let dry.
It becomes very smoth and dull just like a primer and it fills in the inperfections too. I apply 2 coats and its very light.
Now it can be painted directly or prime then painted.
I already sanded one float then will do the other one .
I will apply some lexan adhesive from Team asociated for protection under the floats and then apply my recipe .
I will then decide if I cover with my Speed alluminium tape or just paint them and flat clear coat after my decals are applied.

Decisions decisions
Old Oct 07, 2012, 01:07 PM
United States, TN
Joined Mar 2011
1,354 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentP View Post
looking good guys, like the scheme Skyline. I got in another 4 flights on mine yesterday. Yeah just from carring the model from the pitts to the flight line (holding the model at the bottom where the black is) I have black paint coming off and showing through to the white foam.
Maybe a coat or two of Minwax Polycrylic (clear) or some other sealer would seal the paint?
itsme2 is online now Find More Posts by itsme2
Old Oct 07, 2012, 01:21 PM
Hawk Fanatic
Joined Jul 2008
6,311 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsme2 View Post
Maybe a coat or two of Minwax Polycrylic (clear) or some other sealer would seal the paint?
I've already tried a coat of WBPU. Maybe a second is needed?
Old Oct 07, 2012, 01:30 PM
Hawk Fanatic
Joined Jul 2008
6,311 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentP View Post
Mine was starting to do the same. Then I painted it. It looks better now, I think.
Old Oct 07, 2012, 08:37 PM
Rhinebeck CD-99,00,01,02
New Bern, NC
Joined Mar 2001
2,941 Posts
Anyone have an answer about the speed controller in this model having low voltage cut off or not ????
Tom Smith is online now Find More Posts by Tom Smith
Old Oct 07, 2012, 10:10 PM
UAV R&D Pilot/MC/PO
Joined Jun 2006
732 Posts
Have not read through the entire forum, but as of now is this a model worth getting? I am looking for a new seaplane that is easy to put together and get flying. I live on a 16 acre lake that is in my back yard and love flying the Icon from horizon out there.

This looks like a great airplane from their website.
Sukhoikid is offline Find More Posts by Sukhoikid
Old Oct 07, 2012, 10:15 PM
Montreal,Canada
Joined Mar 2003
3,214 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sukhoikid View Post
Have not read through the entire forum, but as of now is this a model worth getting? I am looking for a new seaplane that is easy to put together and get flying. I live on a 16 acre lake that is in my back yard and love flying the Icon from horizon out there.

This looks like a great airplane from their website.
I havn't flown mine yet but it looks promising

I also have the Icon A5 and have 97 flights on it and still is a blast to fly