SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 15, 2013, 09:46 PM
What's up with that?
United States, CA, Clearlake Oaks
Joined Jul 2011
1,786 Posts
Hey Guys - Stopped by the LHS on the way home today still no news there, but got an e-mail notification that they were back in stock from Tower, so we'll see, maybe next week!

~ Robin

PS - When the Beaver gets here I promise never to use that 'popcorn' emoticon again on this thread!
cubcrafter60 is offline Find More Posts by cubcrafter60
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 15, 2013, 11:21 PM
Joined Feb 2013
20 Posts
Hello everyone,

After reading this thread for a while I thought it would be time to introduce my beaver.

I am still working on it. Modifications are damping on the landing gear, bigger wheels, extended flaps deflection and "flaperons".

I had serious problems to fix the rudder control wire at the servo - also turning the screw as much as possible onto the wire, the wire went free sometimes and unfortunatelly it got free again after a turn which resulted in a spin I couldn't recover - it crashed into the ground vertically with pretty high speed. The right gear broke out of the fuselage, also the right wing with the attachment. The motor shaft was broken, as well as the cowling. So I invested some time to attach the rudder wire directly to the servor lever arm. The next day, everything was repaired and the beaver flew again.

Greetings,

Marcel
Marc3ll is offline Find More Posts by Marc3ll
Old Feb 15, 2013, 11:41 PM
What's up with that?
United States, CA, Clearlake Oaks
Joined Jul 2011
1,786 Posts
Marcel - Welcome to the thread and nice looking model! What method did you use to refinish yours and how's (the finish) holding up? ~ Robin
cubcrafter60 is offline Find More Posts by cubcrafter60
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 15, 2013, 11:45 PM
Whaddya Mean, I Procrastinate?
United States, MA, Webster
Joined Feb 2003
2,530 Posts
Marcel:

Welcome to to the Beaver Brotherhood !

Nice looking Beaver you have there. What exactly did you do to change the rudder linkage ? Did you change the elevator linkage too ?

Russ
MiniBoy is offline Find More Posts by MiniBoy
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 16, 2013, 01:41 AM
Joined Feb 2013
20 Posts
I removed the decals (it was the ST-Models Variant - not much colored parts) and used MPX Primer on the model. After that, taping and spraying the model worked well. First I used some small spray cans from a well known RC manufacturer - but they were empty soon without covering much area. So I bought some larger cans at the local hardware store. Doing several thin layers and the colors hold up pretty well. As long as you don't scrape the runway with your wing tips.

The registration is cutted out of adhesiv film and till now is also holding up well. I orderd some printable film for more details. I don't know if that will do well...

I bent the wire coming from the ruder to go directly through the servor arms wholes. It is quite tricky as the wire has to stay in the fuselage and there is not much room to bend - also not much wire length to work with. I didn't change the elevator linkage itself, just moved it one whole at the end of the servo arm to get more deflection. If I fly with the flaps fully extended (I think about 50-70) and the ailerons also dropped, I do need some power and the elevator full up to get a 3-point touchdown position.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 01:57 AM
Joined Feb 2013
20 Posts
PS: The Cessna from Hype has also been modificated: It has a steel bulkhead with a attachment and nose gear - both also made from steel. The engine subframe is done with aluminium tubes and threaded rods. The nose gear features good damping and solid steering.

The flaps have also been changed to extend much further than default and are driving slowly. Vertex generators, static dischagers, pitot tube and some other details...

Also it is much heavier than default, I get very long flying times. Normaly I can do 10-15 short flights without chaning the battery. So I am no friend of weight tuning.

I have been flying the Cessna for one year and about 50 hours and hundreds of landings - and did have several serious crashes. The wing has been broken and ripped of several times. The fuselage has been brocken two times. And every time the aircraft was back in air the next day.

Sorry for being offtopic, but after all that great experiences I was happy to get another aircraft from ST-Models - the Beaver. May it last at least the same time as the Cessna, but look better afterwards.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 06:18 AM
United Kingdom, Aviemore
Joined Feb 2005
3,244 Posts
Very nice Marcel
Aviefly is offline Find More Posts by Aviefly
Old Feb 16, 2013, 08:29 AM
Whaddya Mean, I Procrastinate?
United States, MA, Webster
Joined Feb 2003
2,530 Posts
Thanks for the information, Marcel.

Russ
MiniBoy is offline Find More Posts by MiniBoy
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 16, 2013, 10:30 AM
Joined Mar 2011
1,493 Posts
Popular Mods To The DHC2?

I have the DHC-2 TX ready version and have replaced the stock receiver with a HK Orange receiver to use with my Spektrum DX8 TX. Now ready to finish the assembly.

Can anyone briefly summarize any mods that seem popular for the DHC-2 build?

Greatly appreciated & Thank You!
itsme2 is online now Find More Posts by itsme2
Last edited by itsme2; Feb 16, 2013 at 01:48 PM.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 10:59 AM
Joined May 2006
176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumpi View Post
Being new to electric planes, I was unaware that this could happen.My MQX wont do it nor my mcpx. If this is normal for this ,its not good.Does anyone know if the spetrum rx is the same way or is this a problem with the anylink. I will most surely switch to the spectrum ,I'm not fond of the wires hanging off the tx anyway.Enliten me Please.
Hello, there:

That's why it's a "best practice" habit to disconnect one of the ESC cables when working on the plane like adjusting surfaces, etc, when the battery is plugged in.

I always flew nitro, and it was a new extra step to learn with electrics, but safety is more important than the extra work.

Good luck,

Doug
aeromechanic1 is offline Find More Posts by aeromechanic1
Old Feb 16, 2013, 11:39 AM
United States, CT, Bristol
Joined Feb 2013
77 Posts
Hey Doug,
BE SURE TO TAKE THE PROP OFF, dont wanna see anybody else get bit. It may be difficult to get to the esc plugs.Not sure.If the prop is off you should be fine. What Tx are you useing.
stumpi is online now Find More Posts by stumpi
Old Feb 16, 2013, 11:52 AM
Rhinebeck CD-99,00,01,02
New Bern, NC
Joined Mar 2001
3,074 Posts
I always remove the prop when working on the radio in any electric model. I have never been cut or hit by a runaway prop on the bench but have seen plenty of guys who have. Even little electrics can take a big bite. I am now in the process of taking the 20 models I have on my DX6 and DX6i and putting them on my new DX8 and it's kind of a pain doing this prop removal, but the consequences of not doing it are much greater.
Safety is no accident.
Tom Smith, Safety Officer, Southern Air RC Club, New Bern NC.
Tom Smith is offline Find More Posts by Tom Smith
Old Feb 16, 2013, 12:14 PM
United States, CT, Bristol
Joined Feb 2013
77 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeromechanic1 View Post
Hello, there:

That's why it's a "best practice" habit to disconnect one of the ESC cables when working on the plane like adjusting surfaces, etc, when the battery is plugged in.

I always flew nitro, and it was a new extra step to learn with electrics, but safety is more important than the extra work.

Good luck,

Doug
Sorry read that wrong ,thought you were asking not telling.
stumpi is online now Find More Posts by stumpi
Old Feb 16, 2013, 01:22 PM
Joined Dec 2008
345 Posts
Well back order is still being processed in the warehouse....hopefully it will ship first of next week.

BTW. On one of the earlier pages I read that someone had to reverse some channels when switching out the stock rx to a Spektrum rx. For those that have done this which channels had to be reversed?

Bob
thinman is offline Find More Posts by thinman
Old Feb 16, 2013, 01:52 PM
Let me Fly please :^)
Montreal,Canada
Joined Mar 2003
3,684 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc3ll View Post
Hello everyone,

After reading this thread for a while I thought it would be time to introduce my beaver.

I am still working on it. Modifications are damping on the landing gear, bigger wheels, extended flaps deflection and "flaperons".

I had serious problems to fix the rudder control wire at the servo - also turning the screw as much as possible onto the wire, the wire went free sometimes and unfortunatelly it got free again after a turn which resulted in a spin I couldn't recover - it crashed into the ground vertically with pretty high speed. The right gear broke out of the fuselage, also the right wing with the attachment. The motor shaft was broken, as well as the cowling. So I invested some time to attach the rudder wire directly to the servor lever arm. The next day, everything was repaired and the beaver flew again.

Greetings,

Marcel
Very very nice Marcel , I love it
Would be nice to see some flying shots or videos too

Paul
Paul-RC is online now Find More Posts by Paul-RC