HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 07, 2013, 10:53 PM
United States, CT, Bristol
Joined Feb 2013
77 Posts
Slight set back in my final steps of the build. Today I was doing a final check on the control surfaces. Some how,and I still cant figure out how,as i set the tx down the tiny anylink plug comes out,the motor goes to full throttle.Slices my pinky and the next two fingers,as I scramble to shut it down.Two hours and 9 stiches later I still cant figre how this happened.
The plane looks like it had a bird strike. Did I miss something. Pics in the am
stumpi is offline Find More Posts by stumpi
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 07, 2013, 11:01 PM
AMA 937634
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Jan 2010
1,645 Posts
Ouch! Sorry to hear about your injury.

-Mike
Stone1295 is offline Find More Posts by Stone1295
Last edited by Stone1295; Feb 07, 2013 at 11:19 PM.
Old Feb 08, 2013, 04:44 AM
Let me Fly please :^)
Montreal,Canada
Joined Mar 2003
3,677 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumpi View Post
Slight set back in my final steps of the build. Today I was doing a final check on the control surfaces. Some how,and I still cant figure out how,as i set the tx down the tiny anylink plug comes out,the motor goes to full throttle.Slices my pinky and the next two fingers,as I scramble to shut it down.Two hours and 9 stiches later I still cant figre how this happened.
Ouch! thats not too good, sorry to hear this.
I guess there is no fail safe using the anylink system.
If there is none then thats a serious issue because its easy for the TX plug to unplug itself .
Paul-RC is offline Find More Posts by Paul-RC
Old Feb 08, 2013, 07:33 AM
Joined Feb 2013
77 Posts
Quote:
I guess there is no fail safe using the anylink system.
If there is none then thats a serious issue because its easy for the TX plug to unplug itself
Being new to electric planes, I was unaware that this could happen.My MQX wont do it nor my mcpx. If this is normal for this ,its not good.Does anyone know if the spetrum rx is the same way or is this a problem with the anylink. I will most surely switch to the spectrum ,I'm not fond of the wires hanging off the tx anyway.Enliten me Please.
Old Feb 08, 2013, 07:43 AM
Sweden, Stockholm County, Vaxholm
Joined Jan 2013
64 Posts
Quote:
Being new to electric planes, I was unaware that this could happen.My MQX wont do it nor my mcpx. If this is normal for this ,its not good.Does anyone know if the spetrum rx is the same way or is this a problem with the anylink. I will most surely switch to the spectrum ,I'm not fond of the wires hanging off the tx anyway.Enliten me Please.
I feel this shows how dangerous electric planes are , when I was doing some checkings the other day I happened to touch the throttle an then panicked so I made it full throttle and the plane flew into a big paper bag on the floor, made some cuts in the paper. Luckily no cat or person was in the way... There should be a separate switch for the electric motor, how could this be made ?

Sorry for your fingers, hope you heal quickly !

/ Hans
Stregax is offline Find More Posts by Stregax
Old Feb 08, 2013, 07:48 AM
Montreal,Canada
Joined Mar 2003
3,677 Posts
Quote:
Well I use a Spectrum DX7 and all Spectrum receivers and if I turn OFF the Radio the Plane is neutral nothing works.
If you can program MIXES you can program a throttle cut with a switch but if there is no fail safe on your system then its not good if the radio goes off or the wire unplugs again.
Old Feb 08, 2013, 08:10 AM
Canada, ON, Carleton Place
Joined Aug 2011
64 Posts
Quote:
Wow...I did something VERY similar with the Beaver as well. I couldn't figure out how the throttle went to full, but your explanation might be MY cause as well. Mine was back in December...I ended up with 4 cuts...worst was to my ring finger. that was cut to the bone. Ended up with about 25 stitches in the various wounds. I have pics...but they are pretty gory LMAO

My wife didn't appreciate the blood on the ceiling in the dining room though
Andy__L is offline Find More Posts by Andy__L
Old Feb 08, 2013, 08:11 AM
Sweden, Stockholm County, Vaxholm
Joined Jan 2013
64 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul-RC View Post
Well I use a Spectrum DX7 and all Spectrum receivers and if I turn OFF the Radio the Plane is neutral nothing works.
If you can program MIXES you can program a throttle cut with a switch but if there is no fail safe on your system then its not good if the radio goes off or the wire unplugs again.
I have the Dx6i, so there is this failsafe if the tx is turned off but there in no way of locking the throttle on the tx. There is always a risk that it will be moved when the tx is on and the lipo connected to the motor
Murphys Law will make this happen at the worst possible time
Stregax is offline Find More Posts by Stregax
Old Feb 08, 2013, 08:17 AM
Montreal,Canada
Joined Mar 2003
3,677 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stregax View Post
I have the Dx6i, so there is this failsafe if the tx is turned off but there in no way of locking the throttle on the tx. There is always a risk that it will be moved when the tx is on and the lipo connected to the motor
Murphys Law will make this happen at the worst possible time
If you cant program a throttle cutto a switch in airplane mode maybe try to use the Heli mode and use the iddle cut off, if I remember a club member had done this but I dont remember if it was the DX6i
Old Feb 08, 2013, 08:17 AM
Canada, ON, Carleton Place
Joined Aug 2011
64 Posts
well i know my attempted amputation (failed thank god) wasn't from hitting the throttle. I have a BIG elastic that wraps from the carry handle around under the transmitter and hooks onto the throttle stick...no way to advance it with that attached
Andy__L is offline Find More Posts by Andy__L
Old Feb 08, 2013, 08:37 AM
Joined Feb 2013
77 Posts
I am sure,absolutly that I did not hit the trottle,its still at zero the way it was when it happened. I am going to remove the prop and do some checking ,but I AM DEFFINATELY SWITCHING TO THE SPETRUM RX. The cut on my pinky is to the bone as well,i could have been much worse. I got the same responce from the other half ,after the return from the Doc.
Old Feb 08, 2013, 10:21 AM
Austin, TX.
Joined Feb 2008
155 Posts
Sorry to be a "tail end Charlie", but am not relishing looking through EVERY post in this discussion. Can the receiver be pulled out, and replaced with something else?

JC

Austin, Tx
J_Cunny is offline Find More Posts by J_Cunny
Old Feb 08, 2013, 10:22 AM
Closed Account
Joined Sep 2011
1,657 Posts
ClosedAccount is offline Find More Posts by ClosedAccount
Last edited by ClosedAccount; Jun 16, 2014 at 12:05 PM.
Old Feb 08, 2013, 10:22 AM
Victoria B.C. Canada
Joined Aug 2007
217 Posts
You have to take the prop off when tinkering with things. Common sense prevails here.
robbthepilot is offline Find More Posts by robbthepilot
Old Feb 08, 2013, 11:09 AM
Austin, TX.
Joined Feb 2008
155 Posts
Thanks guys, was considering getting one, that's why I was asking..

JC
J_Cunny is offline Find More Posts by J_Cunny