HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 03, 2013, 12:02 AM
What's up with that?
United States, CA, Clearlake Oaks
Joined Jul 2011
1,786 Posts
The sky looks perfect with the skis! It seems to emphasize her utilitarian role! You AND your photographer did a remarkable job!

If the vinyl covering process works out and if they have something that looks like polished aluminum It sure would be neat to modify the vertical fin and model the prototype DHC-2! Photos from - http://www.dhc-2.com/ - If you haven't been there yet DO check it out! ~ Robin

PS - I guess the windshield area would require some modification also!
cubcrafter60 is online now Find More Posts by cubcrafter60
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by cubcrafter60; Feb 03, 2013 at 12:09 AM. Reason: Added PS
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 03, 2013, 12:35 AM
What's up with that?
Joined Jul 2011
1,786 Posts
Last two of the prototype (promise) - Then & now! ~ Robin
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 03, 2013, 12:57 AM
United States, WV, St Albans
Joined Jul 2011
1,780 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubcrafter60 View Post
The sky looks perfect with the skis! It seems to emphasize her utilitarian role! You AND your photographer did a remarkable job!

If the vinyl covering process works out and if they have something that looks like polished aluminum It sure would be neat to modify the vertical fin and model the prototype DHC-2! Photos from - http://www.dhc-2.com/ - If you haven't been there yet DO check it out! ~ Robin

PS - I guess the windshield area would require some modification also!
Oracal has a polyester chrome film. I have used it on two planes, an FMS T-28 and a Dynam DC-3, and have been very happy with it. It may be a bit shiny for what you want, but you could tone it down a bit with some Dullcote.

Jim
WVrailfan is online now Find More Posts by WVrailfan
Old Feb 03, 2013, 01:26 AM
AMA 937634
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Jan 2010
1,645 Posts
I've heard that flite metal works pretty well. http://www.flitemetal.com/

I believe that it's adhesive backed and a bit duller in appearance. Not sure of the weight penalty as I've never used it myself.

-Mike
Stone1295 is offline Find More Posts by Stone1295
Old Feb 03, 2013, 04:20 AM
What's up with that?
Joined Jul 2011
1,786 Posts
Jim - Are you using the ORACAL 351 Metallized Polyester Film (they have chrome & matt chrome), also where do you get it? Their nearest didtributor link took me to a place that sells 150' rolls!

Mike - I looked at the flitemetal site, good looking finish! They say though, it's for sheeted or fiberglassed surfaces, I'm going to try to get a hold of a sample and check it out. If it works they have a kit that will do a .40 - .60 sized model with application tools for about $42.00.

Robin
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 03, 2013, 05:12 AM
Let me Fly please :^)
Montreal,Canada
Joined Mar 2003
3,684 Posts
Quote:
Last two of the prototype (promise) - Then & now! ~ Robin
Me beside CF-FHB in Ottawa in 2001
That day I took lots of close-up pictures to build my first Beaver kit from Unionville.
Paul-RC is offline Find More Posts by Paul-RC
Old Feb 03, 2013, 10:43 AM
That's a funny word
NE Ohio
Joined Apr 2003
3,686 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Pin View Post
gulio, sorry to hear your troubles. High wind and poor visibility would give most of us trouble. Before using mixes, you have to go out on a perfect calm day and get it all set up (trimmed). My surfaces are very close to centered by eye. I can fly mine in wind but I don't enjoy it. When its calm, it flies awesome. Get a perfect day before you try anything drastic.
Another 2 flights today with the (rudder to aileron) mix. I'm afraid that it worked , but I am masking the real problem instead of fixing it. I too don't enjoy flying in the wind.

A couple of questions to the beaver flyers:

Do you'all have to "hold the turn in" ?
and Do you have to "unturn" it even on a shallow bank?

I find that my beaver requires a LOT of stick action and I don't think it should be that much work to fly it. It is "hard" to fly. Even harder than all of my higher skill level planes.

Still working on it. Diagnosing it somewhat fun. I learn best this way.
gulio is offline Find More Posts by gulio
Old Feb 03, 2013, 10:48 AM
United States, WV, St Albans
Joined Jul 2011
1,780 Posts
Quote:
Jim - Are you using the ORACAL 351 Metallized Polyester Film (they have chrome & matt chrome), also where do you get it? Their nearest didtributor link took me to a place that sells 150' rolls!

Mike - I looked at the flitemetal site, good looking finish! They say though, it's for sheeted or fiberglassed surfaces, I'm going to try to get a hold of a sample and check it out. If it works they have a kit that will do a .40 - .60 sized model with application tools for about $42.00.

Robin
Robin,
That's the stuff. It is 1 mil thick and super light. You can Google Oracal film and find plenty of vendors. I have been getting mine online at Advantage Sign Supply.

Jim
WVrailfan is online now Find More Posts by WVrailfan
Old Feb 03, 2013, 11:06 AM
What's up with that?
Joined Jul 2011
1,786 Posts
Paul - That's too cool! I did the same for a DH.60 project at 'Yank's Air Museum' in Chino, Ca. sometimes I feel like I'm more of a referenceaholic than a modeler!

I suppose if I used Paul's paint prep technique, it would harden the application surface for either of the film coverings as well as making it easier to fill in the aft side windows! But then I get to thinking about getting the film down over the corrugations, and around the cowl convincingly, and fabricating a polished aluminum speaker grill for the Mr. RC sound module! it's getting easier to talk myself out of this one! I'll have to play with the film samples and see if it's something I'll be able to finish!.

Jim - Sorry, I was typing while you posted - I checked out the Oracal site last night, I just have to find a distributor that sells less than full rolls! When you covered yours what were the most difficult areas to cover? ~ Robin
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by cubcrafter60; Feb 03, 2013 at 11:21 AM. Reason: Added question
Old Feb 03, 2013, 11:33 AM
United States, TX, Frisco
Joined Dec 2012
18 Posts
So does anyone know where or what shaft I could get as replacement. Seems impossible to find. Likewise, what's a cheaper motor alternative? Can't seem to find one with exact specs
Mavs424 is offline Find More Posts by Mavs424
Old Feb 03, 2013, 01:57 PM
"ya can't get hurt in the air"
United States, NY, Cazenovia
Joined Oct 2009
194 Posts
Paul, your photoshop is getting better and better! I didn't know you built Beaver #3! It looks great
King Pin is offline Find More Posts by King Pin
Old Feb 03, 2013, 02:07 PM
Montreal,Canada
Joined Mar 2003
3,684 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Pin View Post
Paul, your photoshop is getting better and better! I didn't know you built Beaver #3! It looks great
I should of worked on myself on that picture, this was 12 years ago
Old Feb 03, 2013, 02:11 PM
Joined Dec 2008
345 Posts
Interested in getting the beaver as soon as TH's gets them in, so I've been reading some of this thread. Noticed that there has been mention of soft screws and some people replacing them with screws from Home Depot or Lowes. What does a M3x16 screw or M2.5x20 machine thread etc. mean, and what's the best way to find replacements? Or is it best to just take the different sizes with me and find a match?

One other thing. With a wing span of almost 60 inches how is everyone transporting it in their vehicle? Has anyone found an easy way to remove the wing, or at least half of it anyway for easier loading?

Bob
thinman is offline Find More Posts by thinman
Old Feb 03, 2013, 02:39 PM
What's up with that?
Joined Jul 2011
1,786 Posts
Bob - I back ordered one through my LHS (who ordered it from Tower) and signed up on tower for an e-mail alert when they get in. Just to be ready!

The screw sizes are metric M3x16 is a 3mm dia. screw x 16mm long.

I'm still waiting on mine so I'll let someone else address the wing removal. ~ Robin
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 03, 2013, 02:45 PM
Montreal,Canada
Joined Mar 2003
3,684 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinman View Post
Interested in getting the beaver as soon as TH's gets them in, so I've been reading some of this thread. Noticed that there has been mention of soft screws and some people replacing them with screws from Home Depot or Lowes. What does a M3x16 screw or M2.5x20 machine thread etc. mean, and what's the best way to find replacements? Or is it best to just take the different sizes with me and find a match?

One other thing. With a wing span of almost 60 inches how is everyone transporting it in their vehicle? Has anyone found an easy way to remove the wing, or at least half of it anyway for easier loading?

Bob
I will adress the wing removal.............its a pain so I dont touch it.
Need to unscrew the struts, revove the top hatch, unplug the wires , remove the flap rods and unclip the wings. no thank you.

For the screws I use the package for the Align T-Rex 500esp they are perfect and really good.

Paul