Old Jan 02, 2013, 09:20 PM
Scale Foam Flyer
United States, AR, Cabot
Joined Oct 2007
2,968 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubcrazy View Post
Here are the basic points of proper use of rudder:

-If the pilot were to use only the rudder to initiate a turn in the air, the airplane would tend to "skid" to the outside of the turn.
-If the pilot were to use only the ailerons to initiate a turn in the air, the airplane would tend to "slip" towards the lower wing.
-If the pilot were to fail to use the elevator to increase the angle of attack throughout the turn, the airplane would also tend to "slip" towards the lower wing.
-However, if the pilot makes appropriate use of the rudder, ailerons and elevator to enter and leave the turn such that sideslip and lateral acceleration are zero the airplane will be in coordinated flight.

I have seen some that think that making a turn with rudder only and keeping the plane flat with the ailerons is "correct". It's not, although can be a fun manuever to practice and execute just to demonstrate precise control. Or some think that you turn with rudder and count-control with ailerons.

-Cub
Edit: Also a point worth noting, is Adverse yaw...which is basically the airplanes tendancy to yaw in the direction of high wing during changes in the roll axis. ie: You roll to the right, but the nose yaws to the left, and if left uncorrected, can result in a slipping turn. It won't be as pronouned as an intentional slip, but it will be uncoordinated at best.

-Cub
Cubcrazy is online now Find More Posts by Cubcrazy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Carbon Z Cub Floats are here!!
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 02, 2013, 09:47 PM
United States, OH, Johnstown
Joined Jul 2012
129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubcrazy View Post
Edit: Also a point worth noting, is Adverse yaw...which is basically the airplanes tendancy to yaw in the direction of high wing during changes in the roll axis. ie: You roll to the right, but the nose yaws to the left, and if left uncorrected, can result in a slipping turn. It won't be as pronouned as an intentional slip, but it will be uncoordinated at best.

-Cub
Greek to me. I must be too new to understand this I believe.
mthiel is offline Find More Posts by mthiel
Last edited by mthiel; Jan 02, 2013 at 10:16 PM.
Old Jan 02, 2013, 11:59 PM
Joined Jan 2013
1 Posts
I would like to run a 11x7 3-blade and was just wondering what size 3-blade Spinner and what Spinner Adapter Kit did you use???
Drtycurt is offline Find More Posts by Drtycurt
Old Jan 03, 2013, 08:08 AM
United Kingdom, Aviemore
Joined Feb 2005
3,244 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mthiel View Post
Greek to me. I must be too new to understand this I believe.
That's why you often see it recommended to set aileron differential, the aileron going down doesn't travel as far as the aileron going up. Basically when doing and aileron turn the upward travelling aileron pushes that wing down in the direction of the turn, any drag that aileron causes doesn't cause any problem as it would make it turn in the right direction. The downward travelling aileron does the opposite, lifting the wing on the outside of the turn and any drag created with this aileron would try to yaw the plane to the outside of the turn. I believe that the downward travelling aileron would create more drag than the upward travelling one making the problem worse.
Aviefly is offline Find More Posts by Aviefly
Old Jan 03, 2013, 08:15 AM
Charleston, SC
Joined Jul 2006
838 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviefly View Post
Interesting idea on the rx placement too. Is it just dangling by the tape in cockpit?
True, it's not anchored, but the point is to be able to extract it so that I can cover it with a balloon to waterproof it.

Even the best of us have bad takeoffs or landings!

Besides, with all the wiring going on, it's not really moving anywhere.
Raehm is offline Find More Posts by Raehm
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: GWS Me-262 Build
Old Jan 03, 2013, 11:10 AM
Joined Apr 2010
59 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul-RC View Post
Done I could not resist and placed an order for 2 Radials , so more work coming my way

Williams Brothers 1/12 Dummy Engine GPW Wasp

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXWAF2&P=6
I was going to mail you mine....now i'll keep it. Just kidding
Can't wait to see yours with the new radial!
flyinmyplane is offline Find More Posts by flyinmyplane
Old Jan 03, 2013, 02:22 PM
Let me Fly please :^)
Montreal,Canada
Joined Mar 2003
3,656 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinmyplane View Post
I was going to mail you mine....now i'll keep it. Just kidding
Can't wait to see yours with the new radial!
Darn I should of kept quiet
Paul-RC is offline Find More Posts by Paul-RC
Old Jan 03, 2013, 02:27 PM
Montreal,Canada
Joined Mar 2003
3,656 Posts
Quote:
I was finally able to maiden the Beaver tonight. It was getting a bit dark so the short video is grainy. I am a rookie and just learning but it flew very well. I had to use the rudder with ailerons to turn. Is that normal for this kind of plane?

Here is one of my first landings.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZQxm8Z-Db0

And then one more landing with a small crash because I did not see the small mound behind me. The approach looked great and then quickly dissolved with the crash into the mound. There was no damage thankfully. I can't wait to get back out again when I have more time. This thing is awesome! Love the lights at this time of night!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3rx2OMWyF4
Thats Great Mark, great flying and dont worry about the landings ,its all part of the game.
Also for the Aileron and rudder, all that has been said is true .
You need rudder more with the float drag , you wont as much with wheels or skis .
On a full scale airplane you feel those forces and use rudder naturaly but on a model you have to really look at it to see the slidding and slipping.
Playing with the differential does help and yes the ailerons should go up more then down.
The design of the ailerons on this Beaver is very well done and are very effective.
Old Jan 03, 2013, 03:18 PM
Joined Jul 2012
129 Posts
Quote:
Thats Great Mark, great flying and dont worry about the landings ,its all part of the game.
Also for the Aileron and rudder, all that has been said is true .
You need rudder more with the float drag , you wont as much with wheels or skis .
On a full scale airplane you feel those forces and use rudder naturaly but on a model you have to really look at it to see the slidding and slipping.
Playing with the differential does help and yes the ailerons should go up more then down.
The design of the ailerons on this Beaver is very well done and are very effective.
Does the stock setup of the ailerons go up more than down by default or is that something that must be tweaked in the radio setup? I would suspect since I am using a Y-Harness for the aileron channel that they move equal amounts up and down. Is that a correct assumption?

This may be a dumb question, but why would we ever want the ailerons to move in opposite directions? If I want to turn right, just have the right aileron move up to push the right wing down, while the left aileron doesn't move at all.
Last edited by mthiel; Jan 03, 2013 at 03:23 PM.
Old Jan 03, 2013, 03:26 PM
Montreal,Canada
Joined Mar 2003
3,656 Posts
Quote:
Does the stock setup of the ailerons go up more than down by default or is that something that must be tweaked in the radio setup? I would suspect since I am using a Y-Harness for the aileron channel that they move equal amounts up and down. Is that a correct assumption?
On this BEaver there is no need to do it because of the scale design of the aileron.
Usually its done on the radio and the aileron need to be separate.
or you can do it manually with the servo arms.
If you dont see the plane yawing during aileron only turns dont worry about it.
Keep using some rudder in your turn and get the hang of it you wont regrete it.
Old Jan 03, 2013, 03:28 PM
Montreal,Canada
Joined Mar 2003
3,656 Posts
Quote:

This may be a dumb question, but why would we ever want the ailerons to move in opposite directions? If I want to turn right, just have the right aileron move up to push the right wing down, while the left aileron doesn't move at all.
On your last question , well it would be less effective and give you more instability in the turns
Old Jan 03, 2013, 03:51 PM
Joined Jul 2012
129 Posts
Quote:
On this BEaver there is no need to do it because of the scale design of the aileron.
Usually its done on the radio and the aileron need to be separate.
or you can do it manually with the servo arms.
If you dont see the plane yawing during aileron only turns dont worry about it.
Keep using some rudder in your turn and get the hang of it you wont regrete it.
Sounds good. It was just surprising the first time I flew it yesterday. I will be trying again tonight to see if I can get things a little smoother and no crashes.
Old Jan 03, 2013, 03:54 PM
Montreal,Canada
Joined Mar 2003
3,656 Posts
Just received my Wig-Wag landing light system to use on my Beaver #2

Wig Wag lights (0 min 7 sec)

Got it here and it will be plugged in directly on the power LiPo

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wig-Wag-Head...E:L:OU:CA:3160
Old Jan 03, 2013, 05:16 PM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Dec 2006
251 Posts
Is there a source for just a windshield for the Beaver? I nosed-over during a landing bounce. There was no damage to the plane other than that the windscreen popped off and (as far as I know) sank. It appears that windscreen can't be bought individually (only with the fuselage kit). Anyone know of a source or simple solution?
Mangus is offline Find More Posts by Mangus
Old Jan 03, 2013, 05:29 PM
United States, WV, St Albans
Joined Jul 2011
1,759 Posts
Got the fuse pretty much finished. Still need to touch up the door handles and hinges, along with using a fine trip sharpie to draw in the door panel lines. I'm going to make decals for the two rearward windows. I've ordered decals from Callie Graphics.

Starting on the wings tonight.

Jim
WVrailfan is offline Find More Posts by WVrailfan