HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 30, 2012, 11:35 AM
Semper Fi
United States, CA, Rancho Cucamonga
Joined Mar 2009
943 Posts
I am so jealous of you guys all flying off snow, but then again it will be 70* with no wind down here today....
greedyg76 is offline Find More Posts by greedyg76
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 30, 2012, 11:39 AM
Let me Fly please :^)
Montreal,Canada
Joined Mar 2003
3,531 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by greedyg76 View Post
I am so jealous of you guys all flying off snow, but then again it will be 70* with no wind down here today....
Rub it in
Find a hockey indoor arena , usually they dump snow outside in the parking lot
Or better yet fly in the hockey arena on the ice with skis
Paul-RC is online now Find More Posts by Paul-RC
Old Dec 30, 2012, 11:49 AM
We got some flyin' to do!
United States, CA, Fort Irwin
Joined Apr 2012
4,639 Posts
Or better yet, just fly !

It's a little breezy up here in Ft. Irwin this morning....no flying

It was raining like cats and dogs yesterday as I drove by the Bass Pro Shop on the way back up the Cajon pass...the snow covered peaks look simply stunning
Justwingit is online now Find More Posts by Justwingit
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 30, 2012, 11:55 AM
Semper Fi
United States, CA, Rancho Cucamonga
Joined Mar 2009
943 Posts
I live about 3 minutes away from Bass Pro. I might go up the canyon and try to get in some snowy mountain FPV today
greedyg76 is offline Find More Posts by greedyg76
Old Dec 30, 2012, 12:08 PM
United Kingdom, Aviemore
Joined Feb 2005
3,244 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpgilbert View Post
Finally got a chance to fly from snow with skis. Had hoped for powder but it was wind-sweep. Mainly touch & gos. Got in four flights and four with my E-flite J-3 25. Temps started at 12 degs and went up to 20. NO wind and that makes all the difference.

Cannot say enough about this plane. It just flies so good!

I usually do a lot of editing on the videos since I am using a non-zoom camera like Paul. I mount my GoPro on my head. No sense in showing a speck in the sky!

We got 8" of nice snow last night but quite windy today.
Joe
Nice video too. I can't tell from the video, how much if any flap did you have on for most of that? Looks nice and smooth at those slow speeds.
Aviefly is offline Find More Posts by Aviefly
Old Dec 30, 2012, 12:13 PM
We got some flyin' to do!
United States, CA, Fort Irwin
Joined Apr 2012
4,639 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by greedyg76 View Post
I live about 3 minutes away from Bass Pro. I might go up the canyon and try to get in some snowy mountain FPV today
Now you're talkin' !

That would be awsome as long as the wind ain't whipping up those slopes...
Justwingit is online now Find More Posts by Justwingit
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 30, 2012, 12:26 PM
Joined Apr 2011
403 Posts
Great video Paul and jpgilbert! Awesome landings both of you.

I'm having trouble keeping the hook-loop tape stuck to the plane in this cold weather. How do you guys keep it stuck?
FTA_FTW is offline Find More Posts by FTA_FTW
Old Dec 30, 2012, 12:29 PM
Montreal,Canada
Joined Mar 2003
3,531 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTA_FTW View Post
Great video Paul and jpgilbert! Awesome landings both of you.

I'm having trouble keeping the hook-loop tape stuck to the plane in this cold weather. How do you guys keep it stuck?
Do you mean to hold the camera or for the Batt ?
Old Dec 30, 2012, 12:39 PM
MaineFlyer
Augusta, Me
Joined Feb 2005
934 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviefly View Post
Nice video too. I can't tell from the video, how much if any flap did you have on for most of that? Looks nice and smooth at those slow speeds.
Actually, I used the flaps very little on those flights. A few times on takeoffs and landings. I would be hard pressed to say which ones. The plane is a great flyer even without them. And I never did change the servo arm on the flap servo so they are pretty much just as received from the factory. I did notice that taking off on the water is better with a bit of flaps.

At the moment, my flap control is on the flap switch and I plan to modify it so it uses a slider on my radio also. The transmitter mitt I have is pretty tight when I use it on the DX-18. Be easier for me then. I have that setup on my Fun Cub. Now that plane has some flaps!!

Joe
jpgilbert is online now Find More Posts by jpgilbert
Old Dec 30, 2012, 01:02 PM
Nova Scotia, Canada
Joined Apr 2006
327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Pin View Post
I use the aurora 9 with the flaps on the left slider. I mixed in down elevator by using Flap Control (page 2) 100% flap to +28% elevator. This is actually down elevator. I also used a longer arm on the servo for more throw, hope this helps.
I did manage to get the flaps working on a 3 position switch "E" In Flap con menu I only get the option for switches A to H, no slider option.
Stikflyer is offline Find More Posts by Stikflyer
Old Dec 30, 2012, 01:07 PM
Joined Apr 2011
403 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul-RC View Post
Do you mean to hold the camera or for the Batt ?
For the camera. It won't stick on the floats or the fuselage. It sticks the first time I apply it, then when I try to remove the camera, it comes off.
FTA_FTW is offline Find More Posts by FTA_FTW
Old Dec 30, 2012, 01:07 PM
Nova Scotia, Canada
Joined Apr 2006
327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul-RC View Post
On mine I injected and then coverded with black silicone caulking , its very strong
Be careful if you decide to put some epoxy in this area. It would be a good idea to tape over the area after adding the epoxy and then place the plane in a upright position or the epoxy will just run out inside the fuse where your RX is located. DAMHIKT
Stikflyer is offline Find More Posts by Stikflyer
Old Dec 30, 2012, 01:11 PM
Montreal,Canada
Joined Mar 2003
3,531 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTA_FTW View Post
For the camera. It won't stick on the floats or the fuselage. It sticks the first time I apply it, then when I try to remove the camera, it comes off.
I guess the sticky side of the velcro is not of a too good quality.
My velcro is very hard to remove, I took one out and had to use heat to do it.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 01:12 PM
Montreal,Canada
Joined Mar 2003
3,531 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stikflyer View Post
Be careful if you decide to put some epoxy in this area. It would be a good idea to tape over the area after adding the epoxy and then place the plane in a upright position or the epoxy will just run out inside the fuse where your RX is located. DAMHIKT
Thats sad, the caulking doesn't run so it was good to apply and its very strong.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 01:36 PM
MaineFlyer
Augusta, Me
Joined Feb 2005
934 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stikflyer View Post
I did manage to get the flaps working on a 3 position switch "E" In Flap con menu I only get the option for switches A to H, no slider option.
My DX-18 is similar but I added a mix so the left slider will activate the flaps. I use a switch to activate/deactivate the mix. Sliders can tend to be easier to have in the wrong position and I want to activate the mix when I want to use it.

So I mix AUX4 (controlled by left slider by default) to FLP and the mix is activated by switch A. Requires you to adjust the mix offset and rate.

Hope this helps and doesn't confuse you.

Joe
jpgilbert is online now Find More Posts by jpgilbert