HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 26, 2012, 08:39 PM
Drum, Pa
Joined May 2006
229 Posts
Paul, what do your skis weigh? I was at my local hobby shop today looking at the Dubros and they seem quite heavy to me. Not that the plane couldn't handle it but I'm a little obsessive when it comes to weight.
OnTheEdge is offline Find More Posts by OnTheEdge
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 26, 2012, 09:08 PM
United States, OH, Johnstown
Joined Jul 2012
124 Posts
What do you guys use to rest the plane on when installing the battery at the flying site? Any pictures? I am looking to make/buy some sort of small stand.
Thanks.
mthiel is offline Find More Posts by mthiel
Old Dec 26, 2012, 09:46 PM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,599 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mthiel View Post
What do you guys use to rest the plane on when installing the battery at the flying site? Any pictures? I am looking to make/buy some sort of small stand.
Thanks.
I just stand mine on its nose and carefully lean it against the car.
Bajora is online now Find More Posts by Bajora
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: E-flite Allusive 2.2M
Old Dec 26, 2012, 10:54 PM
"ya can't get hurt in the air"
United States, NY, Cazenovia
Joined Oct 2009
192 Posts
I flip it over and rest it on my knee....between the windshield and the antennas.
King Pin is offline Find More Posts by King Pin
Old Dec 26, 2012, 10:56 PM
"ya can't get hurt in the air"
United States, NY, Cazenovia
Joined Oct 2009
192 Posts
ps...kneeling on left with right knee up with plane on it. Works great for me.
King Pin is offline Find More Posts by King Pin
Old Dec 27, 2012, 12:18 AM
Let me Fly please :^)
Montreal,Canada
Joined Mar 2003
3,362 Posts
Quote:
Thanks.
I use 2 pieces of soft foam and rest it upside down works well.
Paul-RC is offline Find More Posts by Paul-RC
Old Dec 27, 2012, 12:23 AM
Montreal,Canada
Joined Mar 2003
3,362 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheEdge View Post
Paul, what do your skis weigh? I was at my local hobby shop today looking at the Dubros and they seem quite heavy to me. Not that the plane couldn't handle it but I'm a little obsessive when it comes to weight.
I didn't check the weight but they are heavier then my home made and a bit heavier then my big wheels.
I can tell you that the CG is just perfect with them and I had no trim adustement to do , probably because of the lenght .
Old Dec 27, 2012, 04:22 AM
United Kingdom, Aviemore
Joined Feb 2005
3,244 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug.wagner View Post
Indeed, the angle of the strut fittings needed a little attitude readjustment on mine.
A pair of pliers gripping each end, and a judicious twist, soon taught it the error of its ways!
Yeh that's what I did in the end. I was a little worried that the metal would have work hardened and end up tearing but with a little care it was fine.

It's sitting ready to go now but I don't know when I'll get the chance to get her airborne. I even put on the rigging wires from the floats to the wing strut. Didn't think I'd bother with them but thought I'd give them a go. They are a bit fiddly adjusting the length and tension to get them to match on all sides but look ok ish once done.

I'm glad I put some effort into getting the rx in under the front seats. It leaves the space where the rx is supposed to be free for putting the lipo in. My 2200 fits down there at an angle and with the cover on there is absolutely no room for it to move. I prefer it in this location but still have the option to fit it in the stock location.
Aviefly is offline Find More Posts by Aviefly
Old Dec 27, 2012, 05:48 AM
Montreal,Canada
Joined Mar 2003
3,362 Posts
I hope to be able to fly in the next few days but right now we are being blasted by a snowstorm with very high winds and could leave us with a foot of snow .
So friday so far is looking good but the snow depth will decide if my Beaver on skis or the Icon A5 will be flying
Old Dec 27, 2012, 05:49 AM
Closed Account
Joined Sep 2011
1,657 Posts
ClosedAccount is offline Find More Posts by ClosedAccount
Last edited by ClosedAccount; Jun 16, 2014 at 11:21 AM.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 08:22 AM
Joined Jul 2012
124 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul-RC View Post
I use 2 pieces of soft foam and rest it upside down works well.
When I get back to work, I know we have some large pieces of EPP foam used to pack networking gear. I will grab some and cut it into a mini stand. Thanks for the pic.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 08:26 AM
Montreal,Canada
Joined Mar 2003
3,362 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by {}{steve}{} View Post
The ESC in mine came from the factory already sealed with white silicone. Did yours not come this way?
It does seem to be coated but I didn't take it out to see more in depth
Old Dec 27, 2012, 09:01 AM
United Kingdom, Aviemore
Joined Feb 2005
3,244 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by {}{steve}{} View Post
The ESC in mine came from the factory already sealed with white silicone. Did yours not come this way?
Mine came sealed with some sort of silcone too, as did the little light control unit thingy. I didn't pay much attention to how well done it was but I guess I'll find out if it ever gets wet.

Quote:
When I get back to work, I know we have some large pieces of EPP foam used to pack networking gear. I will grab some and cut it into a mini stand. Thanks for the pic.
I'm gona take my trusty old Robart model stand with me when I fly it, it came in handy when putting it together too. I'm sure a home made epp one will be just as good if not better.
Aviefly is offline Find More Posts by Aviefly
Old Dec 27, 2012, 09:26 AM
Joined Jul 2012
124 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviefly View Post
I'm gona take my trusty old Robart model stand with me when I fly it, it came in handy when putting it together too. I'm sure a home made epp one will be just as good if not better.
Aviefly, that stand looks pretty nice and simple. I am dying to get out and fly this thing. Here's a pic of the stock setup with floats. We have great weather for it right now, but I am going to visit relatives for the next few days so I have to set it aside until next year.
Last edited by mthiel; Dec 27, 2012 at 09:33 AM.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 10:17 AM
We got some flyin' to do!
United States, CA, Fort Irwin
Joined Apr 2012
4,480 Posts
Good looking model; enjoy your family, and fly the wings off the DHC-2 next year

Just imagine the spring thaw and how much fun it'll be to put that thing in the water !
Justwingit is online now Find More Posts by Justwingit
RCG Plus Member