SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 17, 2012, 11:25 AM
Joined May 2010
1,758 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr View Post
No disrespect intended, but let's not go overboard or I will have to ask the mods to start trimming some of these posts for excessive promotion of a product by a vendor.
No disrespect, but this is forum for sailplane guys and I wanted to show Vario features. I guess sailplane people are interested in seeing that.
Esprit Model is online now Find More Posts by Esprit Model
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 17, 2012, 11:28 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,154 Posts
I searched the thread for '10C', and didn't see anyone recommending it, so here goes.

I've been flying my power-planes & helis with the module-based Futaba 10CHP for about 5 years. Before that, my primary rig was an 8UAF, and before that, it was an FP-7FG/E Gold FM - both also module-based. After 29 years of flying power only, I recently decided to get into soaring & I picked up a full-house ship. Why do I like the 10C?

• Although I had never set up a full-house sailplane wing before, I had no trouble getting everything to work correctly.
  • There are enough wing & tail types to cover most (if not all) configurations, and the popular sailplane mixes are already set up for the wing & tail type selected. There is a 3-point butterfly-elevator mix with assignable points & elevator delay, an offset menu with rate and delay settings, elevator mixing in the camber menu, 4 sailplane-specific conditions, and there are enough custom linear and 5-point mixes to do pretty much anything else one may want to do.
  • All switches, knobs, and sliders are freely assignable. There are options for the second aileron channel and the flaps channel. For instance, I'm using ch 5 for the second aileron and ch 6 for flaps on my Radian Pro's 6-channel rx.
  • Along with the three front-panel knobs, there are user-assignable left-hand & right-hand ratcheted sliders with center detents on the back of the case. They are very easy to operate, and it's easy to feel their positions & get good repeatability when using them for proportional flaps and/or proportional camber/reflex.
  • There are three user-programmable flight-timers for each aircraft that can be programmed to any throttle position, switch, or even the power switch. The hold & reset functions are also programmable. For my Radian Pro, I have one timer tied to the power switch, and another tied to the throttle so that I know the total motor-time per flight. I have the power-on timer reset tied to a spring-loaded switch so that I can easily reset it just before the launch. I use the third timer as an hours meter for each aircraft.
  • It's a module-based rig, so I can fly FASST, Spektrum BNF, 72 MHz PCM, 6-meter ham, and most likely whatever they come up with next - all with the same rig.
The downsides are that it's not telemetry-capable like many of the newest rigs are, and that it's limited to 1024-step resolution when running non-Futaba modules such as the Spektrum DM8.

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by turboparker; Oct 18, 2012 at 12:12 AM. Reason: Added info
Old Oct 17, 2012, 11:53 PM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,518 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
I searched the thread for '10C', and didn't see anyone recommending it, so here goes.

I've been flying my power-planes & helis with the module-based Futaba 10CHP for about 5 years. Before that, my primary rig was an 8UAF, and before that, it was an FP-7FG/E Gold FM - both also module-based. After 29 years of flying power only, I recently decided to get into soaring & I picked up a full-house ship. Why do I like the 10C?

• Although I had never set up a full-house sailplane wing before, I had no trouble getting everything to work correctly.
  • There are enough wing & tail types to cover most (if not all) configurations, and the popular sailplane mixes are already set up for the wing & tail type selected. There is a 3-point butterfly-elevator mix with assignable points & elevator delay, an offset menu with rate and delay settings, elevator mixing in the camber menu, 4 sailplane-specific conditions, and there are enough custom linear and 5-point mixes to do pretty much anything else one may want to do.
  • All switches, knobs, and sliders are freely assignable. There are options for the second aileron channel and the flaps channel.
  • Along with the three front-panel knobs, there are user-assignable left-hand & right-hand ratcheted sliders with center detents on the back of the case. They are very easy to operate, and it's easy to feel their positions & get good repeatability when using them for proportional flaps and/or proportional camber/reflex.
  • There are three user-programmable flight-timers for each aircraft that can be programmed to any throttle position, switch, or even the power switch. The hold & reset functions are also programmable. For my Radian Pro, I have one timer tied to the power switch, and another tied to the throttle so that I know the total motor-time per flight. I have the power-on timer reset tied to a spring-loaded switch so that I can easily reset it just before the launch. I use the third timer as an hours meter for each aircraft.
  • It's a module-based rig, so I can fly FASST, Spektrum BNF, 72 MHz PCM, 6-meter ham, and most likely whatever they come up with next - all with the same rig.
The downsides are that it's not telemetry-capable like many of the newest rigs are, and that it's limited to 1024-step resolution when running non-Futaba modules such as the Spektrum DM8.

Joel
If you want telemetry, put a FrSky module in it.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr