HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 15, 2012, 08:36 PM
Fresno, CA
Joined May 2005
1,162 Posts
I need to check on the telemetry thing. I believe it might be part of the 2.4 module. it sure is nice to not guess when the RX pack is getting low
jzanutto is online now Find More Posts by jzanutto
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 15, 2012, 08:39 PM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,518 Posts
The minima line does not support telemetry, even voltage.
pda4you is offline Find More Posts by pda4you
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 16, 2012, 08:24 AM
Joined Jan 2008
4,523 Posts
pda4you:

You're right - no telemetry.

However, for small gliders and DLGs, I use regulators from SoaringUSA, which include a flashing LED to signify voltage, and have a sharp beep when voltage gets low.

Yours, Greg
glidermang is offline Find More Posts by glidermang
Old Oct 16, 2012, 01:37 PM
Making wood fly since 2007
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,533 Posts
If I were in the new radio market I would look really hard at the Hitec Eclipse 7 Pro. Can be purchased new for $179 (@Servo City), 16 model memory, has sailplane programming, telemetry, and uses Hitec's Optima and Miniam RX's. I seems to get over looked in almost every sailplane radio discussion I read. It is designed to use 2S LiPo batteries so no need for mods or voiding the warranty if you elect to use one. It really looks like a very capable radio.

Wayne
Windependence is offline Find More Posts by Windependence
Old Oct 16, 2012, 01:42 PM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,518 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windependence View Post
II seems to get over looked in almost every sailplane radio discussion I read. It is designed to use 2S LiPo batteries so no need for mods or voiding the warranty if you elect to use one. It really looks like a very capable radio.

Wayne
That is essentially because the software is over 10 years old. Actually likely close to 15 years!
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 16, 2012, 03:04 PM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,521 Posts
Quote:
If I were in the new radio market I would look really hard at the Hitec Eclipse 7 Pro. Can be purchased new for $179 (@Servo City), 16 model memory, has sailplane programming, telemetry, and uses Hitec's Optima and Miniam RX's. I seems to get over looked in almost every sailplane radio discussion I read. It is designed to use 2S LiPo batteries so no need for mods or voiding the warranty if you elect to use one. It really looks like a very capable radio.

Wayne

Quote:
Originally Posted by pda4you View Post
That is essentially because the software is over 10 years old. Actually likely close to 15 years!
Just for clarity, he is talking about the Eclipse 7 Pro. this is a new radio. I can't say how the SW has changed but this is not the Eclipse 7 it is the 7 Pro.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXBCKD&P=7
http://www.hitecrcd.com/products/air...pse-7-pro.html

The reason it is overlooked on most glider discussions is that I have yet to see a review of this radio in the context of a full house glider. Have you seen one?

Looking in the manual I see the following:

Glider Functions Map
Glider Setup Example
EPA End point adjust
D/R Dual Rates
EXP Exponential
FLT.C Flight Condition
S.TRM Subtrim
REV Servo Reverse
PMX1-5 Programmable Mixer
ADIF Aileron Differential
VTAL V-Tail
E->F Elevator Flap mixing
A->R Aileron Rudder Coupling
F->A Flap Aileron mixing
F->E Flap Elevator mixing
CROW Crow mixing (airbrakes)
AIL.T Aileron Dual Trim
S.TM1, 2 Speed Flap trim offsets 1, 2 (GLID4)
A->F Aileron Flap mixing (GLID4)
DFL.T Dual Flap Trim knob (GLID4)
MX.SS Mix Switch Select

At least in name, the desired funcitons seem to be there, but how well they are implemented or whether a contest pilot would like the set-up is another question. But it may be find for a sport flyer looking for a low cost sailplane radio. I just don't know.

manual
http://www.hitecrcd.com/files/ECLIPS...O%20MANUAL.pdf

This is a 2.4 GHz system and, among other things, this one has telemetry.

However, looking at the manual, the menu structure still looks like the old Eclipse 7. That was fine 10 years ago but by modern standards it is fairly cryptic.

BASIC FEATURES:
•7-Channel 2.4GHz Telemetric System
•3-Model Type (ACRO/GLID/HELI) Programming
•16-Model Memory
•Highly Sensitive 8 Ball-Bearing Gimbals
•Easy-to-Read Backlit LCD Screen
•Back Mounted Sliders for Easy Access
•Range Check Mode
•Auto-Assignable Control Switch
•Sensor Monitoring and RX Low Battery Warning
•Stick Mode Change
•Digital Trims
•7-Character Model Naming
Three Conditional Mixes per Model Memory•Model Copy
•Sub Trims
•Two Flight Timers
•EPA
5 Programmable Mixes•All Channel Servo Reverse
•Dual Rates on Channel 1, 2 and 4
•Exponential Rates on Channels 1, 2 and 4
•Data Reset to Defaults
•Throttle Cut Switch
•Auto Engine Cut Switch
•Engine Hold
•Trainer

GLIDER Programming

•2 Servo Wing Mode
•Camber Mix
•Aileron Differential
•V-Tail Mix
•Elevator-to-Flap Mix
•Aileron-to-Rudder Mix
•Flap-to-Aileron Coupling
•Flap-to-Elevator Coupling
•Flap-to-Aileron Trim
•4 Servo Wing Mode – Same as Above Plus:
•Crow Mix

Page 50 talks about camber mix.

Looking at it you seem to have to create thermal, reflex and launch settings yourself using user mixes and flight conditions. Looks a little complex in the manual. Not like the typical menu selected set-ups most of us have come to expect.

S.TM1, 2 - Speed Flap Trim offsets (Camber mix) 1, 2 (4WNG
only)

Speed Flap Trim Offsets, together with flight conditions,
are a way to set up gliders with four wing servos(4WNG).
They do not appear in the two wing servo (2WNG) menu.
Speed Flap Trim offsets are used to offset the positions of
the elevator servo (CH2) and the inboard flaps (CH6 and
CH7) by flipping the Flt. Mode switch.

Together with the Flight Condition menus (FLT.C), you
can command any position of the inboard flaps, ailerons,
and elevator by flipping the Flt. Mode switch, and without
using Speed Flap Trims. Speed Flap Trim offset #1 is On
when the Flt. Mode switch is fully back, and is commonly
used for the “speed” mode, where the trailing edge is
reflexed. Speed Flap Trim offset #2 is On when the Flt.
Mode switch is fully forwards, and is commonly used for
setting up offsets needed for good launches

I also don't see an aileron to flap for full span aileron effect on a 4 servo wing. You might be able to do that one on a user mix as there is no aileorn to flap coupling.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Last edited by aeajr; Oct 16, 2012 at 03:22 PM.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 03:22 PM
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,533 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pda4you View Post
I have no way of knowing whether or not this is true, but that hardly seems like a reason to dismiss it. I mean the software for the xp9303 is roughly the same vintage and nobody is dismissing it. There have been lots of clunky software interfaces we have had to learn from multiple vendors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr View Post
The reason it is overlooked on most glider discussions is that I have yet to see a review of this radio in the context of a full house glider... ...At least in name, the desired funcitons seem to be there, but how well they are implemented or whether a contest pilot would like the set-up is another question. But it may be find for a sport flyer looking for a low cost sailplane radio. I just don't know.
I have looked for an in depth review of this radio and have yet to find it. It almost seems to be a catch 22 kind of thing. Nobody reviews it because no one is using it and no one uses it because there are no good reviews. It also seems like beginner pilots don't buy it because it is too much radio and the serious guys skip over it and go right to the higher end systems like the X9505, A9, SD-10.... you know the list. Its in a perverbial black hole.

I would love to see a real contest guy do a thorough review on it.

Wayne
Last edited by Windependence; Oct 16, 2012 at 06:54 PM. Reason: Corrected the SD-10 name
Old Oct 16, 2012, 03:29 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,521 Posts
I did some searches. There were some short threads on Eclipse 7 Pro. Comments were not overly positive and none that I read were using it for full house gliders.

Certainly seems to be a price point play rather than a feature/function/user interface play. Interface looks somewhat dated and clunky but the radio is cheap for the features it seems to have. Like anything else, once you get used to it you can get it to do what you want it to do. But looking at the manual I am not impressed with the interface. Reminds me of my Prism 7X which is the radio that came BEFORE the Eclipse 7 which came before the Eclipse 7 Pro. So that interface is REALLY old.

Based on what I know I would probably go for a Turnigy 9X or SkyFly Th9X with a FrSky module, and ER9X software over the Eclipse 7 Pro.

MAYBE SOMEONE WHO ACTUALLY USES THE 7 PRO FOR FULL HOUSE GLIDERS WILL JOIN THE THREAD AND COMMENT. THAT WOULD BE GREAT!
Last edited by aeajr; Oct 16, 2012 at 05:03 PM. Reason: Expanded the comments
Old Oct 16, 2012, 06:21 PM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,518 Posts
Quote:
I have no way of knowing whether or not this is true, but that hardly seems like a reason to dismiss it. I mean the software for the xp9303 is roughly the same vintage and nobody is dismissing it. There have been lots of clunky software interfaces we have had to learn from multiple vendors.

Wayne
The Hitec has been around a LONG time. Many years. Your right - 10-15 year old software isn't a reason for everyone to dismiss but it is enough for me.

Candidly I am not sure if Hitec did an update on the box when they did AFHSS update - likely SOME but not much.

The Hitec A9 is much more advanced and I just saw a used one go for just over $200.

My issues with the Eclipse is no sliders. A big issue for me (with full house gliders).

But no question it is the least expensive with sailplane programing. I just think the A9 with the wonderful touch screen is worth saving the difference for.

Mike
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 16, 2012, 06:36 PM
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,533 Posts
Just to point out the Eclipse Pro does have sliders, they are on the back where your fingers would rest. (see attachment) I don't think you will find a new A9 for $200 from a dealer with a new warranty. I am not arguing that the A9 isn't a better radio, just that for many pilots out there the Eclipse Pro would probably do everything they could ever want for half the cost of a A9 or X9505 or a SD-10. Sometimes good enough is good enough and that $200 extra might not be in the budget.

Wayne

Edit, It would be nice to get a rep from Hitec to chime in here and inform us what the A9 give us over the Eclipse Pro as far as programming goes.

Ed - it does have Aileron to Flap mixing for 4 servo wings. (see attachment)
Last edited by Windependence; Oct 16, 2012 at 07:18 PM.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 07:10 PM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,518 Posts
I stand corrected. Never seen sliders on the back of a TX.

I said USED price not new. Hitec is awesome and will warranty the radio even if purchased used. That is my experience.

And you can get the A9 new for ~$310. That is not double only about $100 more. WELL worth it - even if just for the touch screen. It ROCK's!

Here is my RCG review of the A9 showing the features:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1179322

Mike
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 16, 2012, 07:39 PM
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,533 Posts
Hi Mike,

Yes you did specify used price in your post, I was not trying to put words in your mouth. I'm just trying to make an apples to apples comparison, new price vs. used is always awkward. Like I stated before, I agree with you that the A9 is an outstanding radio. I recently had an opportunity to actually lay my hands on one and I had a hard time giving it back to the owner. After I wiped the drool from that nice touch screen I handed it back to him.

It is just that to me the Eclipse 7 Pro appears to be a capable 7 channel sailplane radio and deserves mentioning. I have no dog in this hunt as I am still using an older JR XP783 radio (talk about awkward programming) but thats a discussion for a different thread.

Wayne
Old Oct 16, 2012, 07:46 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,521 Posts
OK, the Eclipse Pro is now in the thread. Let's move on.

Who else has some thoughts on Sailplane radios, and why?
Last edited by aeajr; Oct 17, 2012 at 11:05 AM.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 10:44 AM
Joined May 2010
1,758 Posts
Look my Radio Talks, Radio Voice Synthesizer w/VIDEO

We just made video showing new Synthesized Voice Generating capabilities of the 1.06 update for Jeti DC-16. You can hear Time and Telemetry Sensors data being streamlined to the transmitter. This is very cool feature, for first time I do not have to look at the screen. You can assign trigger to any switch, mix, or stick.

Zb/Esprit Model

Jeti Duplex Synthesized Voice "Time & Telemetry" (14 min 22 sec)
Esprit Model is offline Find More Posts by Esprit Model
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 17, 2012, 11:10 AM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,521 Posts
OK, Esprit, this is not a showcase for your radio. It looks very cool, but the topic is intended for pilots to tell us what radios they use and what they like about them. I think you have accomplished that.

You have a very cool product. I suggest you set up a thread about it and post a link to that thread. Anyone who wishes to know more can go there to see what you have.

No disrespect intended, but let's not go overboard or I will have to ask the mods to start trimming some of these posts for excessive promotion of a product by a vendor.