HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 02, 2012, 08:57 PM
United States, FL, Port St Lucie
Joined Jan 2011
153 Posts
Discussion
Anyone in West Palm Beach/Delray Beach area?

Just wondering if there is any non-AMA fields or parks that anyone flies at. Thing is I found an instructor about 6 weeks ago at the AMA field in delray, got my plane and everything needed to fly, joined the AMA, then it turns out our schedules just don't match. I work long hours, have a wife and kids so getting to the field when he is available to buddy box me just hasn't been working out. Now I have had my plane staring me in the face for weeks now and I'm just dying to fly it! I've went to dyer park in west palm a few times on my lunch break and hardly anyone is there, but being up on a hill the wind seems to always be a little heavy during those times of day so I've chickened out to maiden it alone.

A couple other times I have found time on weekends to go to the field in Delray since it is close to me, I have been politely told that beginners shouldn't be trying to learn there on their busy days and be in the way of experienced pilots, which I respect, so now I guess I'm leaning toward just finding an open area and learning by myself when no one is around. I spotted a place practically across the street from where I live called Seacrest Soccer Complex, and it seems that it's empty early in the morning but I don't wanna just go if flying is not allowed there. Anyone know of that place? Seems to be about 4 soccer fields and a football field, I think it's enough room.

Anyone in the area have any suggestions? My plane is a PZ T-28 which was recommended by numerous people including the instructor that was gonna teach me, I've got plenty of tape, glue and an extra prop ready to go, just in case. I also have about a months worth of sim time combined from when I've used it over the last year.
campbellj is offline Find More Posts by campbellj
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 06, 2012, 08:08 PM
West Palm Beach , Fl
Joined Dec 2003
68 Posts
Needing flight instruction

Hi
I am a member of the PBRCA. There is a sign posted on the Clubhouse window with all of the instructors names and phone #. If you come Sun AM there are a few instructors that will help you. A buddy box cord would also help
jetflyr is offline Find More Posts by jetflyr
Old Sep 28, 2012, 11:33 AM
Joined Sep 2012
2 Posts
Campbellj, did you ever find out if you could practice on the seacrest soccer field. I'm new to helis and need some hover practice.
Tyjenn is offline Find More Posts by Tyjenn
Old Sep 30, 2012, 06:44 PM
United States, FL, Port St Lucie
Joined Jan 2011
153 Posts
Thanks jetflyr, I went out there and got some numbers, I am going to try and set something up for early one Sunday

Tyjenn, the last couple times I have driven by there has been some stuff going on in the soccer fields, but about 2 or 3 blocks north of there on the east side of federal hwy there is a small park. It has a large enough open area that would be perfect for your heli as long as you went to the other side to get away from any people that might be there. It's usually empty though. Just for a little hovering practice I would try that place.
campbellj is offline Find More Posts by campbellj
Old Oct 06, 2012, 10:49 PM
Joined Sep 2012
2 Posts
Great, thank you. I'll give it a try.
Tyjenn is offline Find More Posts by Tyjenn