Old Sep 26, 2012, 02:10 AM
Microaces Wingman
UK. Dorset
Joined Jun 2009
375 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy01 View Post
Jon,

An amazing kit as concerns your innovations. I've only encountered one challenge thus far, and that is trying to get the pre-formed control rods attached to the AR6400 linear servos ... it's frustrating trying to follow the Manual since nothing seems to "fit" for me as concerns those rods. The rudder rod has a rounded bend at the AR6400 end, while the elevator rod has straight sections - is that the norm?

Pending your video, would you post some photos of the proper hook up, please?

Gene K
Here we go Gene, hope this helps and yes your right, the rudder has a rounded section and the elevator is straight. There is a definate technique to it, once mastered is easy to acheive. Need to do that video!

With the elevator rod you may need to tweak the angles a bit so you get a nice straight push/pull. I noticed on some of the packs of wireforms that the angles were slightly off but it shouldnt take much.

If your still having a problem post some photos or email me and I can see where the problem lies.

Cheers

Jon
deadbird is offline Find More Posts by deadbird
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 26, 2012, 05:27 AM
Kev Waite
Plymouth UK
Joined Nov 2005
355 Posts
Now I can see where my problem was with the pushrods. The pics in the manual were not very clear in this area and when I installed the sleeve for the pushrods I put it in a little low so both my pushrods go below the plastic catch that hold the Ar6400 board in and this caused me a bit of a headache tweaking the rudder push rod to make everything move ok. But not a real problem that could not be solved and for the next one I now know

Well just looked out side and there is not much wind inbetween the showers and its my day off work. So its off to find somewhere quiet to maiden this "Butcher Bird"

Kev
rcpaintfx is offline Find More Posts by rcpaintfx
Old Sep 26, 2012, 08:30 AM
Microaces Wingman
UK. Dorset
Joined Jun 2009
375 Posts
Thanks for the feedback Kev. We'll put a 'call out' in the updated manual showing that area in more detail. Looking at it again, it's really only clear in the instructions if you already know it's supposed to be like that.

For future models I was thinking we could take a small chunk out of the Depron to physically indicate where the tube needs to be positioned.

Oh, something else that isnt in the manual:

Lightly glue the spinner to the prop with a spot of UHU por on either side of the leading edge close to the centre. This reduced the liklehood of the spinner unbalancing the prop at 'balls-to-the-wall' power. If you only use a spot then the spinner can easily be removed if required by running a blade between it and the prop to release the glue.

Jon
Old Sep 26, 2012, 10:54 AM
Kev Waite
Plymouth UK
Joined Nov 2005
355 Posts
Just back from the maiden flight at an old disused WW2 RAF fighter base just outside of Plymouth, RAF Harrowbeer. I sat in the car waiting for the rain to stop for 1/2 hour then went for the take off from the old perry track, no runways there anymore but you can see on the grass where they used to be. The FW-190 lept of the ground after about 20 - 30 feet, dodging the puddles! I think I need to play around with the down thrust and maybe COG a bit as it was a little pitchy. Other than that it flys well and rolls look very scale. I did not try and land on the tarmac as with the pitch problem, I need to sort out, made approaches a bit hairy, so chose to flair it on to the grass.

It looks superb in the air and I can vouch for this plane is strong as I had a brain fade moment when it started to rain heavy and did not want to get my DX18 wet and it nosed in from about 10 feet. NO damage at all
rcpaintfx is offline Find More Posts by rcpaintfx
Old Sep 26, 2012, 11:30 AM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
2,988 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbird View Post
... hope this helps [pictures of control rods at AR6400 end]
Thanks much, Jon, that certainly did help me get "squared away".

At every step, I'm amazed at the thought you put into this kit (FW-190). Bring on the Spit!

Gene K
speedy01 is offline Find More Posts by speedy01
Old Sep 26, 2012, 04:37 PM
United States, IL, Washington
Joined Nov 2008
1,954 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy01 View Post
Thanks much, Jon, that certainly did help me get "squared away".

At every step, I'm amazed at the thought you put into this kit (FW-190). Bring on the Spit!

Gene K
I think his web-site is just as impressive as his kits.
TODD
I R Irv is offline Find More Posts by I R Irv
Old Sep 26, 2012, 06:39 PM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
2,988 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by I R Irv View Post
I think his web-site is just as impressive as his kits.
As are his videos.....feels like a group hug coming on.

Gene K
speedy01 is offline Find More Posts by speedy01
Last edited by speedy01; Sep 26, 2012 at 07:16 PM. Reason: Grammar
Old Sep 26, 2012, 08:23 PM
Arrowhead
Joined Dec 2010
1,300 Posts
Wonder if you might consider a third scheme for the P-51...
CF105 is offline Find More Posts by CF105
Old Sep 26, 2012, 11:36 PM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,699 Posts
Here are a few photos of the FW190 that i received yesterday. Beautiful job Jon!

Bajora is offline Find More Posts by Bajora
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 27, 2012, 01:14 AM
Joined Sep 2012
417 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CF105 View Post
Wonder if you might consider a third scheme for the P-51...
Tell me more!

I havent done a great deal of research into the RAF Mustangs as the majority of Ace pilots I found seemed to fly the Mustang MkIII (P-51C)

At some time in the future I plan to do the P-51B & C, but if there is a suitable D type then I'm all for it as it's a lot more simple to do.

Jon
MICROACES is offline Find More Posts by MICROACES
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 27, 2012, 01:21 AM
Microaces Wingman
UK. Dorset
Joined Jun 2009
375 Posts
Oops, meant to keep this thread strictly 'deadbird'. Damn those automatic log ins!

Guys, thanks soooo much for the praise ( I felt the love!) and those photos Bajora are absolutely brilliant. Wonderful composition.

Jon

Ha, just noticed you got 3 aileron control rods Jon (First pic). Of all the things you could have a spare one of thats probably the least useful. I'll put an extra starboard one in the next kit so at least you'll have a spare set
Last edited by deadbird; Sep 27, 2012 at 03:21 AM.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 04:16 AM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,601 Posts
So would you settle for a an Aussie P51D?

Nice colour scheme.

There is also the CAC CA 18 Mustang Mk 21 - a P51D Australian licence build.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MICROACES View Post
Tell me more!

I havent done a great deal of research into the RAF Mustangs as the majority of Ace pilots I found seemed to fly the Mustang MkIII (P-51C)

At some time in the future I plan to do the P-51B & C, but if there is a suitable D type then I'm all for it as it's a lot more simple to do.

Jon
jj604 is online now Find More Posts by jj604
Old Sep 27, 2012, 08:01 AM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,699 Posts
The phrase that keeps coming to mind as I dug into my kit last night and as I browse the assembly manual AND cruise the MicroAces web site is that Jon sure did this new product rollout right. It is thus far very impressive from all angles!
Bajora is offline Find More Posts by Bajora
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 27, 2012, 08:23 AM
Microaces Wingman
UK. Dorset
Joined Jun 2009
375 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj604 View Post
So would you settle for a an Aussie P51D?
Hey jj, any ace Aussie pilots fly the Mustang?

Jon
Old Sep 27, 2012, 08:48 AM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,601 Posts
Almost. Most Australian Aces flew the P40 or Spitfires.

Warrant Officer Maxwell Heron Bell Royal Australian Air Force was the top scoring Australian Mustang ace, with 4 confirmed kills and 1 shared. His Distinguished Flying Cross was promulgated in November 1944.

But something else you might not know.

The Commonwealth Aircraft Corporation (CAC) factory at Fishermans Bend, Melbourne was the only non-US production line for the P-51.

John

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbird View Post
Hey jj, any ace Aussie pilots fly the Mustang?

Jon
jj604 is online now Find More Posts by jj604