Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 23, 2012, 11:58 AM
United States, CA, Brentwood
Joined Jun 2012
451 Posts
Man, you really are getting professional. Your web and videos are fantastic. I'm on the hunt for a spectrum now!
Underthetire is offline Find More Posts by Underthetire
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 24, 2012, 04:32 AM
Kev Waite
Plymouth UK
Joined Nov 2005
344 Posts
Just finished the buid on my FW190, all went well and I must say a very different building experience and a most enjoyable very wet and windy Sunday building.

I found the AR6400L needed both servos reversing. Just a little note of my findings. The little sticker tabs that are used for hinges and holding other bits in, there were not enough to finish the model, I think it was short about 4, not a problen as I simply cut a few more from the scrap sticker sheets. Also on the tail wheel bracket the axle part comes out on the opposite side to what the manual shows, again, not a problem sorting it. I found the push rods a bit tricky getting them into the servo arms on the AR6400L and also I found I had to tweak the bends to make the rods move freely. On the aileron torque rods, I found one of them was not bent correctly causing one aileron not to be at neutral when the other one was. I should have checked it before assembly as this has causing me a bit of a headache to tweak after the plane is built, I have nearly got it straight and a bit of final tweaking tonight should have it right.

I am very impressed with the little aileron servo, it is very fast and I can see uses for this on some of my other indoor planes instead of 2 of the linear servos. Do you have any normal servo arms for this servo?

The plane looks amazing sat on my building board and looking forward to the maiden when the weather gets a bit better. It feels heavy compared to my other indoor models of a similar size, but I will save judgement until after the maiden as your videos do show it flying very well.

Kevin
rcpaintfx is offline Find More Posts by rcpaintfx
Old Sep 24, 2012, 05:28 AM
Microaces Wingman
UK. Dorset
Joined Jun 2009
375 Posts
Hi Kevin,

Thanks for all the feedback. That's going to be really useful in refining the kits and manuals.

Re servo, yes I do have the standard 2 sided arm too. The suppliers sent all the servos out with the standard arm by mistake so I have a carton full of them that I swapped out.

I'm sorry to hear that some of the wireforms weren't quite up to standard. I'll definately be checking every wireform pack from now on to make sure the aileron control rods are good as well as having a scan at everything else.

The rudder and elevator control rods are certainly meant to be tweaked with to suit but I think there are improvements we can make there too.

There is definately a technique to getting those control rods on and off the linear servos. I will be posting a video as soon as I can to try and demonstrate it as well as the Rx swap too.

Any chance of a piccie of the finished bird?

Looking at the weather in the south, a maiden flight could be out of the question until next weekend, unless you have a nice big indoor space to fly.

Jon
deadbird is offline Find More Posts by deadbird
Old Sep 24, 2012, 06:12 AM
Microaces Wingman
UK. Dorset
Joined Jun 2009
375 Posts
Website Order System Fixed

Just a quick update to let you know that I have had confirmation that the address compatibility issue (US addresses) with Paypal has now been resolved.

If there's anyone wanting to test it out live and purchase a kit on-line please be my guest!

www.microaces.com

Jon
Old Sep 24, 2012, 09:26 AM
Kev Waite
Plymouth UK
Joined Nov 2005
344 Posts
I will post a pic tonight.

I will have to wait for the weather to clear as our indoor venue on Friday will not be big enough and our large venue is not for another 4 weeks.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 05:24 PM
Dodge City, Kansas
Joined Oct 2003
1,046 Posts
Got mine in Kansas

Maybe I'm the first in the U.S. I received both of my kits today. It only took about a week...(quicker than some packages on the other side of Kansas). I took a quick peak and they look great. I'll watch the videos again before I start because they look like beautiful planes and I don't want to screw them up.
Thanks for the very quick service.
Stan in Dodge City
Swilson50 is offline Find More Posts by Swilson50
Old Sep 24, 2012, 05:38 PM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
2,839 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swilson50 View Post
It only took about a week...(quicker than some packages on the other side of Kansas).
I also got mine - took 19 days to Florida!!!

Gene K
speedy01 is online now Find More Posts by speedy01
Old Sep 25, 2012, 09:42 AM
Microaces Wingman
UK. Dorset
Joined Jun 2009
375 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy01 View Post
I also got mine - took 19 days to Florida!!!
That's not ideal Gene. I'm hoping its a one off and not the norm. It would seem that it was the initial batch I sent off that took the time. I have emailed the USPS to find out why it took so long but so far they have just passed me round the departments.

If the problem persists in frequency then I will put in a complaint to the Royal Mail this end to see if there's anything they can do.

My apologies for the delay.

Jon
Old Sep 25, 2012, 11:30 AM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
2,839 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbird View Post
My apologies for the delay.
All out of your hands, so didn't mean to complain (too loudly), but I was just anxious to get the kit...and it was definitely worth the wait!!

Thanks, Jon.

Gene K
Old Sep 25, 2012, 12:10 PM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
2,839 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj604 View Post
Never tried rubber cement
John,

Since I don't have any scrapbook tape as you suggested, I started on my newly arrived kit using Elmer's Rubber Cement... and so far it looks VERY promising. Thanks to Freddie B for the suggestion here.

If the parts are laminated while the cement is still "wet", they can be slid slightly to refine alignment. If the parts are more set, they can be [carefully] pried apart using a razor blade to start the separation, and then reset. Note that I am talking about using Rubber Cement to laminate parts, and not using it as a general adhesive - UHU Por remains my favorite - get it from Jon.

The rubber cement is much easier to apply than UHU Por, and also much easier to clean up, and much less expensive. Further, when refining edges of the laminations, the rubber cement sands much better than Por, not leaving a rubbery ridge.

What I don't know is how permanent the bond is...hopefully my airplane doesn't come apart in the future -- other than being caused by bad thumbs.

Now that the initial kits are out there, I hope we'll see more threads start, as this one.

Gene K
Old Sep 25, 2012, 02:54 PM
Microaces Wingman
UK. Dorset
Joined Jun 2009
375 Posts
The Spitfire wing!

As many of you know from reading previous threads, the artwork for the stickers is created in Photoshop after a good deal of research is done to try and get things as accurate as possible.

With the Spit Mk1a the research has been done and all of the main aircraft surfaces have been digitally drawn in outline with rivet and panel detail. Next step is the painting. This is all done digitally of course in Photoshop, by adding different layers.

I thought it might be interesting to see how those layers can quickly transform a fairly plain looking line drawing into the finished article.

The first image shows the line drawing, second, the paint applied and third with the roundel and stencils. The last adds weathering, staining and fading.

This artwork will then be cut up into sticker parts for easy application onto the Depron airframe.

This is the first surface I've painted on this aircraft so there are a few more days work to get the whole thing done. I wouldnt like to say when the kit will be ready but at least you can see the progress.

Jon
Old Sep 25, 2012, 03:07 PM
"Free" in Christ!
United States, CA, SF
Joined Jan 2012
850 Posts
Wow that is detailed! Good work!

Free
Free is online now Find More Posts by Free
Old Sep 25, 2012, 04:17 PM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,127 Posts
Jon, this is a great innovative technique you have come up with. A nice marriage of the realistic detail and control available from Photoshop and the flyability and construction ease of foam. Really it is making a 3 view jump off the page and take to the air.

Now when they manage to integrate a high resolution 3D printer and Photoshop.......

John

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbird View Post
As many of you know from reading previous threads, the artwork for the stickers is created in Photoshop after a good deal of research is done to try and get things as accurate as possible.

With the Spit Mk1a the research has been done and all of the main aircraft surfaces have been digitally drawn in outline with rivet and panel detail. Next step is the painting. This is all done digitally of course in Photoshop, by adding different layers.

I thought it might be interesting to see how those layers can quickly transform a fairly plain looking line drawing into the finished article.

The first image shows the line drawing, second, the paint applied and third with the roundel and stencils. The last adds weathering, staining and fading.

This artwork will then be cut up into sticker parts for easy application onto the Depron airframe.

This is the first surface I've painted on this aircraft so there are a few more days work to get the whole thing done. I wouldnt like to say when the kit will be ready but at least you can see the progress.

Jon
jj604 is online now Find More Posts by jj604
Old Sep 25, 2012, 05:10 PM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
2,839 Posts
Jon,

An amazing kit as concerns your innovations. I've only encountered one challenge thus far, and that is trying to get the pre-formed control rods attached to the AR6400 linear servos ... it's frustrating trying to follow the Manual since nothing seems to "fit" for me as concerns those rods. The rudder rod has a rounded bend at the AR6400 end, while the elevator rod has straight sections - is that the norm?

Pending your video, would you post some photos of the proper hook up, please?

Gene K
Last edited by speedy01; Sep 25, 2012 at 08:32 PM. Reason: Reading Steps 33 and 34 of Instructions didn't help.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 05:24 PM
Kev Waite
Plymouth UK
Joined Nov 2005
344 Posts
Sorry Jon for the delay with the pics. I had a problem with my AR6400L and I can get no motor output, brushed or brushless So I dug out my very old AR6400 out of my original Sukhoi 26M and everything is now working and ready for its maiden when the weather will allow.

Here is a pic of my finished FW-190.

Kevin