HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 25, 2013, 03:31 PM
Microaces Wingman
UK. Dorset
Joined Jun 2009
375 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry D View Post
There's a long, detailed, and very positive review of the FW190 in the February issue of Quiet & Electric Flight. That may help to offset some of the damage done by that uninformed and irresponsible FliteTest thing.
Fantastic stuff. I sent John Stennard of Q&EFI fame a couple of kits to take a look at last year. I know he has a busy column so am really grateful he's managed to squeeze us in. He has sent me some great shots of the Fw190 being flown indoors.

I haven't seen the article yet so I'll dive into WH Smiths tomorrow and pick it up. I'm sure the powers that be wouldn't mind a little scanning and posting. Need plenty of ammo!

Oh - here's an idea I worked on today. It's a stand for the kits. I originally wanted to create it for retail display if we are to enter that market but I'm thinking it would be good to also pop in the kit in this Depron with stickers form, or we could get it made from aluminum, ply, clear acrylic etc and sell as an accessory.

Opinions or ideas please!
deadbird is offline Find More Posts by deadbird
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 25, 2013, 03:55 PM
Joined Oct 2008
239 Posts
Yes, please include it! When is the Spit available? Definitely want that!
djhurlbut is offline Find More Posts by djhurlbut
Old Jan 25, 2013, 06:54 PM
Transmogrified.
Southern California
Joined Feb 2006
2,842 Posts
GREAT idea! What a great bit of added value!
DismayingObservation is offline Find More Posts by DismayingObservation
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 25, 2013, 10:04 PM
Joined Jan 2012
89 Posts
Just got my P51 in the post, is that how you say in England?

Great unboxing experience (I'm not an unboxing whore, but my eight year old son was impressed). Got to step 5 before having to break for dinner. Still getting the handle on the stickers and getting them to align right. The videos on youtube are a great help.

Great scale and look. The one thing I did notice was a two blade prop, not a four. Not an issue at all, just with the rigid attention to detail I would have thought a 4 blade prop. Is the performance just not there with a four blade? My AS3X spit is just OK with a four blade prop. I'd rather have performance than scale authenticity on something you can't even see in flight.

Loving it so far. I got a AR6410 becuase the LHS store said the 6400 was not in stock anymore? Is it much of a loss not to get the L? Will the 6410 work too?

THX!

Really excited
MileHighTakeOff is offline Find More Posts by MileHighTakeOff
Old Jan 26, 2013, 01:01 AM
Joined Oct 2008
239 Posts
The 6410 is just the DSMX version of the 6400. I'd bet the 6400 is at the end of it's run. They're the same size and capabilities, other than DSMX.
djhurlbut is offline Find More Posts by djhurlbut
Old Jan 26, 2013, 03:28 AM
Microaces Wingman
UK. Dorset
Joined Jun 2009
375 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MileHighTakeOff View Post
The one thing I did notice was a two blade prop, not a four. Not an issue at all, just with the rigid attention to detail I would have thought a 4 blade prop. Is the performance just not there with a four blade?
MHTO - they are supplied as 4 blade props but we cut two off because it's profile scale!!!

Sorry - couldn't help it.

It's mainly down to the motor. The AP05 seems to be at its best with a 5030 2 bladed prop. Being direct drive, the greater the load the bigger the effect on efficiency than on a geared system like the Spit.

Also, I think we'd have to get one specially made as there don't seem to be any 5" 4 blade units about. GWS do a 3 blade - which we must try out one of these days, but not a 4.

We've tested both the AR6400 and L version. I haven't really noticed too much difference. If you were to run up to me in the field and ask what brick I thought was in the plane I was flying, I'm pretty sure it would be a guess and not an answer based on flying characteristics.

Jon
Last edited by deadbird; Jan 26, 2013 at 03:41 AM.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 03:39 AM
Microaces Wingman
UK. Dorset
Joined Jun 2009
375 Posts
Spitfire release date UPDATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by djhurlbut View Post
Yes, please include it! When is the Spit available? Definitely want that!
Ummmmm

Some of the components that we have made out in China may not be completed this side of the Chinese Spring Festival holiday - which I believe this year takes up most of February. This would mean our delivery date may get kicked into the back end of March now.

We got our orders in early in January to try and avoid the problem, but being a small volume, small value customer we don't get priority treatment just yet. Even my one man charm offensive doesn't seem to have worked this time

Anyway, I'll keep you all updated with any changes as soon as I hear.

Jon
Old Jan 26, 2013, 05:39 AM
Stuck on a rock
Faroe Islands, Sandoy, Sandur
Joined Nov 2000
5,812 Posts
I can sympathise. I have been hit by the Spring festival in the past.
epilot is online now Find More Posts by epilot
Old Jan 26, 2013, 10:01 PM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
6,956 Posts
A silly questions perhaps?
What if one does not posses an AR 'whatever' rx/servo board contraption ?
Are there practical alternates ie; separates? or perhaps even press ganging the the rx servo board from a WL911 heli? (5.3 grams and seemingly far better servos than the Spektrum gizmo) Unlikely the tail gyro or either of the brushed esc bits would be useful tho
Bare is offline Find More Posts by Bare
Old Jan 27, 2013, 12:41 AM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Jan 2008
1,796 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bare View Post
Are there practical alternates ie; separates? or perhaps even press ganging the the rx servo board from a WL911 heli? (5.3 grams and seemingly far better servos than the Spektrum gizmo) Unlikely the tail gyro or either of the brushed esc bits would be useful tho
Well, if you're really into fudging around, you could probably get one of these to fly with airhogs internals There is the "clone" AR6400 mentioned in an above post that only costs $20
seeingeyegod is offline Find More Posts by seeingeyegod
Old Jan 27, 2013, 02:05 AM
Microaces Wingman
UK. Dorset
Joined Jun 2009
375 Posts
Quote:
Hi Bare, as mentioned by seeingeyegod, the clone is a good fit.

The reason we went down the very specific receiver choice was two fold really.

Firstly, being specific about Rx requirement meant we could design a clip system around the board(s) so the Rx can be popped out of one aircraft and installed into another. I've got it down to about 1 min 20 seconds to do a complete switch now. This means that you can own several Microaces kits (or indeed design your own aircraft and use 'spare' Microaces clips in them) but only have to invest in one receiver.

Secondly it meant we could be precise about control rod lengths and pre-form them ready for quick installation PLUS we could also pre-wire all the electronics so the kit is 'Plug 'n' Pray'. This ethos is meant to make it less of a head scratch for those not necessarily experienced in kit building and quick & easy for those who are.

Saying that, if you are experienced then, as previously mentioned, you could probably get many systems to work if you really want to put it under the knife!

Jon
Old Jan 27, 2013, 09:33 AM
Transmogrified.
Southern California
Joined Feb 2006
2,842 Posts
Quote:
I'd go with the clone before I went with a 911 helicopter board. There's no provision for a brushless ESC and the servos are too tall in all likelihood. However, I recently read a thread where folks are using that board in other scratchbuilt micro fixed-wing projects.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 27, 2013, 09:33 AM
Lou
United States, VA, Waynesboro
Joined Dec 2005
5,455 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbird View Post
MHTO - they are supplied as 4 blade props but we cut two off because it's profile scale!!!

Jon
Actually I would not mind having some of these four bladed props for other planes. Any chance you can add them to my next order?
Lou is offline Find More Posts by Lou
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 27, 2013, 01:24 PM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
6,956 Posts
Thank you gentlemen.
I understand the reasons for the AR fitment.
These are fairly common remainders from dead models.
IF one had purchased/owned one of those ARF's.
Not everyone did so however :-).
Consequently I have neither the AR uniboard gizmo, nor the requisite TX (the Larger problem).
Am consequently at a bit of a disadvantage with these pretty planes
Do have V911 helis though .
Clearly, converting the 911 gizmo to fit a wee ESC is the major stumbling block. Larger issue than a too thick board/servo assembly me thinks
Will have to look into that.. first.
Bare is offline Find More Posts by Bare
Old Jan 29, 2013, 09:09 PM
Transmogrified.
Southern California
Joined Feb 2006
2,842 Posts
You could use a Turnigy 9X transmitter with that brick, but there's still the fact it won't support the ESC. Even if you were to do it on the cheap with the Target brick, you'd still need a DX6i at minimum in order to dial in the aileron throw.
RCG Plus Member