HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 23, 2013, 08:00 AM
OY-5542
Denmark, Central Denmark Region, Silkeborg
Joined Nov 2009
738 Posts
Hi emp77!

There's nothing wrong in doing a review where a negative opinion is expressed.
What is faulty, is when the negative opinion is invented out of the blue, by somebody that clearly doesn't understand the fundamental functionning of a concept, a product, who still persist to make up an opinion and publishes it to a widespread audience.
That is mis-information.

For the record, it doesn't seem that David is very knowledged about aerodynamics.
He might be talented in some areas, I don't know, but he certainly lacks of understanding about general aerodynamics and simple piloting skill.
Being able to hold up any kind of multicopter doesn't make anybody a decent pilot. It's uncomparable.

I'm a talented, skilled, trained drummer, with a lot of knowledge about the subject.
It doesn't make me any good reviewer of guitars... even tough I'm a talented musician...

I think one has to hold back and not make up an opinion when not able to.
Chrizz is offline Find More Posts by Chrizz
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Oxy 0.5
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 23, 2013, 12:05 PM
Transmogrified.
Southern California
Joined Feb 2006
2,930 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrizz View Post
Hi emp77!

There's nothing wrong in doing a review where a negative opinion is expressed.
What is faulty, is when the negative opinion is invented out of the blue, by somebody that clearly doesn't understand the fundamental functionning of a concept, a product, who still persist to make up an opinion and publishes it to a widespread audience.
That is mis-information.

For the record, it doesn't seem that David is very knowledged about aerodynamics.
He might be talented in some areas, I don't know, but he certainly lacks of understanding about general aerodynamics and simple piloting skill.
Being able to hold up any kind of multicopter doesn't make anybody a decent pilot. It's uncomparable.

I'm a talented, skilled, trained drummer, with a lot of knowledge about the subject.
It doesn't make me any good reviewer of guitars... even tough I'm a talented musician...

I think one has to hold back and not make up an opinion when not able to.
Exactly right.

I've mentioned that my Focke-Wulf flies out of my hand with little more than by grasping it by the canopy, throttling up and giving it a gentle underhand toss.

I'm in the process of reviewing a flying wing designed, built, marketed and sold right here by a user on this site. I've flown several delta wings including a souped-up FunJET, but this is my first flying wing.

I was instructed to give it a "Frisbee toss" when launching. Now, I used to toss Frisbees all the time. Southern California invention, Southern California maker.

In short, I threw it wrong when attempting to fly the maiden flight yesterday and it cost me a prop. No other damage other than having one of the dowels on the LE which helps to give it a semi-symmetrical airfoil pop off. Went right back on with CA which is how it was attached in the first place. I'll get a new prop today and try again.

The trick is to grasp the LE of the left wing in your right hand out near the winglets and to give it a sidearm toss, not to grasp the LE of the right wing and give it a regular Frisbee toss.

That said, in no way can I blame the wing if I continue to try and launch it wrong. Our friends in the video should have realized that as well.
DismayingObservation is offline Find More Posts by DismayingObservation
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by DismayingObservation; Jan 23, 2013 at 12:12 PM.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 01:33 PM
Lafayette, CA
Joined Aug 2002
2,798 Posts
Yeah it's funny because I am aware that every review is essentially positive with a few minor things usually pointed out. There is always bias because the product is given free or there is advertising or whatever. So the one truly negative review that finally comes along I have an issue with-go figure. But in this case it really seems like it was done for the sake of entertainment more so than a legitimate issue with the plane.

Still I await the spitfire....

Jon
echoplanar is offline Find More Posts by echoplanar
Old Jan 23, 2013, 09:01 PM
Transmogrified.
Southern California
Joined Feb 2006
2,930 Posts
I always make it a point to point out anything really amiss. In the case of the Focke-Wulf, I had one heck of a time with the rudder, so much so that Jon sent me a replacement kit. It's all there in the review.

Check out that review I did of the Dynam Gee Bee. That had a couple of really glaring issues and I called them out on it. Best part was, they appreciated the honesty and will be addressing the issues with the factory.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Call it a "review preview."
Old Jan 24, 2013, 12:30 AM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Jan 2008
1,839 Posts
I'm really temped to buy one of these since my UM Corsair is getting to the end of it's useful life really. Motor is dying and its just beat to hell. The only thing still in perfect shape is the AR6400. To me it seems like a pretty good deal for the deluxe kit about $80 bucks minus this part. Thanks to the pound not being worth 2 bucks anymore
seeingeyegod is offline Find More Posts by seeingeyegod
Old Jan 24, 2013, 09:48 AM
Ambitious, but rubbish
Switzerland, BE, Berne
Joined Feb 2012
33 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeingeyegod View Post
I'm really temped to buy one of these since my UM Corsair is getting to the end of it's useful life really. Motor is dying and its just beat to hell. The only thing still in perfect shape is the AR6400. To me it seems like a pretty good deal for the deluxe kit about $80 bucks minus this part. Thanks to the pound not being worth 2 bucks anymore
Same thing here with my UMX Trojan.
emp77 is offline Find More Posts by emp77
Old Jan 24, 2013, 10:09 AM
AMA 1042906
United States, KS, Derby
Joined Mar 2008
1,158 Posts
I've just read there are AR6400L clones available for around $20.00. Don't know the exact dimensions but wonder if they would fit the MicroAce airframe? If they would I would think those wanting to purchase a kit but are put off due to the price of a name brand brick may rethink purchasing if they can get a brick at a reduced price.
swimmer is online now Find More Posts by swimmer
Old Jan 24, 2013, 10:54 AM
Transmogrified.
Southern California
Joined Feb 2006
2,930 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
I've just read there are AR6400L clones available for around $20.00. Don't know the exact dimensions but wonder if they would fit the MicroAce airframe? If they would I would think those wanting to purchase a kit but are put off due to the price of a name brand brick may rethink purchasing if they can get a brick at a reduced price.
I seem to recall Jon writing the clones will in fact work. I used the real deal in mine and I'm glad I did. I had to make a warranty claim and Horizon Hobby, bless their souls, sent me a new one which continues to work flawlessly.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 24, 2013, 11:48 AM
AMA 1042906
United States, KS, Derby
Joined Mar 2008
1,158 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DismayingObservation View Post
I seem to recall Jon writing the clones will in fact work. I used the real deal in mine and I'm glad I did. I had to make a warranty claim and Horizon Hobby, bless their souls, sent me a new one which continues to work flawlessly.
I've no problem using the real bricks also but as an alternative, and if one is contemplating buying one of these great planes, the less expensive brick may just push them over the edge. I've been promoting MicroAce to our weekly indoor flying event participants and now will be able to tell them there is an alternative to the real brick. By the way, FliteTest's, and I like them, review does not dissuade me in anyway from purchasing a plane from MicroAce.
swimmer is online now Find More Posts by swimmer
Old Jan 24, 2013, 03:04 PM
Microaces Wingman
UK. Dorset
Joined Jun 2009
375 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
Yep, the clone definitely works. I've been testing 5 units from Target Hobbies. Two of them have an ever chattering servo. But so do 4 of my AR6400s so it would seem the manufacturers have cloned them well

They also fit into the clip we've developed but they have the PCB size of the AR6400L (2mm longer) combined with the standard throw servos of the AR6400. This means that the pre-formed wire control rods for the elevator & rudder that come with the kit need a little tweak to increase their length by up to 2mm, but that's pretty easy to do.

My main concern at the moment is if these units breach any patent. We are wanting to offer them with our kits so my next step now I'm happy with their overall performance, is to see if there is any reason we can't.

But in the meantime you can get them from Target!

Jon
deadbird is offline Find More Posts by deadbird
Old Jan 24, 2013, 07:26 PM
Lou
United States, VA, Waynesboro
Joined Dec 2005
5,649 Posts
At the price of the Horizon Hobby bricks, I suspect they should replace a brick that fails.

Still, if John sells the clones with the new bipe, when I order the bipe I will add the clone brick to the order. At roughly $20 a clone, if it fails, I won't cry too much.
Lou is offline Find More Posts by Lou
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 25, 2013, 11:42 AM
Transmogrified.
Southern California
Joined Feb 2006
2,930 Posts
I'm not worried about Jon enclosing a clone with a kit. Generally, there isn't an effort on the part of a cloner to pass off a clone as a counterfeit. However, Target is advertising that brick as a real Spektrum. After reading a description which looks like it's right off of a Horizon Hobby page, there's a mangled English disclaimer down the page claiming their distributor can't tell them whether or not the thing is a real Spektrum or not.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 25, 2013, 12:02 PM
Since 1952
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Oct 2004
1,330 Posts
There's a long, detailed, and very positive review of the FW190 in the February issue of Quiet & Electric Flight. That may help to offset some of the damage done by that uninformed and irresponsible FliteTest thing.
Harry D is offline Find More Posts by Harry D
Old Jan 25, 2013, 01:11 PM
OY-5542
Denmark, Central Denmark Region, Silkeborg
Joined Nov 2009
738 Posts
Hi Harry D!

Thanks for the information, I'm looking forward to read it!
I don't know 'Quiet & Electric Flight'. Is it a printed magazine?
If so, maybe you could scan it and post it here so a majority of people can have acces to the review of Jon's beautiful work? Or post a link to it?

Happy landings :-)
Chrizz is offline Find More Posts by Chrizz
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Oxy 0.5
Old Jan 25, 2013, 01:35 PM
Since 1952
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Oct 2004
1,330 Posts
Chrizz, it's a Brit print magazine. It has a lot of faults but seems to be one of the better ones out there, and I've been a subscriber for a while now.

Web site is http://qefimagazine.com.

I don't think I can scan and post the article, because of copyright issues. Sorry. You could possibly find a copy in a bookstore or your LHS, or order one from Traplet.
Harry D is offline Find More Posts by Harry D