HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 13, 2013, 10:16 AM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,600 Posts
I have not viewed the FT video yet but do find myself wondering if they would have treated a product from Horizon, Hobbico or Hobby King with the same reckless abandon? (I am pretty sure that I already know the answer to that one). Based on my experiences with Jon's product so far, and those of others posted here as well, it performs as advertised if the builder/pilot has the proper skill set and follows Jon's amply detailed directions.

It would be like a person who has really not done much with FPV or Multirotors taking on a TBS Discovery or DJI Phantom and then bashing it all to heck as being a failure when they cannot properly fly it. Maybe that would be "entertaining" to some but to those who are passionate and capable in the genre, it would be caustic.

Lots of post-video hugs and rebuttals, no matter how good natured, do not atone for the potential damage inflicted on Jon's absolutely passionate and thorough efforts to get MicroAces established. Each time that a potential customer positioned atop the proverbial fence happens across the FT "review" video .... Which way do you suppose they will be inclined to fall?

IMO of course.
Bajora is online now Find More Posts by Bajora
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: E-flite Allusive 2.2M
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 13, 2013, 10:24 AM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
2,840 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bajora View Post
IMO of course.
And shared by a lot of us, I'm sure.

Gene K
speedy01 is offline Find More Posts by speedy01
Old Jan 13, 2013, 12:17 PM
OY-5542
Denmark, Central Denmark Region, Silkeborg
Joined Nov 2009
725 Posts
Yep, shared by many.

...and first impressions tend to last... That's the pitty :-(
Chrizz is offline Find More Posts by Chrizz
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Oxy 0.5
Old Jan 14, 2013, 07:59 AM
Microaces Wingman
UK. Dorset
Joined Jun 2009
375 Posts
It certainly seems that the response by flitetest hasn't done anything to help sales. We have had about an 80% drop since the first video was released and it has stirred up a couple of customers to ask for refunds on kits they have already had delivered - which is a pretty bitter pill to swallow.

But it has increased our visibility, good or bad, giving me the opportunity to try and address all the negativity with pure evidence of aircraft that can actually fly more than 10 paces before falling out of the sky.

I shall console myself today in starting the artwork on the Curtiss Hawk!

Jon
deadbird is offline Find More Posts by deadbird
Old Jan 14, 2013, 08:52 AM
Transmogrified.
Southern California
Joined Feb 2006
2,810 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbird View Post
It certainly seems that the response by flitetest hasn't done anything to help sales. We have had about an 80% drop since the first video was released and it has stirred up a couple of customers to ask for refunds on kits they have already had delivered - which is a pretty bitter pill to swallow.

But it has increased our visibility, good or bad, giving me the opportunity to try and address all the negativity with pure evidence of aircraft that can actually fly more than 10 paces before falling out of the sky.

I shall console myself today in starting the artwork on the Curtiss Hawk!

Jon
I have a few really choice words at this point, but I will try and hold my temper and my tongue.

Jon, I honestly thought this would be little more than a minor inconvenience and the producer seemed to make a good faith effort to try and set things right, but there's no excuse for anyone taking bread out of your pocket with the continued posting of the video.

I'll quit now while I'm ahead.
DismayingObservation is offline Find More Posts by DismayingObservation
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 14, 2013, 09:42 AM
OY-5542
Joined Nov 2009
725 Posts
Hi Jon!

I'm very sorry to hear about the drop in sales and those few customers that lack enough of simple logic or/and knowledge to actually ask for a refund...

Though being in an economical cul-de-sac at the moment, I'll work towards scraping up enough money to place an order with you as soon as possible...

I think this is the right time for everybody who could and should be tempted to invest in your beautiful products, to do it.

I find it important to show some solidarity in general and especially towards people that dares to make things happen, while taking some risk to do so! Microaces is deffinitely among such undertakers. Hats off for Jon's courage!
People!!! Place your orders today and contribuate to Jon and Microace's continuing succes!

Manu happy landings to all :-)

PS @ Flitetest: The only right choice you have to make, IMO, is to remove the video. Definitely.
You could then make a new, fairer one, if you still want review Jon's work, but the present review is unfair to everyone, both the reviewed and your viewers. Your video's reach is very large and it is likely to be the first thing to pop up when one makes a search on Microaces. First impressions count.
I wouldn't like to be in your shoes when thinking about the possible consequences the video's impact might have on somebody else's hard work. But that is your conscience, etic and moral. I hope you do understand that your video-response doesn't make anything right about the review itself and certainly doesn't compare impact-wise to it.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Chrizz; Jan 14, 2013 at 09:59 AM.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 09:44 AM
G G Ghost Pirates !!!
USA, NC, Gastonia
Joined Dec 2001
8,823 Posts
Jon sorry to hear that the numbers are that high .. It boils down to irresponsible journalism .. destroying someones life blood for a whimsical joke is just god awful and needs to cease .. reap what you sew Flitetest .. just Irresponsible pure and simple .. i am at a loss for words ..
Vyceroy is offline Find More Posts by Vyceroy
Old Jan 14, 2013, 10:38 AM
United Kingdom, England, Melton Mowbray
Joined Jan 2008
327 Posts
Jon, I'm over the moon with my FW190, it flys well, even though I am by no means an expert, is robust enough to cope with my occasional dumb thumbs and looks so good that it is the first model to make it out of the model room and into the lounge along with the accompanying art work - high honour indeed. I even put up a special shelf for it - just long enough to get the Spitfire sitting on the other end. So stop messing about worrying about people with no appreciation of a good thing and get the Spit released so those of us in waiting can make up your missing 80%!

Chris
chris jones is online now Find More Posts by chris jones
Old Jan 14, 2013, 11:34 AM
Microaces Wingman
UK. Dorset
Joined Jun 2009
375 Posts
Chaps, many thanks for the support. Your generous words are always of great source of encouragement!

I'm sure this will blow over quick enough and I certainly don't hold a grudge with the Flitetest boys. They are learning too and it's just unfortunate we got caught on their curve.

And we have low overheads at the moment so can weather a few storms without sinking.

Ah ha... By Christopher, the Spitfire!

It's now pretty much out of my hands so to speak. All the cut carbon fibre has arrived but we are still a few weeks away from spinners, wireforms and other bits specific to the kit, arriving.

Still anticipating a Feb release just haven't picked a year yet!
deadbird is offline Find More Posts by deadbird
Old Jan 14, 2013, 02:38 PM
Transmogrified.
Southern California
Joined Feb 2006
2,810 Posts
Oh, I dunno...we have a February coming up soon THIS year...just sayin'.
DismayingObservation is offline Find More Posts by DismayingObservation
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 14, 2013, 02:39 PM
Lafayette, CA
Joined Aug 2002
2,697 Posts
Wow-that is bad news. Our great hobby needs more kit makers, especially of innovative designs and planes!

Do the right think Flitetest and pull the video for now. Anyone else??

Jon
echoplanar is offline Find More Posts by echoplanar
Old Jan 23, 2013, 12:42 AM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Jan 2008
1,787 Posts
Yeah flitetest always annoys me. Can't stand either of those guys for some reason. It's like Mr. Pompous meets Mr. can't take anything seriously. The swedish guy was just a negative nancy.
seeingeyegod is offline Find More Posts by seeingeyegod
Old Jan 23, 2013, 04:55 AM
Go Fly Something!!
USA, VA, Charlottesville
Joined Jan 2009
858 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by echoplanar View Post
Wow-that is bad news. Our great hobby needs more kit makers, especially of innovative designs and planes!

Do the right think Flitetest and pull the video for now. Anyone else??

Jon
Maybe a drop off in Flitetest video views might be in order. Honestly I have watched a few and don't anymore. It's not that I don't think they provide a service, just that they niche audience they are targeting is not me. I am not in anyway bashing them I just don't find them informative or entertaining.

Jon you just keep making quality products and you will, without doubt, will rise to the top of the heap! Actually scratch that your already there!!

Don
AMA 384859
dlt2859 is offline Find More Posts by dlt2859
Old Jan 23, 2013, 05:43 AM
Ambitious, but rubbish
Switzerland, BE, Berne
Joined Feb 2012
33 Posts
Whats wrong in doing a review and in finding out, that you don't like a product? Yes David ist manly into quadcopters but as far as I can judge he's pretty talented in everything RC related. He is therefore able to judge a RC Foamie. Therefore I cannot see why he would not have the right to say, that he doesn't like a product. As far as I remember it was only David not liking it, Bixler liked them quite well. The review was about Davids and Bixlers opinion. We already have enough magazines and sponsored youtube videos where they never say anything negative, so I am really happy Flitetste got rid of their sponsorship and can now basically do what they like to.
emp77 is offline Find More Posts by emp77
Old Jan 23, 2013, 06:52 AM
OY-5542
Joined Nov 2009
725 Posts
Hi emp77!

There's nothing wrong in doing a review where a negative opinion is expressed.
What is faulty, is when the negative opinion is invented out of the blue, by somebody that clearly doesn't understand the fundamental functionning of a concept, a product, who still persist to make up an opinion and publishes it to a widespread audience.
That is mis-information.

For the record, it doesn't seem that David is very knowledged about aerodynamics.
He might be talented in some areas, I don't know, but he certainly lacks of understanding about general aerodynamics and simple piloting skill.
Being able to hold up any kind of multicopter doesn't make anybody a decent pilot. It's uncomparable.

I'm a talented, skilled, trained drummer, with a lot of knowledge about the subject.
It doesn't make me any good reviewer of guitars... even tough I'm a talented musician...
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Oxy 0.5