HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 02, 2013, 06:53 PM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,318 Posts
Indeed it is true. Where do you think the name "Bixler" for HobbyKing's biggest selling model came from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlt2859 View Post
Jon,

I am not sure if this is still true (or if it ever was) but I do recall that these two "reviewers" were more or less "sponsored" by HobbyKing at one point. So don't take the review to heart.

Don
AMA 384859
jj604 is offline Find More Posts by jj604
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 02, 2013, 07:03 PM
Transmogrified.
Southern California
Joined Feb 2006
2,842 Posts
Model Aviation did a couple of brief but positive write-ups and yours truly reviewed the Focke-Wulf right here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1744808
DismayingObservation is offline Find More Posts by DismayingObservation
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 02, 2013, 08:00 PM
Lou
United States, VA, Waynesboro
Joined Dec 2005
5,455 Posts
Good heavens, Jon! Don't even worry about these two. I have NEVER given them or their reviews even a gram of creedence. I can only echo what others above me have already mentioned about this so called review.

My FW190 that I purchased from you flys like a charm and I will continue to buy your product line.
Lou is offline Find More Posts by Lou
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 03, 2013, 02:50 AM
Microaces Wingman
UK. Dorset
Joined Jun 2009
375 Posts
Thanks for all the positive support chaps!

I'm not one to shy away from criticism or get upset by things like this. And you can always learn from it too. I certainly wont stop sending kits to them for review either.

One of my longer term goals for Microaces is to attract people who haven't built before into giving it a go and I imagine that many of the FliteTest regular viewers fall into that category.

If Microaces is to achieve that goal I suspect we'll have to have some tamer models in the range with more stable flight characteristics to coax the uninitiated to the dark side!
deadbird is offline Find More Posts by deadbird
Old Jan 03, 2013, 03:11 AM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,318 Posts
Oh no, not another bloody J3 Cub.
Old Jan 03, 2013, 04:05 AM
Microaces Wingman
UK. Dorset
Joined Jun 2009
375 Posts
Aww, how did you guess so quick!
Old Jan 03, 2013, 04:12 AM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,318 Posts
Jon if you want to put out an easy to fly model (good idea in my opinion) let's at least not have yet another Cub/TigerMoth.

Here's 3 less modelled ones with interesting schemes to get you thinking that all fit your criteria of military 30's-40s, single engine and are monoplanes with low wing loading and no nasty narrow tips. There are plenty more. Can't have those expert reviewers tip stalling.

John
Old Jan 03, 2013, 04:24 AM
Microaces Wingman
UK. Dorset
Joined Jun 2009
375 Posts
But the J3 Cub is so pretty in all yellow! I was joking of course.

Those you have shown are much more along the lines of what I was thinking of. Cheers John!
Old Jan 03, 2013, 07:03 AM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
2,888 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbird View Post
Those you have shown are much more along the lines of what I was thinking of.
Oh, oh.......I feel another poll coming....

I'm leaning in the opposite direction to a simple high wing - a challenging two engined classic GA/military airplane like the Beech Baron or Cessna 310.

Gene K
speedy01 is offline Find More Posts by speedy01
Old Jan 03, 2013, 07:05 AM
I direct Josh and Josh
Navarre, OH
Joined May 2010
799 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbird View Post
Thanks for all the positive support chaps!

I'm not one to shy away from criticism or get upset by things like this. And you can always learn from it too. I certainly wont stop sending kits to them for review either.

One of my longer term goals for Microaces is to attract people who haven't built before into giving it a go and I imagine that many of the FliteTest regular viewers fall into that category.

If Microaces is to achieve that goal I suspect we'll have to have some tamer models in the range with more stable flight characteristics to coax the uninitiated to the dark side!
The feedback in this thread is extremely valuable to us. Comments about the show are the most valable input for us to improve what we do.

Jon - I hope you feel that we were successful in sharing our honest opinion while still calling attention to the care and attention you put into your designs. I am very impressed with what you've done from the packaging to the finished product. I hope we didn't come off disrespectful in ANY way.

We are no strangers to harsh reviews and comments. Many people hate us... However, I still value the comments that seem to come from the heart. I hope people can see that I'm trying to let the guys have their opinions on the show.

I am a little surprised by comments that tear down the whole show while admitting they only watched a portion of one episode.

BTW - I love the idea of some tamer models! Please let us know about any new releases.
stonekap is offline Find More Posts by stonekap
Old Jan 03, 2013, 07:46 AM
Microaces Wingman
UK. Dorset
Joined Jun 2009
375 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonekap View Post
The feedback in this thread is extremely valuable to us. Comments about the show are the most valable input for us to improve what we do.

Jon - I hope you feel that we were successful in sharing our honest opinion while still calling attention to the care and attention you put into your designs. I am very impressed with what you've done from the packaging to the finished product. I hope we didn't come off disrespectful in ANY way.

We are no strangers to harsh reviews and comments. Many people hate us... However, I still value the comments that seem to come from the heart. I hope people can see that I'm trying to let the guys have their opinions on the show.

I am a little surprised by comments that tear down the whole show while admitting they only watched a portion of one episode.

BTW - I love the idea of some tamer models! Please let us know about any new releases.
Hi stonekap,

Thanks for chipping in on the thread, now where did I put that virtual baseball bat?

No really, having re watched the video and others having watched too and fed back their opinions it is mainly very positive. I guess having David being really anti just tipped it into the bin for some. I certainly didn't send the kits to you or anyone for that matter with the expectation of a blistering all round review.

We have the Spitfire and an Me109 coming out soon (Feb hopefully). Not that tame but very exciting and then we have the Poll Winners Curtiss P-6E biplane which is currently being designed in full view and with advice from the forum members. This may well be a tamer aircraft - but we'll see. Hopefully the maiden flight of the prototype will happen within the next week or so!
Old Jan 03, 2013, 12:12 PM
Transmogrified.
Southern California
Joined Feb 2006
2,842 Posts
Quote:

Respectfully speaking, I commented after seeing only a portion of the show. The schtick between your hosts is one thing, but combining that with the young man who was clearly unable to fly his sample harmed the review's overall credibility IMO. I don't feel that I would have needed to see the entire presentation to form an opinion, one which is based on years of experience in radio broadcasting as well as some experience in performing arts.

It's clear that you care a great deal about your production and I apologize if I came off as harsh. It's just that I built and reviewed a Focke-Wulf for this very site and I know how it flies.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 03, 2013, 12:33 PM
I direct Josh and Josh
Navarre, OH
Joined May 2010
799 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DismayingObservation View Post
Respectfully speaking, I commented after seeing only a portion of the show. The schtick between your hosts is one thing, but combining that with the young man who was clearly unable to fly his sample harmed the review's overall credibility IMO. I don't feel that I would have needed to see the entire presentation to form an opinion, one which is based on years of experience in radio broadcasting as well as some experience in performing arts.

It's clear that you care a great deal about your production and I apologize if I came off as harsh. It's just that I built and reviewed a Focke-Wulf for this very site and I know how it flies.
I apologize for being defensive on my earlier post. I'm just really proud of my team and have been thoroughly humbled and impressed by their flying skills. Bixler and David both have their own styles of flying and they are very different. That's why we decided to bring David in full time to help diversify the opinions presented by our team.

David may not be the best micro-scale pilot, but his multirotor / FPV skills are top-notch...
"Proximity Sunset" - Beautiful HD FPV - RCExplorer.se (4 min 28 sec)
stonekap is offline Find More Posts by stonekap
Old Jan 03, 2013, 01:37 PM
G G Ghost Pirates !!!
USA, NC, Gastonia
Joined Dec 2001
8,823 Posts
StoneKap having him review multirotor craft would be a good idea but having him review the fixed wing craft was not a good idea .. i watched the whole review and was shaking my head through most .. my wife watched as i did and she could not believe what she was seeing either .. that was the first time i had watched it and will probably will be my last .. dont take this too hard it's coming from a crotchity old fart that is set in his ways .. (You kids get off my lawn!!!)
Vyceroy is offline Find More Posts by Vyceroy
Old Jan 03, 2013, 03:22 PM
Transmogrified.
Southern California
Joined Feb 2006
2,842 Posts
Quote:
I apologize for being defensive on my earlier post. I'm just really proud of my team and have been thoroughly humbled and impressed by their flying skills. Bixler and David both have their own styles of flying and they are very different. That's why we decided to bring David in full time to help diversify the opinions presented by our team.

David may not be the best micro-scale pilot, but his multirotor / FPV skills are top-notch...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPe_OwNh9kY
No problem.

I apologize as well for jumping to conclusions and I'm glad this worked out. I was somewhat defensive as well because of the work I put in building, flying and reviewing my example and because Jon has proven to be one terrific guy.

PS: The FPV video was brilliant! Now I really have to take back what I said!
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by DismayingObservation; Jan 03, 2013 at 03:27 PM.