HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 02, 2013, 09:07 AM
Microaces Wingman
UK. Dorset
Joined Jun 2009
375 Posts
Ouch! Just been hit with BAD Flitetest review

Well that hurts!

It's not every day you get your products reviewed on a popular Youtube channel. And you always hope they'll give an honest and frank review that will benefit your faltering steps as your business starts.

Well it didnt on this occasion. Flighttest's Swedish contingent David has a hate for Microaces aircraft like no other (but he did get his head shaved as a result).

What I cant work out is why the constant reference to tip stall when that's almost the last of my concerns when flying these things. Maybe he didnt use enough expo on the ailerons and kept getting bitten by that???

Here's the vid anyway - your comments would be very much appreciated!

Flite Test - Microaces - REVIEW (15 min 16 sec)
deadbird is offline Find More Posts by deadbird
Last edited by deadbird; Jan 02, 2013 at 09:18 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 02, 2013, 09:43 AM
Transmogrified.
Southern California
Joined Feb 2006
2,851 Posts
Such charming little twentysomethings. This is a POPULAR channel? I got less than halfway through it and that was enough. Once I saw that schtick with the iPad in the shipping box, I knew it was downhill from there.

I have no trouble looping mine, but it needs room. No way would I try it indoors. Nor do I have problems with tip stalls. It dips the nose in turns, but that's nothing airspeed and UP ELEVATOR won't overcome.

Flashy production doesn't make up for lack of talent as entertainers nor does it make up for - yes, I will say it - lack of flying skill. I learned right off the bat the Focke-Wulf was no trainer. I have thus far experienced only two rough landings and both were my fault. How many times did these guys stuff theirs in?
DismayingObservation is offline Find More Posts by DismayingObservation
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by DismayingObservation; Jan 02, 2013 at 09:49 AM.
Old Jan 02, 2013, 09:47 AM
OY-5542
Denmark, Central Denmark Region, Silkeborg
Joined Nov 2009
730 Posts
Hi deadbird!

A bad review is a bad review... but who did the review?
In my point of view the guys from flitetest do not qualify at being skilled or knowledged enough to make any reviews of anything. Heck, of what I've seen, they do not even pilot very well... and their technical awareness just doesn't compare to the high standard you are setting... "Tipstall"... learn to pilot, keep the speed up?!
I haven't flown any of your models yet, but one doesn't need a good sight to see their quality and refinement.

Chris
Chrizz is offline Find More Posts by Chrizz
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Oxy 0.5
Old Jan 02, 2013, 10:01 AM
Transmogrified.
Southern California
Joined Feb 2006
2,851 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrizz View Post
Hi deadbird!

In my point of view the guys from flitetest do not qualify at being skilled or knowledged enough to make any reviews of anything. Heck, of what I've seen, they do not even pilot very well... and their technical awareness just doesn't compare to the high standard you are setting... "Tipstall"... learn to pilot, keep the speed up?!
I haven't flown any of your models yet, but one doesn't need a good sight to see their quality and refinement.

Chris

Amen, brother.

The problem with YouTube is that any dweeb with a camera can be a "star." I'd never heard of this particular channel before now and well, I can see why. The production is good, but these guys are no entertainers. All fluff, no substance.

It's like radio control meets TMZ.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 02, 2013, 11:18 AM
Czech Republic, South Moravian Region, Brno
Joined Mar 2012
7 Posts
Hi Jon,

I know them. Not watching this so much, but what I know they make this vids for noobs who are just entering this hobby. Josh Bixler is experienced and can give balanced reviews and the other one Josh Scott is more on the entertainer side, representing moreless those noobs. He started to fly rc two years ago. But i wonder where they find David (at least he lost his bet) They shoudlnt do that, he even doesnt seem to have skills to give the review, hear the last comments they had in the field. Did you notice all those Josh Bixler comments throughout the end about his attitude? Personally I have not very good impression about his skills and views.

On the other side I have got an opposite experience - these rc planes are very good in all areas -unique, clever design, VERY durable, completing and flying which I found easy. Just it needs some build and flying experience and common sense of course.
Skacee is offline Find More Posts by Skacee
Last edited by Skacee; Jan 09, 2013 at 02:22 AM. Reason: I was judging person not acts, I am sorry David!
Old Jan 02, 2013, 11:54 AM
G G Ghost Pirates !!!
USA, NC, Gastonia
Joined Dec 2001
8,823 Posts
Tip stalling with these planes comes from ham fisted flying .. it's not an rc car that can be whipped about like a wild animal with prey in its mouth .. piloting is about finesse and control neither of which the pilots seemed to possess .. I have designed and built many planes along the same lines and every plane flies differently, its up to the pilot to coax the plane into behaving .. just my 2 cents worth ..
Vyceroy is offline Find More Posts by Vyceroy
Last edited by Vyceroy; Jan 02, 2013 at 12:54 PM. Reason: spelling
Old Jan 02, 2013, 12:37 PM
Transmogrified.
Southern California
Joined Feb 2006
2,851 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vyceroy View Post
Tip stalling with these planes comes from ham fisted flying .. its not an rc car that can be whipped about like a wild animal with prey in its mouth .. piloting is about finesse and control .. neither of which the pilots seemed to possess .. I have designed and built many planes along the same lines .. and every planes flies differently its up to the pilot to coax the plane into behaving .. just my 2 cents worth ..
Bingo.

It didn't take long for me to figure out that setting up this plane takes time and flying it properly does in fact require finesse. I'm still fine tuning it to my taste.

It also likes lots of airspeed in turns, especially when all the stuff is underneath. Just one more thing that experience taught me. I don't have the least problem flying mine.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 02, 2013, 01:01 PM
Fly Low - Hit Hard
Canada, ON
Joined Oct 2010
1,087 Posts
"Originally Posted by Chrizz
I haven't flown any of your models yet, but one doesn't need a good sight to see their quality and refinement."

I agree... there's nothing wrong with the plane, just the pilot. I am pretty surprised by the Flite Test review. They normally have some humour, but that episode was just stupid and was not a review but schtick.

RF
Red Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Red Flyer
Old Jan 02, 2013, 01:59 PM
Microaces Wingman
UK. Dorset
Joined Jun 2009
375 Posts
To counter the Swedish assault I have just got the 'Reviews' page up on the Microaces website.

If anyone else has an image of their craft with or without themselves in the frame plus a few words about the Microaces 'experience' it would be most appreciated and I'll add it to the page.

@ DismayingObservations - still waiting for the bikini shot!

Jon
deadbird is offline Find More Posts by deadbird
Old Jan 02, 2013, 02:24 PM
Micro Flyer
United Kingdom, Marham Airfield
Joined Jun 2005
772 Posts
I did see the Flitetest review first thing this morning.
I have watched a lot of their videos and I was a little shocked at their review. I haven't flown one of your kits so i cant comment on how they fly but i do know a few things. The guys on that channel appear not to be that into the smaller/micro scale models. Anyone who has built and flown micro stuff will know how critical setting up a micro model is in terms of CoG ect ect. it seemed like they were a little out of their comfort zone when flying indoors with such small aircraft. it was kind of proven when they left it a day and flew out doors with alot more success!

just my 2 cents on the review.
I will be looking at getting a kit in the future. just skint
lord chris is offline Find More Posts by lord chris
Old Jan 02, 2013, 02:34 PM
Addicted To Flying Foam
United States, NE, Bennington
Joined Jan 2010
4,453 Posts
I think you have to take Flite Test's review with a grain of salt. David does have some valid concerns with the stickers potentially binding up the control surfaces. Although, it would be easy to remedy by either gluing the stickers down or trimming the stickers so that they aren't in between anymore.

Either way it wouldn't deter me from buying one of the kit 190's. I still think it is a great option for replacing my UM T-28 when its airframe is beyond repair. I can transfer the guts and have a "new plane" again

Kman
kman24 is offline Find More Posts by kman24
Old Jan 02, 2013, 02:53 PM
Transmogrified.
Southern California
Joined Feb 2006
2,851 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbird View Post
To counter the Swedish assault I have just got the 'Reviews' page up on the Microaces website.

If anyone else has an image of their craft with or without themselves in the frame plus a few words about the Microaces 'experience' it would be most appreciated and I'll add it to the page.

@ DismayingObservations - still waiting for the bikini shot!

Jon
Certain things are meant never to be seen with human eyes, Jon.

You're right, though. I do owe you a photo. Should have one for you here in the next day or two.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by DismayingObservation; Jan 02, 2013 at 03:03 PM.
Old Jan 02, 2013, 02:56 PM
Transmogrified.
Southern California
Joined Feb 2006
2,851 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kman24 View Post
I think you have to take Flite Test's review with a grain of salt. David does have some valid concerns with the stickers potentially binding up the control surfaces. Although, it would be easy to remedy by either gluing the stickers down or trimming the stickers so that they aren't in between anymore.

Either way it wouldn't deter me from buying one of the kit 190's. I still think it is a great option for replacing my UM T-28 when its airframe is beyond repair. I can transfer the guts and have a "new plane" again

Kman
I've been having the sticker issue, but they lay right back down and can be made to do so permanently with a bit of whatever glue was used in assembly. I assembled mine with Aleene's foam glue and it worked fine for the stickers. One builder who assembled his with UHU Por contact cement used some thinned slightly with lighter fluid to stick his down.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 02, 2013, 05:54 PM
Go Fly Something!!
USA, VA, Charlottesville
Joined Jan 2009
862 Posts
Jon,

I am not sure if this is still true (or if it ever was) but I do recall that these two "reviewers" were more or less "sponsored" by HobbyKing at one point. So don't take the review to heart.

In this hobby there are "shake out of the box" guy's and guy's who can BUILD. It looks to me that your kits fall into the builders category, and when your in that category you need to understand HOW to build. I am not sure theses guy's are builders....

Now if you would like an honest, picture laden build review from a regular guy who has been in the hobby since the late '70's I would be happy to help you out. And for the record I have never reviewed a single thing in my life.

Don
AMA 384859
dlt2859 is offline Find More Posts by dlt2859
Old Jan 02, 2013, 05:58 PM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
2,921 Posts
David, AKA Negative Nancy, doesn't seem to have many flying skills, as is apparent in how he hand "launches", does indoor takeoffs, and in general, repeatedly crashes. His lamenting, "It's so tiny" sums it all up.

I'm surprised that Josh gave that ham fist so much air time - must have needed comic filler for lack of review material.

Given the overall comical flavor of that review, I think/hope sensible folks will look further for more balanced reviews - like in the latest (Nov 2012 - they're behind) issue of Flying Models which states, on page 6, "In flight the Microaces kits live up to their looks ...."

Gene K
speedy01 is offline Find More Posts by speedy01