HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 03, 2012, 03:14 PM
Carbondale PA
Joined Aug 2005
525 Posts
Jon,

Your website looks beautiful. I am really looking forward to building and flying your new kits.

Good luck on the start of your new business!

Joe.
Joe Malinchak is online now Find More Posts by Joe Malinchak
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Micro Laser 3D
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 04, 2012, 04:31 PM
ICrashRCs
United States, TN, Memphis
Joined Jun 2011
1,196 Posts
Can you give more details on the AP05 version.
I want to run 2s.
Would the HK 5320 1.7 digital servos work with it?

Also,
The AP05 is 3000kv. Listed as 5000 under the P-51.
IFlyRCs is offline Find More Posts by IFlyRCs
Old Sep 04, 2012, 04:56 PM
Microaces Wingman
UK. Dorset
Joined Jun 2009
375 Posts
Hi IFlyRCs,

As far as I'm aware there are two versions of the AP05. One is a hot wind that gives 5000kV ideal for 1s operation and one is 3000kV for 2s operation.

Reason I designed the kits with the 5000kV AP05 was it suited the weight and balance of them better.

The 2S option which, on paper, would seem the right choice just tipped the scales too far with that extra battery weight. There's not a lot of room for maneuver with these profile fuselages!

Thats not to say you couldnt set up with 2S, you'd just need to add weight to the tail. You'd also need to step the volts down between ESC and Rx.

Both versions of the kit include a 1.7g servo for aileron control tht has a specially designed aileron control arm included so no need to source that elsewhere.

The rest of the controls are all based around the Spektrum AR6400 or 6400L Rx. So if you have one of those lying around ready to be stuck into a new plane then you're good to go!

Hope this helps.

Jon
deadbird is offline Find More Posts by deadbird
Old Sep 05, 2012, 01:13 PM
Arrowhead
Joined Dec 2010
1,123 Posts
Very cool looking micros!

With winter approaching (far faster than I'd like), I have to ask... how suitable are these for indoor flying? Our club usually uses a school gym - about the size of a basketball court. I've been on the lookout for a 4ch micro I can fly without ricocheting off the walls...
CF105 is offline Find More Posts by CF105
Old Sep 05, 2012, 05:55 PM
Microaces Wingman
UK. Dorset
Joined Jun 2009
375 Posts
To be honest CF105 I couldnt say for sure. I mainly fly outdoors and all but one of the test flights have been outside too. Outdoors the aircraft can be kept in close proximity and they can fly fairly slow for low wing fighter aircraft, just need a bit of throttle and elevator in the turns to keep level.

I did fly indoors at the beginning of the year. It was only a small venue but the real problem I had was the ceiling wasnt very high. This proved to be more a problem than the walls.

I'm sure we will find out soon enough tho as there have been a good handful or two of orders so far and I'm sure reports and feedback will be forthcoming over the next few weeks!

Sorry I couldnt provide you with a definitive answer but I'm glad you like the look of them.

Jon
Old Sep 05, 2012, 09:07 PM
Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Oct 2008
4,046 Posts
those are some beautiful planes! too bad that Im across the pond...
verticalspark is offline Find More Posts by verticalspark
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Well Traveled Glue
Old Sep 05, 2012, 11:41 PM
Joined Jan 2008
679 Posts
Great to see these come to market. I need to make more cash (am bleeding the stuff everywhere atm). The website is nice to, like the histories (aircraft and pilots etc). Little things like that can keep people coming back for more and attract new people. Well done.
Merkava is offline Find More Posts by Merkava
Old Sep 06, 2012, 01:03 AM
Microaces Wingman
UK. Dorset
Joined Jun 2009
375 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by verticalspark View Post
those are some beautiful planes! too bad that Im across the pond...
Vert, dont let a little drop of water get in the way!

I've actually designed the business around shipping worldwide. Check out the rates: http://microaces.com/checkout.php - bottom left of page.

So it works out under $10 for shipping.

About 80% of the initial orders I've received are heading over the 'pond'.

Jon
Old Sep 06, 2012, 07:22 PM
United States, FL, North Port
Joined Mar 2004
3,118 Posts
Ive flown the e flite um P51, beast, geebee and S-bach all indoors in single basketball court sized area sith 12-15 foot ceilings. These profile warbirds should be no problem indoors!
invertmast is online now Find More Posts by invertmast
Old Sep 08, 2012, 02:22 PM
Microaces Wingman
UK. Dorset
Joined Jun 2009
375 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by invertmast View Post
Ive flown the e flite um P51, beast, geebee and S-bach all indoors in single basketball court sized area sith 12-15 foot ceilings. These profile warbirds should be no problem indoors!
I now have to agree,

I usually fly when there is a bit of a breeze so have the throttle above half to keep things moving. However today I went out in next to no breeze with a newly built Red 13 for its maiden.

At about 1/3 throttle I reckon you could fly it in a biscuit tin so indoors in a basketball court shouldnt be a problem. I set expo quite high tho - 50% on ailerons, 30% on elevator & 30% on rudder. Everything became really smooth.

And if your quick on the sticks an axial roll or two wouldnt be out of the question.

I got 7 minutes flight time from the 300mAh batteries too with wheels & drop tank off. Not too shabby!

Jon
Old Sep 08, 2012, 02:30 PM
Microaces Wingman
UK. Dorset
Joined Jun 2009
375 Posts
Oh, update on shipment. Spinners due to be delivered on Monday now. A slight delay at customs whilst they tried to work out what they were. Probably looked like a half ton of marshmallow to the untrained eye.

I've packed everything else into the kits that are due out the door so they are ready to go once the spinners are in.

I wanted to get them off to you guys on Friday so my apologies for yet another delay but I'm hoping it will be worth the wait.

Jon
Old Sep 10, 2012, 02:48 PM
Microaces Wingman
UK. Dorset
Joined Jun 2009
375 Posts
Shipping tomorrow and Sample Assembly Manual to download

Great news! Spinners actually arrived late this afternoon. All boxes packed now and will be out the door tomorrow. Can't wait for you guys to give 'em a go and get feedback from you all.

I will be all ears and I'm also here to help should anyone have any difficulties or questions about construction and prep for flight. And on that note.....

I've attached a low res PDF of the P51 assembly manual so you can see how they go together. Also shows all the parts included in the kit and all the tools and consumables required to buid it. Not my work but that of an Adobe Illustrator guru, my mate and partner in crime; Simon who basically put it together from some blurry photos I took and scribbled notes.

The language translations on the first two pages are pure Google Translate. Please feel free to point out the glaring errors and any hilarious mistakes!

A printed version is included in the kit too.

Jon
Old Sep 10, 2012, 03:45 PM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
2,848 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbird View Post
I've attached a low res PDF of the P51 assembly manual
First class, as is the rest of your "operation".

What glue do you recommend?

Gene K
speedy01 is online now Find More Posts by speedy01
Old Sep 11, 2012, 01:49 AM
Microaces Wingman
UK. Dorset
Joined Jun 2009
375 Posts
Hi Gene, recommended glue is 'UHU por'.

Is that something that is readily available in the US. I assumed it was, but there may be an equivalent I dont know about????

Jon
Old Sep 11, 2012, 08:52 AM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
2,848 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbird View Post
Is [UHU Por]something that is readily available in the US. I assumed it was, but there may be an equivalent I dont know about????
Yes, it's available in the US (as at RCFoam), but is expensive. A good (but slower) alternative is Bacon's Foam-Tac (also available at RCFoam).

Many years ago, I ordered 20 tubes of UHU Por through eBay from England at a great price (about $3 per tube). Still some good deals on eBay.

There's good info here, including some HobbyKing alternatives (haven't tried those - yet).

Gene K
speedy01 is online now Find More Posts by speedy01