Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 09, 2012, 06:14 PM
Transmogrified.
Southern California
Joined Feb 2006
2,813 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbird View Post
It's quite easy really. If you paint the spinner in the lighter colour first. I have an airbrush but it can equally be done with paintbrush. Several coats if necessary.

let it dry thoroughly. Then roll a peice of Blutack into a tappered, thin sauasage, flatten it and tidy the sides up by butting the edge of a ruler up against them.

Place the blutack strip in a spiral on the painted spinner, starting at the tip and working down. This masks off a spiral so you can now paint the darker colour of the spinner.

Once dry, whip off the blutack mask (carefully so as not to remove the base paint) and hey presto, a spiral spinner.
Son of a gun, I may have to try that. The spiral spinner just sets it off beautifully.

Jon, I just emailed you regarding a question I have regarding the elevator throw. Plenty of down, not much up at all. The servo runs out of travel. Everything's centered on the radio and the elevator is level.

Suggestions, anyone?

PS: I may have figured it out: Full up elevator, disconnect battery, bend pushrod accordingly and then adjust the sub trims and EPAs to level out the elevator.

How'd I do...?
DismayingObservation is offline Find More Posts by DismayingObservation
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by DismayingObservation; Nov 09, 2012 at 06:35 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 09, 2012, 07:08 PM
I fly with my little eye
Lancashire, England
Joined Jul 2005
1,834 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DismayingObservation View Post
......elevator throw. Plenty of down, not much up at all. The servo runs out of travel. Everything's centered on the radio and the elevator is level.

Suggestions, anyone?
My P51 did something similar, The elevator pushrod was observed to be moving vertically when pushed (elevator up) this lost motion reduced effective up elevator control, so I added a little guide to the region aft of the oval section tube. Now when I waggle the stick, I get about the same deflection up and down. Have not flown it yet: Looking forward to Sunday's BMFA indoor meet at Rochdale for the maiden outing.
Swanlander is offline Find More Posts by Swanlander
Old Nov 09, 2012, 07:39 PM
Transmogrified.
Southern California
Joined Feb 2006
2,813 Posts
I don't have a problem with deflection so much as it's running out of travel at the servo. Everything's installed properly and works smoothly, but it runs up against the stop.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 10, 2012, 02:18 AM
Microaces Wingman
UK. Dorset
Joined Jun 2009
375 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DismayingObservation View Post
I don't have a problem with deflection so much as it's running out of travel at the servo. Everything's installed properly and works smoothly, but it runs up against the stop.
Check all the stickers on the 45 degree leading edge of the elevator are stuck down well. If not they can restrict the upward movement. Also check for binding of the elevator on the fuselage on the upward sweep and if necessary shave a bit of depron and sticker away from appropriate edges to ensure free and full movement.

Hope this helps

Jon
deadbird is offline Find More Posts by deadbird
Old Nov 10, 2012, 02:22 AM
Microaces Wingman
UK. Dorset
Joined Jun 2009
375 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanlander View Post
Have not flown it yet: Looking forward to Sunday's BMFA indoor meet at Rochdale for the maiden outing.
Very nice build Swanlander. It looks perfect. Good luck with the maiden!

Jon
deadbird is offline Find More Posts by deadbird
Old Nov 10, 2012, 02:58 AM
Transmogrified.
Southern California
Joined Feb 2006
2,813 Posts
Quote:
Check all the stickers on the 45 degree leading edge of the elevator are stuck down well. If not they can restrict the upward movement. Also check for binding of the elevator on the fuselage on the upward sweep and if necessary shave a bit of depron and sticker away from appropriate edges to ensure free and full movement.

Hope this helps

Jon
It just might and thanks for the email, Jon. Glad I woke up and took a look at the email status on my phone.

I'll keep you posted as always. Stay tuned for further info!
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 10, 2012, 06:59 AM
Make the best of all you have
Essen/Germany
Joined Dec 2006
569 Posts
Some tips ...

To get a good bondage of the foil at the edges I use thinned UHU POR and a little brush to brush it on the edges.

Let it dry a few minutes and then press it on - so you get nice and clean edges.

If you are unconfident how to put the stickers on, try this option :

Take a pot (big enough to put your stickers in) and give 300ml Water and 3-4 drops of dish soap into it.

Make a test with a piece of depron and a piece of the adhesive foil - if it is still too sticky, use 2 more drops of washing up liquid but don't use too much !

Wet your piece of depron with it and dip the decal into the pot completely.

Now you can position and reposition your sticker without any fear to destroy it.

After your sticker is where you want it to, press it down on to the depron in order to press out the water.

Take a hairdryer (not too hot !!) and dry the water for a minute - voila perfect match!

Pressing down again all stickers after a few hours with the help of the heat of a hairdryer will finish your work.

The torsion wire glued to the aileron will make an unpleasant "bubble" into your sticker (same as the gear wire...) to avoid this I make a "slot"

into the depron with a little (not too deep) cut and a toothpick to enlarge it where the wire will be located.

The plastic support that give your wing an angle of 4 will make an unattractive bulb to your sticker, too.

I made a cut at the front and rear edge of the plastic piece so the sticker fits nicely.

To give the torsion wire a better support, I used some shrink tubing.

Rolf
beetyii is offline Find More Posts by beetyii
Last edited by beetyii; Nov 17, 2012 at 08:35 PM.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 02:11 PM
Joined Dec 2005
5,424 Posts
Quote:
Has anyone used and tested the $20 AR6400 from Target Hobbies yet? If you're State side and dont have an AR6400 brick but want a Microaces Kit, this could be an 'economical' solution!

Jon
Jon,

Have you looked into this brick any further? I am interested in the economical path if possible. I do not have any of the UM stuff from PZ or others thus no brick that I can salvage from another plane.

thanks
Obake is offline Find More Posts by Obake
Old Nov 10, 2012, 03:21 PM
Joined Dec 2005
5,424 Posts
Took the plunge and ordered the FW-190 deluxe kit and a few parts today. Not sure how long from the England to the east coast of the U.S. but I shall be patient.

Question to all .... I have not used this UHU Por adhesive. When it is thinned out, to what consistency should I seek. Watery, gooy, vaporous?
Obake is offline Find More Posts by Obake
Old Nov 10, 2012, 09:18 PM
Essen/Germany
Joined Dec 2006
569 Posts
Glued both halves of the fuselage together using the "wet trick" - everything went fine.

You can reposition the halves as long as you want, than press it together for a first bond dry it with a hair dryer to dry the water and activate the glue - last press and you're ready.

Made the tailwheel steerable for a better ground handling.

Wasn't very happy with the steering rods in the plastic tube, so I decided to make some supports for the steering rods with shrink tubing.

I halved the original plastic tube and used one half as cover - no binding, no flex everything works fine.

Rolf
Old Nov 11, 2012, 08:14 AM
Transmogrified.
Southern California
Joined Feb 2006
2,813 Posts
She's finished and ready!

The elevator problem was purely mechanical. I went with the idea I had regarding the pushrod and radio adjustment. Works beautifully.

I had sticker problems at the ailerons which are now fixed. Full deflection. I reinstalled the ESC per Rolf's photo and tucked the extra power lead into the opening in the fuselage per Jon's suggestion. CG is on the money.

I'll maiden it ASAP. Any suggestions regarding expo settings for the ailerons?
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 11, 2012, 02:48 PM
Essen/Germany
Joined Dec 2006
569 Posts
Maidened mine today in a sports hall (25x15m / 75X45 ft),

and that is way too small !

The FW 190 is a rocket in the air, with max half throttle she was really hard to control - walls everywhere ...

With the aileron at 100% she behaved like a 3D plane - jumped to 60% dual rate and 50% expo to calm her down.

Two crashes from a height of 3m in the air couldn't do anything to its robust structure - she is a real tough plane !

The gear is very robust, very nice construction.

One point that needs to be redone is the non steerable tailwheel - without this there is no fun when taxying on the ground, I'm going to do this on my FW 190 ...

I'm going to fly her outdoor next time in order to fine tune everything as I like it.

The motor is more powerfull than I had in mind.

With a battery at 3.8V (half-full) she is able to climb vertical out of your hand - impressive ...

What will happen with an GWS 5x4.3 prop ?!?

All in all I'm happy, the powertrain has more power than is needed, the structure is robust as a rock and the look is fantastic !

It only needs some practice to get used to it ...

Rolf
Old Nov 11, 2012, 03:35 PM
Transmogrified.
Southern California
Joined Feb 2006
2,813 Posts
How does it fly on those aileron settings? I may go ahead and do some expo before I fly it, but I like lots of aileron. The models on the Microaces video roll like crazy.

It definitely sounds as if lots of room is needed, so I'll try and pay a visit to the R/C club tomorrow, weather permitting. I'll fly it off the main runway and not the little park flyer/helicopter pad/U-control area.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 11, 2012, 04:09 PM
Essen/Germany
Joined Dec 2006
569 Posts
If you want it to fly as a warbird 60% DR and 50% expo are more than enough authority.

At 100% DR it will roll like a 3D plane, I like 3D planes but a FW is a FW ...

Rolf
Last edited by beetyii; Nov 12, 2012 at 01:11 AM.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 06:04 PM
Transmogrified.
Southern California
Joined Feb 2006
2,813 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beetyii View Post
If you want it to fly as a warbird 60% DR and 50% expo are more than enough authority.

At 100% DR it will roll like a 3D plane, I like 3D planes but a FW is a FW ...

Rolf
True...a 3D Fw-190 sounds a bit weird. I'll take your word for it and I can always dial in more control if needed. I'd rather have it a bit on comparatively tame side on the first flight or two.

Still too windy today to attempt a flight, but tomorrow may be better. I'm going to put it in the car and take it with me to work. If it's calm, it goes up before I go in.
RCG Plus Member