HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 03, 2012, 01:55 AM
Microaces Wingman
UK. Dorset
Joined Jun 2009
375 Posts
I cant thank you enough for your feedback and compliments guys. jake21, I know you have been waiting patiently for these kits for an age and I am so glad I havent dissapointed.

If you have any questions, feedback or need any help during the build please dont hesitate to get in contact.

Once you have built and flown the aircraft it would be fantastic if you could supply a photo of yourselves with the aircraft or an action shot and we will create a page on the website to display customer aircraft with room for a quote or two.

Brilliant!

Jon
deadbird is offline Find More Posts by deadbird
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 03, 2012, 12:55 PM
What tree??.......Doh!!
USA, WA, Seattle
Joined Aug 2007
714 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy01 View Post
Jon,

I'll be trying a three bladed prop on my FW-190...and a four blader on the P-51. Have you tried either of those?

Gene K
Gene!

Same 4 blade as we discussed in the other thread?

Thanks also on recommending the use of chalk! Given I have the right mix of colors, I will probably try that out as well.

Gonna start my build on my Microaces 51 tonight.

Neil
Smokin_Joes is offline Find More Posts by Smokin_Joes
Old Oct 03, 2012, 12:59 PM
What tree??.......Doh!!
USA, WA, Seattle
Joined Aug 2007
714 Posts
Jon, Have you considered making additional liveries for us to pick and choose or add to orders? Or perhaps a stripped version (bare fuse) to allow us to source our own decals to apply? Might not makes financial sense in your business model, but would certainly give us geeky guys decent option to make a microace's kit our own- if you know what I mean!

Cheers,

~Neil
Smokin_Joes is offline Find More Posts by Smokin_Joes
Old Oct 03, 2012, 03:30 PM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
2,841 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin_Joes View Post
Same 4 blade as we discussed in the other [UM Spitfire] thread?
At this point, I'm undecided since I haven't flown the Spitfire prop on my UM Mustang. However, given the small diameter of the that prop, I'll likely stay with the 2xMustang.

Further, the UM Mustang is 1/28 scale, whereas Jon's is 1/24, which will make the Spitfite prop look even smaller!

Gene K
speedy01 is offline Find More Posts by speedy01
Old Oct 05, 2012, 02:33 AM
Microaces Wingman
UK. Dorset
Joined Jun 2009
375 Posts
Our first 'Show & Tell'

Wednesday night just gone we were invited along to the monthly meet of the Christchurch & District Model Flying Club to give a presentation of the Microaces story and to show off the kits statically.

Everyone was very complimentary about the models and some, used to more substantial aircraft, couldnt believe the size of the components. The 1.7g aileron servo was top of the 'thats a what?' tree.

Tonight Simon & I are going along to their monthly indoor flying session to show them that the planes actually do fly and hopefully grab a few orders too.

Will take the video & stills camera along. It should be mighty interesting as 1) the hall is fairly small and 2) I dont have much indoor flying experience (aprox 15 mins).

Oh well, if nothing else it'll show how tough these planes are!

Jon
Old Oct 08, 2012, 02:03 PM
Microaces Wingman
UK. Dorset
Joined Jun 2009
375 Posts
Yep, the planes are tough!

No video from the indoor session I'm afraid. The venue was so small it only took a couple of attempts to realise that your never going to be able to fly either the Fw190 or the P-51 in what was the smallest hall used for flying I have been in.

We are talking the size of a badminton court with a 4 ft margin at the sides an 8ft either end. Just not enough width to turn.

One of the club members suggested we sell a pack of wall filler with every model

Everyone was impressed that there was no damage to the models, even thow they were slammed into walls and floors repeatedly.

It was a night for helis, 3D'ers and Vapors and not a lot else.

Has anyone used and tested the $20 AR6400 from Target Hobbies yet? If you're State side and dont have an AR6400 brick but want a Microaces Kit, this could be an 'economical' solution!

Jon
Old Oct 08, 2012, 02:09 PM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
2,841 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbird View Post
Has anyone used and tested the $20 AR6400 from Target Hobbies yet?
On the bench, my two are perfect - no chatter. Haven't flown them yet, but UNGN has.

Gene K
speedy01 is offline Find More Posts by speedy01
Old Oct 08, 2012, 06:03 PM
Transmogrified.
Southern California
Joined Feb 2006
2,810 Posts
I'm in the process of doing an official RCGroups review of the Fw-190 "Black 8." She's almost finished and I'm really looking forward to flying this little sweetie.

I'd hoped to get video this past weekend along with video for another model I'm reviewing, but it was a bit windy for a micro anyway.

The maiden should happen in the next day or two and if all goes well, I'll get the raw video this weekend and complete the review next week.

This company has done a fabulous job with everything from the packaging to the mind-blowing detail on the stickers. Not only that, they're a pleasure to work with.

The stickers really make this model. They're made from textured vinyl with details printed in textured inks. I've never seen anything like this and I describe it in the review as looking like a fine art print from a coffee table book come to life.
DismayingObservation is offline Find More Posts by DismayingObservation
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by DismayingObservation; Oct 08, 2012 at 06:22 PM.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 09:58 PM
Scratch building addict
United States, CA, Felton
Joined Jan 2005
654 Posts
Hmm I don't really want a ready to fly or pnp plane, I have lots of suitable electronics. Looking for a micro warbird arf that's not too expensive.

And from the home page pic they look like profile planes instead of full fuselage? Not a fan.

Nice looking planes though.
rotagen is offline Find More Posts by rotagen
Old Oct 10, 2012, 11:54 PM
Buellton, CA
Joined Dec 2008
140 Posts
Hi all,

I'm putting together my Microaces P-51 Old Crow and am pretty confused on the rudder attachment instructions as shown in step 9. I'm really not sure what I am supposed to glue to what. It also shows a small sticker or depron part (?) that covers the starboard side of the rudder joint after it's glued in place?

Maybe Deadbird or someone who has finished the build can chime in and let me know how it's supposed to work? Thanks in advance!

Mike Mc.
MinimumWage is offline Find More Posts by MinimumWage
Old Oct 11, 2012, 01:47 AM
United Kingdom, Middlesbrough
Joined Aug 2011
59 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinimumWage View Post
Hi all,

I'm putting together my Microaces P-51 Old Crow and am pretty confused on the rudder attachment instructions as shown in step 9. I'm really not sure what I am supposed to glue to what. It also shows a small sticker or depron part (?) that covers the starboard side of the rudder joint after it's glued in place?

Maybe Deadbird or someone who has finished the build can chime in and let me know how it's supposed to work? Thanks in advance!

Mike Mc.
Yes, that got me. I only figured it out AFTER I cocked it up. When you apply the stickers to the rudder piece the two tabs of sticker on the leading edge form the hinge. As I say I cocked this up by wrapping the first sticker tab around the leading edge and trimming the second. Doooh!!! but packing tape came to the rescue. You should find the depron piece among your scrap.. If not like me, you can easily cut another. I have since watched Micoaces first video which shows the application of the rudder stickers.
Wregie is offline Find More Posts by Wregie
Old Oct 11, 2012, 02:31 AM
Microaces Wingman
UK. Dorset
Joined Jun 2009
375 Posts
Hi Mike, sorry to hear you're having an issue.

With this novel method of construction there's only so much previous experience thats helpful. But once you've built one it becomes much easier.

The rudder attaches as follows:

Apply a little glue to the 'cutout' area on the starboard side of the fuselage tail right at the back of the aircraft.

Now place the hinge created by the stickers at the LE of the rudder onto the glued area of the fuselage tail leaving enough slack for the hinge to work - about half a mm. (Check it from the port side for alignment)

In extracting the starboard fuselage yo may have missed the fillet of Depron at the tail of the aircraft. This is the peice I believe you are probably confused about.

The part mentioned that you thought could be a sticker is actually this small fillet of foam. If you've mislayed it you can just cut another one from the excess foam.

Once the rudder is in place you put this fillet ove the top of the hinge on the starb'd side to complete the tail airframe.

A good tip is to download the Microaces manual as a PDF then you can zoom in to see the detail, something which you cant do as well on paper!

I've attached an extract of the manual with parts labels.

I hope this helps

Please feel free to bring up any other issues. Being a new way of building there is a great deal to get your head around - and a good deal for us to learn too for improving future designs.

Jon

Edit: Wregie got their before me.. Posted while I was still faffing! Still, two replies are better than one!?
Last edited by deadbird; Oct 11, 2012 at 02:37 AM.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 10:43 AM
Buellton, CA
Joined Dec 2008
140 Posts
Thanks Wregie and deadbird! I made the same mistake with folding over the stickers as Wregie. I'll have to see if I can peel them apart, or just make up a tape hinge. No big deal.

I'm ashamed to admit that I actually watched the video but I guess I wasn't paying close enough attention!

Mike
MinimumWage is offline Find More Posts by MinimumWage
Old Oct 11, 2012, 11:08 AM
United Kingdom, Middlesbrough
Joined Aug 2011
59 Posts
Hi dead bird just a quickie, if you'll pardon the expression. Another dumb question.
What do you suggest for the 3g weight toward the tail? According to my scales a 5p piece weighs exactly 3g
Wregie is offline Find More Posts by Wregie
Old Oct 11, 2012, 11:27 AM
Microaces Wingman
UK. Dorset
Joined Jun 2009
375 Posts
That's what I use. I know it puts the price of the kit up but it's worth it