Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 27, 2012, 08:52 AM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,167 Posts
Well I didn't get my FW190 finished as planned but some of it is complete and the one thing that struck me is how much FUN this thing is to put together. It's a classic desktop relaxed build.

Nice one, Jon
jj604 is online now Find More Posts by jj604
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 27, 2012, 02:31 PM
Micro Flyer
United Kingdom, Marham Airfield
Joined Jun 2005
769 Posts
Heros of the Skies is on Channel 5 (UK) right now! Very cool gun footage! Its all about George Beurling and lack of Rule following but Expert flying and marksmanship!

Could be a good model for the fleet
lord chris is offline Find More Posts by lord chris
Old Sep 27, 2012, 04:22 PM
Microaces Wingman
UK. Dorset
Joined Jun 2009
375 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lord chris View Post
Heros of the Skies is on Channel 5 (UK) right now! Very cool gun footage! Its all about George Beurling and lack of Rule following but Expert flying and marksmanship!

Could be a good model for the fleet
Great history. Just finished watching it on 5+. Those programs contain a huge amount of extremely interesting info but they are produced or edited by people with a complete lack of attention to any sort of detail. Narrator is saying that he's shooting down a Fw190 but the CG animation is clearly of a Bf109. The Spitfires change from standard grey green to tropical brown and sand in a split second and there are Bf109Es flying all over the place as if its the BoB. There were so many misidentified aircraft and irrelevant historical footage used to fill time it just got annoying after a while.

Such a fantastic subject of such an unusual and focused pilot was just made a hash of by poor, really poor production. I'm a bit angry about it actually
deadbird is offline Find More Posts by deadbird
Old Sep 27, 2012, 04:36 PM
Micro Flyer
United Kingdom, Marham Airfield
Joined Jun 2005
769 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbird View Post
Such a fantastic subject of such an unusual and focused pilot was just made a hash of by poor, really poor production. I'm a bit angry about it actually
HAHA i know what you mean. I worked on C130s a few years back. Ultimate Force used some shots of our hercs... The outside was a K model herc. and they used J model Herc for the internals as it was glass cockpit and looked nicer

So how about it... The Falcon of Malta's Spitfire
lord chris is offline Find More Posts by lord chris
Old Sep 27, 2012, 04:56 PM
Microaces Wingman
UK. Dorset
Joined Jun 2009
375 Posts
Well, the first Spit is going to be that of ace pilot Eric Lock. Highest scoring British ace of the BoB. I couldnt go to a 5th kit without having a British Ace in there. I'd probably be executed for treason!

So Eric's is a Mk1a with a 'baby spinner'. You know, the stubby little thing the first few marks had. It'll take some new or extra tooling to produce a Maltese Mk Vc with that enlarged intake under the chin and its bigger spinner, but the defence of Malta is such an important part of WWII it should and will be a subject to tackle, just not right now unfortunately.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 05:37 PM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
2,853 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbird View Post
Well, the first Spit is going to be that of ace pilot Eric Lock.
Looking forward to that!

Motivational reading here.

Gene K
speedy01 is offline Find More Posts by speedy01
Old Sep 27, 2012, 05:53 PM
Microaces Wingman
UK. Dorset
Joined Jun 2009
375 Posts
The Battle Of Britain Memorial Flight have actually repainted their MkIIa Spitfire as EB-G Mk1a as a tribute to Eric. Means I can go and have a look at a real one as part of my research!

Eric's story is certainly not well known but is very interesting none the less!

Jon
Old Sep 27, 2012, 09:16 PM
Arrowhead
Joined Dec 2010
1,128 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MICROACES View Post
Tell me more!

I havent done a great deal of research into the RAF Mustangs as the majority of Ace pilots I found seemed to fly the Mustang MkIII (P-51C)

At some time in the future I plan to do the P-51B & C, but if there is a suitable D type then I'm all for it as it's a lot more simple to do.

Jon
Part of the collection owned & operated by Vintage Wings of Canada, out of Gatineau, Quebec.

Vintage Wings

She's a Mustang IV in the markings of 442 Sqn. RCAF, which apparently flew the last operational fighter mission in the European Theatre.
CF105 is online now Find More Posts by CF105
Old Sep 27, 2012, 11:53 PM
Carbondale PA
Joined Aug 2005
529 Posts
I just completed my build of the Old Crow P-51! All I can say is that it is a wonderful kit that is fun to build. I like the idea of using the stickers on this type of model. I had fun watching her come alive as I added them per the instructions. The build is a little addicting. I started out slow, working an hour or so a night. I then worked a marathon build session yesterday to complete her.

I woke up early today, and checked the wind. It did not look that bad, so I went out to give her a test flight. The model flew great on the first hop. The design flies very scale like. I was doing nice rolls, loops and even some knife edge flight without the gear. I then added the gear and flew her again. I was still able to do a loop and some nice rolls! I was very happy to see that the model has good stall characteristics that are easily recoverable. The model slows down nicely for landings. Overall great job!

Joe.
Joe Malinchak is offline Find More Posts by Joe Malinchak
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Micro Laser 3D
Old Sep 28, 2012, 02:11 AM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
2,853 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Malinchak View Post
I just completed my build of the Old Crow P-51!
Looks good, Joe, and glad to hear that the maiden was very successful!

I haven't finished my FW-190, but would like to pass on that I used chalk pastels to dress up the bare white Depron that shows between stickers. It's easy to use a razor blade to scrape and mix chalk to match the stickers before adding them. I use a stiff brush to apply the chalk to the Depron edges, then rub in lightly with fingertip. Makes a nice difference to me.

Gene K
speedy01 is offline Find More Posts by speedy01
Old Sep 28, 2012, 02:34 PM
Microaces Wingman
UK. Dorset
Joined Jun 2009
375 Posts
Got to see that Gene, can't wait to see the pics.

For anyone with 24 minutes to spare here is the video of the first few steps of the build.

MICROACES - Starting the build (23 min 47 sec)

It's long because it goes through everything. I thought for those making a Microaces kit for the first time, these first steps are the most important as you learn a great deal that can be applied to the rest of the kit in a very short space of time.

I'll try and keep the rest of the vids down to under 10 mins a piece, promise!

Jon
Old Sep 28, 2012, 03:18 PM
When pigs fly rc
USA, NY, Chester
Joined Apr 2008
2,431 Posts
Good video!
Are they available in the USA ?
rcrich is online now Find More Posts by rcrich
Old Sep 28, 2012, 03:48 PM
Microaces Wingman
UK. Dorset
Joined Jun 2009
375 Posts
Hi rcrich, yep, I ship worldwide. The shipping rates are on the Microaces website (bottom left). If you place your order on there it usually gets shipped out next day.

It's a signed for and tracked service from the UK and takes 7-15 days.

Jon
Old Oct 02, 2012, 03:36 PM
Joined Dec 2010
54 Posts
Thanks for taking the time to create these videos. I also received my kit and was very impressed at the craftsmanship and quality of the entire kit. Bravo and you have my thanks! I will definitely purchase another in the future.
jake21 is offline Find More Posts by jake21
Old Oct 03, 2012, 12:43 AM
Czech Republic, South Moravian Region, Brno
Joined Mar 2012
7 Posts
+1
I agree with jake, the kit is very well prepared, a lot of care, very smart construction. The vids are also good thing to see the little tricks when completing the model. Manufacturer did really good job.
Skacee is offline Find More Posts by Skacee