HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 02, 2012, 10:41 AM
I think I'm inverted. Maybe.
United States, CA, Pacifica
Joined Apr 2012
1,505 Posts
Video
A iPhone shot down my radian :D

I'm doing a slow flyby of the strip when my friend starts recording with his iPhone. Only a few seconds after he starts recording (movie not edited) my engine gives out and I have to land. I was already about 30 mins into a thermal flight, and the failure happed right after he started filming. I CALL SHENANIGANS! (sarcasm)

Just listen to the audio. Sorry I don't have a better video - he emailed it to me in low quality.... but you can get the point.

Radian Motor Fail (0 min 8 sec)

EDIT: The Radian gets its revenge
acetech09 is offline Find More Posts by acetech09
Last edited by acetech09; Sep 05, 2012 at 07:21 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 02, 2012, 01:22 PM
Look out! The lever!
United States, AZ, Peoria
Joined Feb 2005
2,597 Posts
Several years back this was an issue with Multiplex EVO. FWIW.
bobthenuke is offline Find More Posts by bobthenuke
Old Sep 02, 2012, 08:04 PM
hass-alfed and bass-ackwards
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Jun 2008
5,239 Posts
I'm calling BS. You flew for 30 minutes, then expected a full throttle zoom? I think the expectations of your equipment are more likely to blame than Apple.
carlsoti is offline Find More Posts by carlsoti
Old Sep 02, 2012, 08:34 PM
Joined Apr 2012
1,505 Posts
It's a radian. + thermals. And a 2200mAh battery. Do you soar much?

Standing voltage was at 3.8-3.9v upon landing. Was low, and might have triggered the cutoff, but I wouldn't expect a cutoff to make that weird grindy noise.
Old Sep 03, 2012, 12:17 AM
hass-alfed and bass-ackwards
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Jun 2008
5,239 Posts
I didn't hear the weird grindy noise. My mistake. I didn't realize that's what it was you were talking about. I'm still not convinced the iphone had anything to do with it. The rf band it operates in is nowhere near 2.4g or 72mhz. It's possible a harmonic could intersect the fequency, but at such a low power, it's not likely. It could be a bearing going bad. That could cause all the issues seen. Bad bearings can be grindy. A grindy bad bearing could also spike the amp draw, knocking down the voltage of the battery, and trip the LVC. The grinding metal against metal can also produce rf that can interfere with a wide swath of the rf spectrum.

EDIT:Actually, listening back to it, it sounds like the motor is spinning in the collet. Been there, done that. Check it out. If that's the case, you need to scruff up the motors output shaft, and make sure there's absolutely NO trace of any lubricant inside the collet./

BTW, yes I do soar. Nothing I'd consider putting a 2200 in, though. I've got a couple EasyGliders, one is pure glider, the other flies on a 1300 because I don't have anything smaller, and a fleet of busted up DLGs from my previous cycle F3K campaign. It didn't go as well as I had hoped, but my buddy George went to Sweden and placed 2nd in the world, just behind Joe Wurts. As things are going right now, he's in a spot to make another run at the gold, and I still have a pile of broken gliders.
carlsoti is offline Find More Posts by carlsoti
Old Sep 03, 2012, 10:22 AM
Joined Apr 2012
1,505 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlsoti View Post
The rf band it operates in is nowhere near 2.4g or 72mhz. It's possible a harmonic could intersect the fequency, but at such a low power, it's not likely. It could be a bearing going bad. That could cause all the issues seen. Bad bearings can be grindy. A grindy bad bearing could also spike the amp draw, knocking down the voltage of the battery, and trip the LVC. The grinding metal against metal can also produce rf that can interfere with a wide swath of the rf spectrum.
Heh... I was joking about the iPhone thing... I'm pretty sure it was a coincidence. I'll check the collet.
Old Sep 03, 2012, 07:39 PM
Joined Apr 2012
1,505 Posts
Collet seemed to be the problem. There was quite a bit of play. Tightened it down, and spent about 4 hours today at the field soaring. Taped my iPhone to the bottom of it and did some impromptu aerial photography
Old Sep 04, 2012, 10:51 PM
USA, CA, Livermore
Joined May 2010
439 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by acetech09 View Post
Collet seemed to be the problem. There was quite a bit of play. Tightened it down, and spent about 4 hours today at the field soaring. Taped my iPhone to the bottom of it and did some impromptu aerial photography
Yeah, i wouldn't do that
Hopefully the tape was strong!
RCSwitz18 is offline Find More Posts by RCSwitz18
Old Sep 04, 2012, 11:00 PM
Joined Apr 2012
1,505 Posts
Just finished editing the video - and uploading to youtube now. Should be done in about 40 mins:

The iRadian (4 min 48 sec)
Last edited by acetech09; Sep 05, 2012 at 07:20 PM.