HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 02, 2012, 04:07 AM
Kiwi in Germany
Germany
Joined Jun 2010
2,255 Posts
Discussion
How to attach coroplast fins to epp

I am having some problems keeping my fin on my wing. What are you guys using to hold the fins on the wing. My FPV wing is about 2kg and they seem to be ripping off all the time. I have tried super glue, hot glue and expoy.

Oh even in soft landings they come off.
whakahere is offline Find More Posts by whakahere
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 02, 2012, 04:34 AM
USA, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2008
647 Posts
I use hot glue and it's worked fine on wings up to 1.2kg. I use 4mm symmetrical coroplast fins (meaning they're both above & below the wing). Care to share a picture of the fins on the wing?
hawkz is online now Find More Posts by hawkz
Old Sep 02, 2012, 06:51 AM
United States, MD, Cambridge
Joined Jan 2011
403 Posts
I was having the same problem with winglets ripping off, especially when using hot glue. I forget where I had seen this method (I think a Ritewing video), but what I started to do was tack the winglets on with hot glue and then spread a bead of Goop around the entire joint where the winglet meets the wing. Comes out rock solid and I haven't had a winglet rip off since.
fnffishcore is offline Find More Posts by fnffishcore
Old Sep 02, 2012, 07:33 AM
More Pile-it than Pilot
Shawnee, Kansas
Joined Nov 2002
1,125 Posts
Try gluing a couple of 1" to 1 1/2" pieces of 3/8" diameter dowel rod into the end of your wing. Then use a screw in each to hold the tip on. I use a bamboo skewer pushed into the coroplast to stiffen it, but you can just glue it on like before.
mdennis is offline Find More Posts by mdennis
Old Sep 02, 2012, 11:29 AM
Kiwi in Germany
Germany
Joined Jun 2010
2,255 Posts
thanks guys. I have ended up trying screws and hot glue. I will see how this works out.
Old Sep 02, 2012, 12:38 PM
AMA 937634
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Jan 2010
1,587 Posts
I cut an oversized slit in my fin and then feed Extreme Tape through it and tape it to the wing. Wrap the tape through the slit so it can be taped on both the top and the bottom of the wing.

You'd need 2 slits if the fin extends both above and below the wing.

-Mike
Stone1295 is online now Find More Posts by Stone1295
Old Sep 04, 2012, 04:55 AM
Crashomatic
United States, CA, SF
Joined May 2010
2,053 Posts
i use hk's blue velcro.. im amazed mine didn't come off yet :P
on other wings I have often used goop-like/por-like glues. those hold well.

hotglue is great in many cases, but for winglets, not so good, since it has nearly zero flex (ca being equally bad)
CrashMeUp is offline Find More Posts by CrashMeUp
Old Sep 04, 2012, 06:29 AM
Kiwi in Germany
Germany
Joined Jun 2010
2,255 Posts
yea I found that hot glue or CA just didn't work. Epoxy doesn't work either. I had to use hot glue top even the surface after cutting off my old winglets (they were half off anyway) I used hot glue to level the surface. I also have two plastic screws each for the winglets. later in winter when hot glue fails I will glue the winglet on with uhu por and bolts.

Thanks again guys.
Old Sep 05, 2012, 12:14 PM
Corflute Codger
Australia, New South Wales, Fernmount
Joined Feb 2011
581 Posts
depends what your wings are made from. I use small cable ties to attach coro tips to coro wings. Then some hot glue. If the hot glue fails the tips will stay on. they'll have some flex but will still do the job until you land.
just noticed its about epp wing. cable ties might tear through EPP
flymess is offline Find More Posts by flymess
Last edited by flymess; Sep 05, 2012 at 12:19 PM. Reason: correction
Old Sep 06, 2012, 10:40 PM
United States, NY, Jamestown
Joined Dec 2004
257 Posts
Best way in my opinion is the way Jeremy of Ohio Combat taught me. Use the hollow yellow plastic pushrod, (forgot the actual name/manufacturer), then place a screw through the coroplast into a small section of the pushrod that has been imbedded and hot glued. Just like using plastic anchors on drywall.
galognu is offline Find More Posts by galognu
Old Sep 07, 2012, 01:39 AM
Bone Breaker
Dallas , Texas, United States
Joined Oct 2002
825 Posts
There are lots of different types of hot glue and many different guns. With epp and coroplast winglets use high temp. Low temp just doesn't cut it.
Lammergier is offline Find More Posts by Lammergier
Old Sep 09, 2012, 05:34 PM
Joined Nov 2010
95 Posts
I also use 2 slits in the wing tip, with folded over extreme tape pushed through as a strap, then tape that onto the surfaces of the wing. It's stronger than the wingtip itself and doesn't add weight. Plus won't damage your model if u have a bad crash.
HC
HighwayChild is offline Find More Posts by HighwayChild
Old Sep 09, 2012, 09:56 PM
almost slackin
Joined Dec 2005
469 Posts
Goop, strong enough without being brittle.
Piledriver is offline Find More Posts by Piledriver
Old Sep 10, 2012, 06:16 AM
Kiwi in Germany
Germany
Joined Jun 2010
2,255 Posts
yea .. hot glue and bolt while stronger ... not strong enough

I'll use some of the ideas above.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 02:27 PM
United States, MD, Kensington
Joined Dec 2008
315 Posts
What I do is cut a couple of 1/4" dowels about 1" long for each wing tip. I embed them in the wing tip with about 1/4" sticking out using hot melt glue. I then drill matching holes in the fins. Finally, I use the slit and strapping tape method to hold the fin on. The idea is that the dowels keep the fin from moving around, so the tape holds them on. So far, it's worked really well.
michaelingp is online now Find More Posts by michaelingp