HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by deckert, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Sep 01, 2012, 09:58 PM
Plowin Dirt
USA, WA, Benton City
Joined Oct 2007
1,578 Posts
Discussion
RC Sport Flyer's 2012 Washington Warbirds Event

Well, it was a long day filled with unknowns. Unknown if there would be pilots or spectators as this was a 1st event. Even though it's a 2-1/2 hour drive just to get there, the wife & I loaded up and went for it. Granted we just went for photos and the BS but what the hey. We were not to be disappointed. We got there about 9:30am and there was a pretty fair gathering of pilots & spectators already. Goldendale, WA is not a big town. It's like 3400 population. During our visit, more pilots and more visitors just kept rolling in. The weather was perfect as there was a slight breeze straight down the runway, no clouds & plenty of sunshine. I even pinked up a little more with the sunshine.

Just guessing, I'd estimate there were around 150 or so people there at any givin time. I forgot to ask how many registered pilots were there but there were enough that planes were constantly in the air. Although the event was to be a War bird Event, it seemingly culminated into a fly-what-ya brung affair. Don't get me wrong, there were plenty of warbirds there in different flavors. There was a group from the Spokane/Deer Park WA area that attended and they had a 250+ mile drive.

One pilot flew into the event in a 172 and brought planes to fly. But the best was yet to come. The organizers of the event had made arrangements for WAAAM to bring in a full scale Waco UBF. Reportedly, there are only 6 of these still flying in the USA. BTW, IF you have never made it to Hood River, Ore. to the WAAAM museum, you'd better take the time. It'll knock yer socks off and leave you slobbering to get into full size birds or start restoring old cars. You NEED to check their site out and see what's coming up next weekend. It's nothing less than spectacular!

The organizers made provisions for the public to sit in comfort by bringing in two bleacher stands to sit on to view the show and they were well used. Thank goodness they did because my back & legs were failing from all the picture taking and bs'ing with the pilots. This whole event was like a big ol family gathering and meeting long last relatives, but without the fighting and bickering.

This event does need a better food vendor. The food was ok but I'm of the mind this may have a 1st for them as they were ill prepared to have a good menu that's variable enough to accommodate the most basic requests by the public. Not to mention, they were on the pricey side of things for this area compared to the other events I've attended in a 200 mile radius of my field.

How to transport RC planes to an event. (0 min 9 sec)

1st West to East flyby upon arrival. (0 min 17 sec)

East to west flyby upon arrival. (0 min 15 sec)

Fired up & taking off. (0 min 34 sec)

Was the event worth attending? A big yes! Was it what was advertised? Umm, not quite. Would I go again? Yes! How can you you forego great people, wonderful weather and just have fun?

Lest I forget, I need to put in a plus for the wife. While she's not big into RC, she tolerates my nasty habit. On the way back from this event, we or I, or a combo of both, decided we should stop in Goldendale to view their museum. Trust me when I tell you men the effort is worth the time to keep the better 1/2 happy. She was a happy camper and that just makes life simpler. We took a 'shortcut' from Goldendale & came back thru Bickelton, WA. Low & behold, they were having their annual Car Show. As me & the wife help sponsor the annual Car Show here in Benton City, WA, we had to stop & view. Met 1/2 dozen or so that attended our show. Just perfect!

Dan
deckert is online now Find More Posts by deckert
Last edited by deckert; Sep 01, 2012 at 10:20 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 07, 2012, 10:44 AM
Vancouver, WA
Joined Jan 2006
2 Posts
It was definitely a lot of fun and it has the potential to become a huge event. They just have a few kinks to work out. I am planning to attend next year. Thanks for posting the photos!!!
Jshirron is offline Find More Posts by Jshirron