HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Knife Liddle, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Sep 01, 2012, 06:18 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,360 Posts
Mini-HowTo
Reversing HK Etracts

I`ve wondered for a while if you could reverse some of the etract units on the market. I`ve reversed the truion block in some air/air retracts for a custom fit for some situations, and it was no problem. This may seem obvious to some guys, and i always thought it would work, but had never sat down and done it.

So I decided to cut up a medium sized HK etract to see if it would work. Yep, it does. It`s pretty simple. You just have to remove the pivot axle, cut away some plastic and turn the truion block around. Works like a champ.

Most applications, the stock set up works fine. But if you run into a space issue, or a problem with the strut interfering with the etract motor housing, give it a try.

It will be nessesary to add some extra mounting tabs for the mounting plate. Or you could just glue the mounting plate in place and reinforce it some. They are less than $100 a piece so they are disposable.

It seems to me that with just a little effort, this feature could be added to most of the etracts on the market. Why not factory guys?
Knife Liddle is online now Find More Posts by Knife Liddle
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Knife Liddle; Sep 01, 2012 at 06:36 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 15, 2012, 06:30 PM
My project: FAIREY DELTA 1
Uden Volkel, Netherlands
Joined Dec 2003
4,976 Posts
Good modification!
I was hinking the same thing when redesigning the Rich uravich Miniwave wing to retracts I wasn't able to use very short struts. You show mounting a nose e-retract to a firewall is a no brainer now AND place the motor facing the tips give more structural reinforcing options in the wing as well.

great!
Erik v. Schaik is offline Find More Posts by Erik v. Schaik
Old Sep 15, 2012, 07:54 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,360 Posts
I never thought about mounting the motor housing vertically. You are right, that becomes a great option now. Even mains on many jets that are in the fuselage could be done with firewall type mounting. Should be much more simple to do than rails. Also tilted gear like anF-16 might be easier.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 16, 2012, 04:08 AM
My project: FAIREY DELTA 1
Uden Volkel, Netherlands
Joined Dec 2003
4,976 Posts
And best of all, short scale like struts. jets look better with them, scale or not.

I have a similar set from Jepe (alu trunion). I aded a servo lever at the side of the trunion and a switch to cancel out the steering servo for the nose retract. I would have liked to see this incorperated in a nose-e-retract because this is very hard to program on my Tx.

Too bad you had to cut away the 2 brass nuts. could it be possible to keep them by adding an U-slot only? That would be best for mounting.
Erik v. Schaik is offline Find More Posts by Erik v. Schaik
Old Sep 16, 2012, 10:56 AM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,360 Posts
On this etract the mounting points on that end are closer together and the brass nuts had to be removed (oh that sounds painful LOL) for the truion to rotate. I thought I would just add some material to the side of the unit and make new mounting holes. The other mounting plate ( the solid one for base mounting) still works fine and it could be modified into a "u" shaped plate for rail mounting apps.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 26, 2012, 12:09 AM
Australia, QLD, Oxenford
Joined Oct 2010
2,228 Posts
I know it's a bit late but you could use these ones:-http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...stem_1pc_.html which have a mounting plate on the back!!

LURCH
taz101 is offline Find More Posts by taz101
Old Nov 26, 2012, 12:50 AM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by taz101 View Post
I know it's a bit late but you could use these ones:-http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...stem_1pc_.html which have a mounting plate on the back!!

LURCH
Yes those will work.
RCG Plus Member