HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 08, 2013, 08:41 AM
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Nov 2010
257 Posts
Tim. If you're sure you don't need them that would be great. If you want I'll send you my Royal Navy flag that odds are I'll never use. Always good to have a backup. I'll send you a private message with details.

Gary. Thanks for the offer. Looks like Tim will set me up. The hull of your Surprise is larger than the brig/schooner hull. Not sure about the gun size.

Dan. Yeah I assumed all your original kit parts have long ago been modified or floated out to sea after meeting a big wave
Jpop Andrew is offline Find More Posts by Jpop Andrew
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 08, 2013, 05:42 PM
Joined Nov 2010
257 Posts
Poop deck water flow.

Question. I'm trying to figure out if I should make the front wall for the poop deck watertight, or leave an opening along the waterways. The sides and transom connections to the poop deck probably won't be watertight, so water will get down onto the main deck. Any thoughts?

Also, does the hole for the rudder actually drain water at all?
Old Jan 08, 2013, 06:14 PM
United States, MN, Brainerd
Joined Oct 2004
2,348 Posts
I would keep the poop deck totally removeable in case you need rudder access, etc.
Wouldn't try to seal it either. The main deck curves upward at the stern, so leave openings along the waterways for drainage as water flows from the stern forward. The deck is also slightly crowned - higher in center than at sides.
The rudder tube is open from deck down thru hull. The tube edges should be sealed top and bottom so no water can get inside the hull. It is simply aa open tube top and bottom, so it will drain water, but given the raised stern and crown in the deck, not much water will reach it, especially when covered by the poop deck.

As you sail, and over time, you will need to do maintenance, repairs and will want to make changes. Leave everything possible removeable/changeable.
DanL is offline Find More Posts by DanL
Last edited by DanL; Jan 08, 2013 at 10:50 PM.
Old Jan 08, 2013, 06:55 PM
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Aug 2012
407 Posts
Andrew,

Armament department here. Your extra guns are on their way. Should have them before the weekend.

Tim
TBowman is offline Find More Posts by TBowman
Last edited by TBowman; Jan 08, 2013 at 08:37 PM.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 07:33 AM
Joined Nov 2010
257 Posts
Thanks again Tim for the new cannons. Now I have a fun little choice. Do I put my two carronades on the forecastle or underneath? I just finished reading a Bolitho novel in which his frigate's two carronades were placed on the forecastle right before the battle of the Saintes.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 11:49 AM
Joined Aug 2012
407 Posts
Hi Andrew,

Always good to have more cannon options.

Thanks for the ensign.
Tim
Old Jan 19, 2013, 10:49 PM
Joined Nov 2010
257 Posts
Week 21: Wall and trim.

Poop deck front wall. Measuring and shaping the wall proved harder than I thought. The single basswood piece needed to fit the curve of the deck, the slight incline of the bulwarks and trim and the edge difference for the raised bulwark addition. I left openings on either bottom corner so water could flow out from under the poop deck to reach the scuppers on the main deck.

The front of the wall was planked with 10mm basswood strips. I'll eventually add a door and maybe some windows, but to get things rolling I epoxied and wood-glued the wall in place. Enough planning, time to move forward.

Now that I see it in place I think I might lose the #10 gun positions to allow more room on the quarterdeck. So I'll probably make a wall to cover the gun port openings and add some shelves or pegs or something. Details, details, details.

Inner rail trim. Before adding the birch wood strips along the top insides of the bulwarks I needed to do some fixes on my not-exactly-perfectly-done bulwark installation. I had to add some thin wood strips and epoxy here... and drill down some bulwark and flange edges there... Epoxy seemed a good option for gluing the strips in place.

Once the rail trim is painted everything should look ok, but I'll hate painting over that beautiful wood grain. Actually I still haven't decided what color the bulwarks and main rail will be painted yet. I'm still leaning toward white bulwarks with either a black or brown railing.

More cannons. Captain Tim of the HMS Scorpion was kind enough to give me two cannons and two carronades from his kit, since the Theresa Marie will need either two or four more guns than the supplied 18. Now I just need to decide if I put the different looking carronades on the forecastle or underneath.
Last edited by Jpop Andrew; Jan 19, 2013 at 11:04 PM.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 04:51 PM
Joined Nov 2010
257 Posts
Week 22: Lids and Cabinets

Side cabinets. The #10 gun ports were converted into cabinets using basswood, brass nails and epoxy. Not sure if I'm going to paint this the same color as the bulwarks or not.

Gun port lids. Attaching the lids was a two part process. First I glued the basswood pieces directly onto the pre-scratched hull using superglue and epoxy. Then I drilled a hole through the center of each rhombus and epoxied in a cut brass nail all the way through the hull. I didn't make any extra lids, so hopefully this will keep everything securely attached.

(And yes, eagle-eyed observers of the gun port lid positions might notice an intentional anomaly to avert future issues with the channel positions and to make things a wee bit simpler. Hush, hush.)

Scupper cleanup. I filed down the extra white epoxy on the outside openings to the scuppers and applied some black paint -- the first paint on the hull. With the gun port lids finally in place I'm itching to paint the hull's black and white bands, but I want to wait until everything that needs to be glued on is in place.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 06:48 PM
Joined Aug 2012
407 Posts
Looking good Andrew!

Tim
Old Jan 27, 2013, 09:26 PM
Joined Nov 2010
257 Posts
Steps and scupper issue. I just realized that my scupper #5 is right where the bottom two steps are suppose to attach to the hull. It looks like Dan had the same issue and just omitted the bottom seventh step. Is this an issue with the plans or did I do something wrong? No biggie, I'm just wondering before Tim gets to his scupper drilling phase.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:03 PM
Joined Aug 2012
407 Posts
Hi Andrew

Because I added the sweep ports, my steps moved back slightly(per Cruizer plans) and don't think they will interfere with scuppers.

Here's where I plan to have them (approximately).

Tim
Old Jan 28, 2013, 06:51 AM
United States, MN, Brainerd
Joined Oct 2004
2,348 Posts
Andrew,
Right, my scupper hole came out just a hair below the step. I put the step on anyway, and lost it a couple of times. Then I just left it off. The pin holes for mounting the step are still inghe hull - I should fix that now that you remind me.

Keep up the graet progress reports - much appreciated to have the pics and build info.

Best,
Dan
DanL is offline Find More Posts by DanL
Old Feb 02, 2013, 08:00 AM
Joined Nov 2010
257 Posts
Week 23: Channels, steps, catheads.

To prep for painting the hull I'm trying to attaching most of the parts that will need to be glued on.

Fore and Main Channels. Because of the impact abuse these take I took Dan's advice and coated the plywood pieces with a layer of epoxy. I couldn't easily find the 15 minute epoxy he used so I ended up making a mix of 5 minute Devcon clear epoxy with equal portions of denatured alcohol. I brushed this mix on with a cheap paint brush until the pieces were good and saturated. Seemed to work well, as the alcohol appeared to stretch the 5 minute hardening time a bit.

A screwdriver proved handy for cleaning out extra epoxy from the channels' slots. After painting them black I used five nail pins and epoxy to secure them in place on the well scored hull.

Moments after attaching the last channel I suddenly realize that some of their slots are slightly overlapping some of my gun port lids. Arg. I thought I had very carefully measured and double checked the positions of the channels according to the plans, but didn't think to make sure the actual slots were completely clear. So I guess I'll need to extend a few of the slots a smidge. Ah well.

FYI, there's a gradual 1/4 inch tapering of the positions of the gun ports from the top rail across the 43 inch long gun row. According to the SC&H instructions the main channel should hang below the tops of the open gun ports #7-9. Since that won't work with gun port lids, I decided to place my lids symmetrically in line with the second 10mm hull plank. Which means some my gun port lids are not perfectly align with the actual gun port openings in the bulwarks. I'll be curious to see if anyone ever notices.

Steps. I discovered that scupper #5 was right where the bottom two steps were suppose to attach. So I made some modifications to the plans. First I glued on a basswood "ladder board" with the step holes already drilled in. The holes were then drilled into the hull and the steps pinned in place. I like this look better than having the steps directly on the hull, plus it was easier for me to line everything up.

I decided to just use five steps instead of seven by omitting the more vulnerable bottom two. This leaves me a couple of extras incase one breaks off, which appears to be common. I guess the Theresa Maries will just have to step into the scupper to reach the ladder.

To finish I scored some plank lines onto the ladder board. Ready for painting.

Catheads. I was dubious of successfully cutting the three tiny slits these pieces are apparently suppose to have at the head. So instead I just drilled two pairs of holes for the future ropes and cut out shallow grooves connecting them. I pinned them in place with two nail pins and epoxy. Good enough.

5th Naming. As a way of saying thanks for all the help and inspiration he's been, Dan of course gets the 1st Lieutenant spot on the Theresa Marie. Many thanks Dan.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 03:42 PM
Joined Aug 2012
407 Posts
Moving along nicely Andrew. fun to watch.

Tim
Old Feb 03, 2013, 08:59 PM
Joined Nov 2010
257 Posts
Thanks Tim.

Quarter galleries? Did any of the SC&H brig/schooner captains try adding quarter galleries to their model? I was inspired enough from Jerry Todd's scratch built Constellation that I'm giving it some thought before painting the hull. Lots of curving and diagonal angles to deal with though.

Also, is there anything else that needs to get glued to the hull that I'm missing before I paint? I don't see anything else on the plans, but haven't gone over the written instructions line by line yet.