HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 21, 2012, 07:57 PM
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Nov 2010
257 Posts
Thanksgiving Day 2nd Naming

Looks like the forecastle is going to take longer than a week to finish so I probably won't do my usual build update on Sunday. But there's something I certainly didn't want to miss...

2nd Naming. Wish I had done this on Veteran's Day, but we'll instead call it a "Thank you for your service" Thanksgiving naming in honor of our resident paratrooper and former captain of the HMS Surprise: Able seaman "Geronimo" Ray. Ray is rumored to have been a harpooner on a whaling ship out of Nantucket before signing on with the Theresa Marie.

Seriously, thank you Ray and all the veterans who have chosen to serve our country. Three cheers.
Jpop Andrew is offline Find More Posts by Jpop Andrew
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 27, 2012, 01:42 AM
United States, CA, Castro Valley
Joined Mar 2012
166 Posts
here is something to watch while you are waiting for the glue to dry.

hope you don't mind. if you hate it I will delete it from here to help keep your build clean. this just has some of the best sea shots I have ever seen and this song is over the top. I hope you watch it once before I delete it.

Mountain Live Nantucket Sleighride (11 min 39 sec)
Pond Sailer is offline Find More Posts by Pond Sailer
Old Dec 02, 2012, 07:37 AM
Joined Nov 2010
257 Posts
Week 14: Forecastle rail

Forecastle rail. The plan is to make the forecastle out of two parts: a permanent railing and a semi-removable deck. We'll see if this proves plausible or not.

The forecastle rails were made by wood-gluing three 1/16 inch basswood sheets together (clamped along the bow to get the right curve). This layering technique makes a surprisingly stout structure. I took an extra bulwark piece from my Beagle build and smacked it hard on various surfaces to confirm this.

Next I inserted four pins into the bottom of each piece and epoxied them flush with the hull. Then I made an extension of the flat front of the bow and, after some fun Dremel work, glued it between the rails with an opening at the bottom for the bowsprit.

Finally, I glued on a 3/16 inch poplar dowel for the forecastle's handrail. Not a perfect job, but we'll call it good enough for fun.

Next to be done: forecastle deck with planking, knightheads, timber heads and swivel gun mounts.

3rd Naming. Time for a little shout out to my nieces. Introducing Powder Monkey Anna (left) and Cabin Girl Sara (right) . Wonder if I should make a pair of tiny life preservers just in case.
Old Dec 08, 2012, 07:48 AM
Joined Nov 2010
257 Posts
Question. Well, more a brainstorm request. I'm thinking my swivel guns will at some point get struck, so should probably be made somehow flexible. My plan was to mount the first four on posts sitting behind my forecastle rail, two on each side. Any brainstorming ideas of how to make this somehow flexible to resist an impact?
Last edited by Jpop Andrew; Dec 08, 2012 at 04:58 PM.
Old Dec 08, 2012, 08:34 AM
United States, MN, Brainerd
Joined Oct 2004
2,377 Posts
make the metal post or the wood post out of a small spring.....
DanL is offline Find More Posts by DanL
Old Dec 14, 2012, 09:14 AM
Joined Nov 2010
257 Posts
As I finish up my forecastle build update I thought I'd share a new term I've come up with. After reading all the dire warnings by our veteran captains about the need to pin everything to the ship, here is how I mentally envision how secure everything must be:

Bump & Bucket Rule. A structure on a large model sailing ship must be able to withstand a bucket of water hurled at it again and again, while also getting bumped by something solid.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 01:02 PM
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Aug 2012
417 Posts
Hi Andrew

Well, not sure mine will withstand such a test.

Tim
TBowman is offline Find More Posts by TBowman
Old Dec 15, 2012, 07:31 AM
Joined Nov 2010
257 Posts
Week 16: Forecastle

Knightheads and timberheads. These were a bit painstaking to make. I used my trusty X-acto knife to cut a grove all the way around the wooden blocks, then slowly chiseled the sides down at an angle to the grove.

Next I screwed in some eyebolts into the sides of the four timberheads so they can do double duty by securing the bow chasers' gun tackle. In order to have enough space for my swivel gun positions I also omitted one timberhead per side.

These were all pinned and epoxied onto the fiberglass lip while also wood-gluing them to the inside of the forecastle rail. This should provide some additional structural support for the forecastle (that I'm sure will eventually crash into something).

Meanwhile I received my 38mm long cannons from Model Expo to make the one-pounder swivel guns: ten of them. Haven't quite decided how to make or attach the handle extension or how to mount it to the future swivel gun posts. I plan to have two on each side of the forecastle rails and three more spaced along each main rail.

Forecastle deck. The deck piece was made from 1/8 inch birch plywood and planked with 10mm basswood strips. I painted the edges of the planks black to try to get a little more highlight before gluing. The removable deck will sit flush with the lip and be secured by some yet-to-be-finalized screw with removable clasp.

I'm debating making either a stack of cannon balls or a square shot rack to sit between the two bow chasers. Btw, who knows the controversy over the phrase "freezing the balls off a brass monkey"?
Last edited by Jpop Andrew; Dec 15, 2012 at 08:23 AM.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 01:06 AM
Joined Mar 2012
166 Posts
IHmm, I know the story about freezing temperatures affecting metals differently and the steel balls and brass canon ball holder. But I did not know that there was controversy about that. Guess ill wait for your answer before searching it on net.

Fyi, I voted for your posts here but I am guessing we need a few more to vote before it will show the stars.

G
Old Dec 23, 2012, 10:34 PM
Joined Nov 2010
257 Posts
Week 17: Swivel guns

Swivel guns. These took some time to finish. Getting the ten 38mm long cannons from Model Expo to simulate one-pounder swivel guns was easy, if a little expensive at $3 each. The challenge was how to make and attach the handle and mounting structures that could survive the "bump & bucket rule": having a bucket of water hurled at it again and again, while also getting bumped by something solid.

I ended up using the wooden wheels the cannons came with for the side mounting pieces. A thick "cut tack" was then epoxied directly to the underside of the cannons to make the mounting base, which was sunk into a solid 1/4 inch oak dowel for the posts. After some experimenting and researching I decided to omit adding a handle for now, since I kind of like the way it looks as is.

The oak posts were then pinned and epoxied to the fiberglass lip while also being wood-glued to the inside of the rail. At some point I might also attach a thread between the cannon and deck as a backup in case the gun does get knocked off.

Eventually I'll add the other six swivels along the sides, probably on short posts directly on the main rail.
Old Jan 05, 2013, 05:34 PM
Joined Nov 2010
257 Posts
Week 19: Poop deck

Raising the poop deck. The sides and transom pieces were made by gluing together four 1/16 inch basswood sheets, clamped along the ship to get the right curves. These were pinned and epoxied to the fiberglass lip. Basswood strips were then bent and shaped onto the tops to form the planking outline for the deck.

I think the plan is to use pinned oak dowels to reinforce the structure from the back and provide a base for the removable deck to sit on. If there's enough room I might end up adding a curved top piece to the transom to restore the original elegant shape.

Poop decking. The actual poop deck was made from 1/8 inch birch plywood and planked with 10mm basswood strips. Like the forecastle, I painted the sides of the planks black to give a little more highlight.

The poop deck ended up being 8 3/4 inches long. I haven't decided if I'm going to place the front wall directly under the edge and cover the #10 gun port, or set it back an inch or two to create an overhang like the HMS Beagle had. Ah the fun of building before all plans are made.

Progress update. Now that it's been over six months since I ordered my brig kit and almost 20 weeks of build updates I guess now is a good time for pause to see how far the Theresa Marie has come.

My initial fast build rate has taken a six or seven week detour to add a larger forecastle, poop deck and some swivel guns. A few more weeks and I should be ready to get back to the spec build. ETA for first sail is still hopefully spring or summer of 2013.
Old Jan 07, 2013, 02:11 PM
Joined Nov 2010
257 Posts
Who has extra cannons?

Question. Did anyone who made their own cannons keep the supplied ones from the kit? The Theresa Marie is going to need 22 and the kit only comes with 18.
Old Jan 07, 2013, 02:37 PM
Joined Mar 2012
166 Posts
As for extra guns. I do not know for sure. When I bought Surprise I got a lot of box's with it of stuff. I have not looked inside a few of them. I will make the effort to see if it contains any guns. The model is using one side of guns from the kit now and I really have not looked at them to see what was used or how many. I'll let you know. To be clear, I do knot know if Surprise has the same or different guns from yours. Can you answer if the hull is the same for all three kits?

G
Last edited by Pond Sailer; Jan 07, 2013 at 05:14 PM.
Old Jan 07, 2013, 02:53 PM
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Aug 2012
417 Posts
Hi Andrew

Your welcome to a few of mine if you need. I only have two of the kit-supplied 6 pounders though. The rest are carronades.

regards
Tim
TBowman is offline Find More Posts by TBowman
Old Jan 07, 2013, 05:23 PM
United States, MN, Brainerd
Joined Oct 2004
2,377 Posts
Andrew,
All mine are long gone to experiments, modifications, etc.
DanL is offline Find More Posts by DanL