SilentHunter is offline Find More Posts by SilentHunter
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 29, 2012, 10:27 AM
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Aug 2012
414 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpop Andrew View Post
Which would be a faster setup and breakdown, having the lower masts and lower tops fixed in place or using the hinge system?
Was wondering the same thing. Thanks for asking the question.

Looking good Andrew! Keep up the great work

tim
TBowman is offline Find More Posts by TBowman
Old Oct 29, 2012, 01:08 PM
United States, CA, Castro Valley
Joined Mar 2012
166 Posts
I almost cant read your logs as fast your building the boat. I just had to echo what a nice build so far and will be reading with interest on how you take on the folding masts. This is what I am trying to modify myself to try and make setting up at the lake a little faster. Just a note. The very first time I got to the lake it took me 2 1/2 hours to get into the water. Yesterday it took about 1 1/4 hours. So maybe at this rate I will be able to rig it in 10 minuets in a few more outings.

Your doing great, remember to enjoy all this too, dont go to fast.

Gary
Pond Sailer is offline Find More Posts by Pond Sailer
Old Oct 29, 2012, 11:36 PM
United States, MN, Brainerd
Joined Oct 2004
2,373 Posts
"Which would be a faster setup and breakdown, having the lower masts and lower tops fixed in place or using the hinge system?"

Complicated question...
If at all possible, permanently rig the lower masts and leave them in position - no folding. Set up the topmasts to plug in, just as in the stock plans.
The complexity comes in the yard assembly and rigging. Using teh bare minimum of of only functionally necessary rigging, assembly is pretty quick. Start adding more prototypical rigging, and a lot of tricks need to be employed to keep the setup time anywhere near reasonable.
Some hints - wherever possible, use nautical knots for line attachment. Even at small scale, they have the desirable large scale properties of non-jamming, strength, adjustability, etc. Also use miniature scale hooks for quick attachment where it makes sense. Get/make custom tools for setup. A pair of long nosed tweezers is great to assemble standing and running rigging, etc etc. Color coded mini allen wrenches for tightening collars, keel rod bolts, etc speed things up too.
I think I wrote up something on making quick assembly rigging that looks somewhat prototypical. I'll see if I can find it.
DanL is offline Find More Posts by DanL
Old Oct 30, 2012, 10:14 AM
Joined Oct 2004
2,373 Posts
A couple of bits of info on quick rigging set-up that maintains a bit of prototypical look:
Old Oct 30, 2012, 12:51 PM
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Nov 2010
257 Posts
Thanks for the info Dan. Btw, what material did you use for your forecastle rail?
Jpop Andrew is offline Find More Posts by Jpop Andrew
Old Oct 31, 2012, 08:05 AM
Joined Nov 2010
257 Posts
Happy Halloween from the haunted shipyard of the Theresa Marie.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 09:41 AM
Joined Oct 2004
2,373 Posts
"Btw, what material did you use for your forecastle rail?"

I used composite plastic trim moulding. It's foamed plastic, cuts/sands easily, bends, lightweight, waterproof and glues with plastic glue.
Avaialable at home supply stores.

Specific products I use often for modeling are from the attached LP Building Products catalog, under the Crystal White section:

#4888 Stop,
#4267 Lattice
#4142 Screen Stop

Note: do not use any of the MDF products - they will "dissolve" when wet......
Old Oct 31, 2012, 07:25 PM
Joined Oct 2012
9 Posts
hi,i have been following some of your blogs with great interest.I am new to the hobby but very interested in rc salboats.I am12,so i do not have much eperiance but I was wondering where you get those great ship kits?
motts is offline Find More Posts by motts
Old Nov 01, 2012, 10:54 AM
Joined Nov 2010
257 Posts
Hi motts. The kits are made by a company called Steel, Chapman & Hutchinson Ltd out in California, run by a chap named Philip Roberts. I remember when I was about 12 researching rc models at the local library and dreaming how cool it would be to build and sail a big square sail rc ship. But the ship I wanted to do would have been just too expensive. 34 years later...
Old Nov 03, 2012, 06:48 PM
Joined Oct 2012
9 Posts
thankyou,I checked there and I dont think i have enough cash well hope and dream hope and dreamhey ,if any of you guys are willing to sell...
Old Nov 03, 2012, 06:50 PM
Joined Oct 2012
9 Posts
well nice ships i really like the impressive size of the theresa marie.
Old Nov 03, 2012, 09:23 PM
United States, CA, Castro Valley
Joined Mar 2012
166 Posts
Motts, thank you for your interest in these boats. Can I offer you a suggestion. it seems like you have a real interest in sailing rc boats. have you sailed any rc boats? I ask this question because even we enjoy sailing rc boats besides these models and there are many boats that are fun and maybe even more challenging.

I am sure that the folks you have seen here on this forum got started with different sailboats. I can speak only for myself, but I have two other sailboats. and about five power boats. they are all a lot of fun to run as well.

I did not look to see where you live, and this will be an example. here in San Francisco we have a club of folks who all love boating. I can not really tell you how many different boats all the club members have. but its in the hundreds.

if you like big sailboats we have a few that are worth looking into. you can search for these on the net to see photos and such.

a real sports car of a sailboat is called an Odem. this is real popular and a group of folks will get together maybe once a week or month to sail with each other. let me tell you that this would be a great boat for you to look at for getting into the hobby and would be a boat you might keep for all the rest of your days as you may start collecting more.

I would also suggest if you want a bigger boat look at the Infinity 54 class sailboat. same thing here. you will find others who get together to sail these.

another that is bigger is called a Santa Barbara sailboat. these are competition type boats and offer a lot to those with experience.

about the biggest rc sailboat in our club house is called a Wheeler and you may need a truck to get this to a lake.

if you look for something like these they do not come from hobby shops, these are specially made boats and all of them are not toys. you may find these to be just what your looking for and maybe you could find the price range starting for a used boat around $800.00 and up.

trust me in that I say these are fun, but they are serious boats and not toys.

so ask around and see if you have any boat clubs in your area and go visit them a few times and see all the different types of boats to have fun with.

good luck and feel free to ask questions.

Gary
Pond Sailer is offline Find More Posts by Pond Sailer
Last edited by Pond Sailer; Nov 03, 2012 at 10:14 PM.
Old Nov 04, 2012, 07:40 AM
Joined Nov 2010
257 Posts
Week 10: Sirens, Scuppers, Figurehead

Mizzenmast siren song (aka progress interruptus). So now was the time to make the final decision if I was going to try to add a mizzenmast to the Theresa Marie or not, something I'd been pondering since before I ordered the kit. Many previous builders have considered converting the SC&H brig to a three masted ship like the HMS Snake or HMS Fly. For those who love these wooden sailing ships, the classic three masted look has a lot of appeal.

The main issue has always been that the deck hatch prevents you from repositioning the mainmast the full three inches or so farther forward that you need to make the sail plan balance. The additional mast also adds more complications (and weight) for the build and would add more strain to your servo (assuming you slave the mizzen to the main). And from what I understand these models DO NOT need any additional sail area to outpace your pursuit boat.

Another headache (for those without a six foot tall trailer) is that when you transport your ship you have another mast to install and rig at your sailing location. Given the lengthy setup time most owners admit to, that's probably no small detail.

But after realizing that our Ford Escape was actually tall enough for the lower masts to fit in without having to use the hinge system for transport, the siren song of the mizzenmast called out yet again.

So I spent a week seriously pondering the idea of extending the transom out a couple of inches, which might make the mast spacing ratio look more prototypical. With a reduced driver and more weight in the stern it might be possible to make the sail plan work with the main and foremast in their brig positions. I would also add some nice galleries to the lengthened sides, raise the poop deck height and add a rail, making the transom a much more prominent feature.

So the smooth speed of progress on the Theresa Marie was about to come to a crashing halt (psst don't tell Philip, it's probably bad for his blood pressure).

Fortunately, after some insightful advice from rc forum members and the many SC&H build logs, I was able (like Odysseus) to enjoy the sweet siren song, pass on through, and shake it off.

Looking at all the beautiful SC&H brig models, as well as sailing pictures from the full size Lady Washington, Lady Nelson, Niagara, La Grace and Pilgrim convinced me that the visually compelling thing about these sailing ships really is the tall masts with their billowing sails and flags and the long wooden hulls underneath. So a proper two masted brig she will be. Ok, back to the progress.

Scuppers! First I decided that I just didn't care if the scupper holes lined up perfectly or not. Then I took a wooden dowel and held it at an angle against the hull where I wanted the hole to come out. Next I lined up my smallest drill bit against the waterway, eyeballed the two lines so they matched, and drilled as straight as I could. Seemed to work pretty well.

I gradually opened the holes using eight different sized bits until they reached the needed 1/4 inch diameter for the fiberglass tubes. It was pretty fun drilling and took less than an hour. Happy times.

I cut the fiberglass tubes and glued them in place using the KwikWeld epoxy, then filed them flush with the hull and waterways. Finally, out came the latex gloves to apply lots of epoxy around the tubes inside the hull to assure waterproofing and strength. And we have scuppers!

Figurehead. After ordering the brig kit back in June the next step I took was to buy a Japanese-style Netsuke boxwood carving of a mermaid for my future figurehead. Five months later it was finally time to install it. I fashioned a support base from some PVC trim board, drilled holes for seven brass pins and used KwikWeld epoxy to attach the stemhead, support and figurehead all together.
Old Nov 04, 2012, 08:19 AM
Joined Oct 2004
2,373 Posts
"Finally, out came the latex gloves to apply lots of epoxy around the tubes inside the hull to assure waterproofing and strength."

Good decision to go w/ the two mast rig. Great progress...sealing the scuppers inside the hull was a very good step.