HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 01, 2012, 05:04 AM
Joined Aug 2012
100 Posts
Help!
Wiring help for ESC to Motor and Receiver to Board (with pictures)

Hi everyone,
I have a couple of quick questions for the experts. I'm ready to solder my Turnigy Plush 25A ESCs to my hexTronik DT700 motors, but I'm not sure which wires to solder together.

I've looked through the ESC manual sheet but can't determine which "A" "B" or "C" wires are the positive, negative or ground wires. Unfortunately the motors didn't come with any manuals, so I can't identify the red, white or black wires.

I also have a cheap receiver that I'll be using until I can afford a good one, but it doesn't have any connecting wires that I can hook up to the KK 2.0 control board. Would any old wire do? I'm a bit confused where I'll be drawing power for the receiver from as well.

Any help you can provide will be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much for your time, I love these forums!
AeroRoo is offline Find More Posts by AeroRoo
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 01, 2012, 08:02 AM
Joined Jul 2012
11 Posts
It is three phase so there is no 'polarity' in the traditional sense of DC motors.
You just hook them up. If the motor spins in the wrong direction you swap the two outside wires.

Probably be best to twist them together to test the direction of rotation before soldering if you aren't using bullet connectors.

To hook the KK2 to the receiver you need male/male servo connectors. The power for the receiver comes from the BEC on the ESC along the red wire, unless you make other arrangements.
JackinFtLaud is offline Find More Posts by JackinFtLaud
Old Sep 01, 2012, 12:31 PM
Joined Aug 2012
100 Posts
Thanks Jack, although your info is a bit cryptic I appreciate the help. I'll look into this "3 phase" and try and purchase some servo cables from a hobby shop.

The power for the receiver, since my ESCs will connect directly to the control board, how would you suggest I provide power? Thanks very much for your expert help
Old Sep 04, 2012, 09:43 AM
Kingdom of Sweden, Blekinge County
Joined Aug 2010
90 Posts
Hi, the reciever is powered from the ESC via KK2 FC.
You need male to male servo cables to connect the
receiver with the FC.
I hope this vill help.
Gredeby is offline Find More Posts by Gredeby
Old Sep 04, 2012, 08:34 PM
Joined Aug 2012
100 Posts
Thank you very much, Gredeby!

I'm going to buy some servo cables from HobbyKing, but unfortunately the 10cm cables I require are out of stock. And local shops want to charge $8 per cable :|

Regarding the receiver's power: I have a KK2.0 board and I'm not sure where to hook it up to. Do you have any photos of your build showing this power and wiring hook up? I apologise but electronics are a weak point at the moment, and I hope to improve with helpful posts such as yours and JackinFtLaud's.

Thanks again both of you, I'll be sure to collate all the necessary information and edit my first post to help other hobby builders in my position.
Old Sep 05, 2012, 11:16 AM
Kingdom of Sweden, Blekinge County
Joined Aug 2010
90 Posts
Hi, some photos on the wiring. Regards
Gredeby is offline Find More Posts by Gredeby
Old Sep 05, 2012, 10:24 PM
Joined Aug 2012
100 Posts
Wow! Thanks so much, those photos are exactly what I need!

I thought I'd have to run a wire from the battery direct to the receiver, but I can see now what you mean about it being directly powered by the board.
You're awesome!
Old Sep 09, 2012, 10:06 PM
Joined Aug 2012
100 Posts
Hi guys, just regarding connecting my Turnigy Plush to DT750 motor in the original post, does anyone know which wires I should connect to the A B and C ports of my ESC from the motor?
Old Sep 10, 2012, 12:02 AM
Northwest Arkansas
Joined Sep 2008
617 Posts
Any order you want. It affects the rotation direction. If it turns the wrong way, just swap any two wires.
arkcom is offline Find More Posts by arkcom
Old Sep 10, 2012, 12:04 AM
Joined Aug 2012
100 Posts
Ahh, right no worries. What I think I will do is wire all 4 motors to my ESCs the same way, that way I will at least have a consistent pattern of rotation, and if they turn the wrong way on my quad I can simply change the props.

Thanks for the clarification
Old Sep 10, 2012, 12:05 AM
Northwest Arkansas
Joined Sep 2008
617 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroRoo View Post
Ahh, right no worries. What I think I will do is wire all 4 motors to my ESCs the same way, that way I will at least have a consistent pattern of rotation, and if they turn the wrong way on my quad I can simply change the props.

Thanks for the clarification
Don't do that. Two of them have to turn opposite directions.

Use bullet connectors. If you don't have any, I can set you up with those, too.
arkcom is offline Find More Posts by arkcom
Old Sep 10, 2012, 12:25 AM
Joined Aug 2012
100 Posts
I've got a lot of bullet connectors, but would prefer the peace of mind that comes with a direct solder connection.

Fair enough, I will wire 2 motors and ESCs one way and the other 2 the opposite way. Silly me, I thought rotation was controlled by the KK Board

I appreciate your inpout arkcom, thanks a lot for that.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 12:27 AM
we dont NEED roads!
United States, CA, Rocklin
Joined Aug 2012
3,429 Posts
Wiring the motors are easy.

for two motors do:
A - BLACK
B - WHITE
C - RED

for the other two motors do:
A - RED
B - WHITE
C - BLACK

Two will rotate in one direction, the other two will rotate the opposite direction. This is required for a quadcopter.

All 4 ESC's will be powered by the same Positive cable and same negative cable comming off your battery. These are the only wires that need to goto your battery.

The ESC's will supply 5v to your KK2 board. The KK2 board will send 5v to your Reciever.

The KK2 board has no idea, nor does it care what direction your motors spin. Just make sure your props are installed correctly and the KK board does the rest.
AcroFPV is offline Find More Posts by AcroFPV
Last edited by AcroFPV; Sep 11, 2012 at 12:36 AM.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 01:42 AM
we dont NEED roads!
United States, CA, Rocklin
Joined Aug 2012
3,429 Posts
also, you dont need those Male to Male connectors.

Check this thread out:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1783
AcroFPV is offline Find More Posts by AcroFPV
Old Sep 11, 2012, 06:33 AM
Member #1
Australia, NSW, Picnic Point
Joined Aug 2011
6,907 Posts
Try and find a friend close by that is flying quadcopters already, take your gear to him and have him help you with the set up. Its ok to be helped with your first build, just gain the skills necessary from the help of a friend, then build one later on by yourself.
My first quad was a very bare essentials quad that i bought ready to fly off a mate, the next quad i built is the one i have now which was a huge jump up to. I was flying a Hobbyking original KK board, with some motors i dont even know the name or Kv of!! The ESC's were all plush 18amp so ive moved them onto my current quad which is a DJI F450 with a Naza FC and GPS unit controlling some 3536 910kv motors and 10x4.7 carbon fibre props.

My mate at the moment is where you seem to be in the quad hobby, and i am helping him build his first so he gets the necessary info and know-how to build his next quad on his own. Its so much more satisfying flying something that you know you have built on your own, but only in due time. Its better to be coached through your first build than to be confused through it and end up either giving up or breaking stuff!!
Teamsherman is offline Find More Posts by Teamsherman