HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Oct 03, 2012, 05:10 AM
Registered User
gazza2003au's Avatar
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jul 2003
4,473 Posts
Quote:
random number generation.
wow imagine that just rolling a number off the top of your head and bingo instant cash surely it cant be that easy as u would probably need the 3 digit pin on the back of the card
gazza2003au is offline Find More Posts by gazza2003au
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 03, 2012, 06:43 AM
Intentionally left blank
Joined Aug 2005
925 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gazza2003au View Post
wow imagine that just rolling a number off the top of your head and bingo instant cash surely it cant be that easy as u would probably need the 3 digit pin on the back of the card
Beats me how one would also match names and expiry dates as well. I'm probably not devious enough to work it out.
Magrat is offline Find More Posts by Magrat
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 03, 2012, 09:59 AM
Merry xmas
KCV6's Avatar
Australia, SA, Edinburgh
Joined Aug 2009
5,769 Posts
I always use paypal these days and touch wood have not had any issues.

Mark
KCV6 is offline Find More Posts by KCV6
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 04, 2012, 04:35 AM
use the 4s luke, use the 4s...
scrub monkey's Avatar
Australia, QLD, Booyal
Joined Sep 2012
848 Posts
Some scams are that easy you could be in and out in 10 minutes and be $100 bucks richer. First one comest to mind is you have a friend ring up a shop/service station etc saying something along the lines of they bought a ring/necklace/bracelet etc for the wife and have lost it and offering a reward and leave a number. take a cheap fake in and ask if any body has lost it. The person will say yeah we have and they will probably ring them to say it has been found. Say you have to go to a meeting or something and say ill split the reward with you if you give this back to him when he comes in. The person gives you half the 'reward' and you walk out and nobody goes into claim it. Simple as that
scrub monkey is online now Find More Posts by scrub monkey
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 04, 2012, 05:27 AM
Registered User
gouch's Avatar
Lake Macquarie, Aust.
Joined Dec 2002
13,733 Posts
If you get done like that you deserve to!
gouch is offline Find More Posts by gouch
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 04, 2012, 05:34 AM
use the 4s luke, use the 4s...
scrub monkey's Avatar
Australia, QLD, Booyal
Joined Sep 2012
848 Posts
I reckon its the simple ones people get tricked by because they dont expect anyone to b that stupid to do it.
scrub monkey is online now Find More Posts by scrub monkey
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 04, 2012, 06:09 AM
Registered User
CaseySP's Avatar
Canberra Australia
Joined Feb 2007
1,386 Posts
The scary thing is there are dodgy Internet sites where you can buy a handful of CC and CCV numbers for $5 or so, with a normal shopping cart and checkout function to make it nice and easy. Also full of Paypal logons and passwords, Western Union and other funds transfer details. Your's may well be there.

The good thing is that there are so many numbers available that an individual's CC or PP account may never be targeted (the schooling fish defence), plus the credit card providers are usually on top of unusual or suspicious activity on your account. Not sure what Paypal etc do.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-06-2...-probe/4094638
CaseySP is offline Find More Posts by CaseySP
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: It flies
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 04, 2012, 06:16 AM
use the 4s luke, use the 4s...
scrub monkey's Avatar
Australia, QLD, Booyal
Joined Sep 2012
848 Posts
I heard somewhere that you can pay a black hatter in russia the equivalent of 50 cents each for the login details of a facebook login. Doubt bank details, pay pal details etc would be that much more.
scrub monkey is online now Find More Posts by scrub monkey
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 04, 2012, 03:49 PM
I ♥ OpenTX
H2SO4's Avatar
Australia, New South Wales, Sydney
Joined Jan 2011
2,663 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrub monkey View Post
I heard somewhere that you can pay a black hatter in russia the equivalent of 50 cents each for the login details of a facebook login. Doubt bank details, pay pal details etc would be that much more.
It would be relatively easy to discover a random set of FB logon credentials, given there are apparently one billion FB users. Some of them are bound to be doing silly things like posting their logon details online and what-have-you.

It would be incredibly difficult to work out a specific set of credentials, unless that person happens to be one of the ones doing silly things with their password. A haxx0r type who has worked out an undisclosed weakness in a widely used authentication mechanism would be able to monetise that information for far more than fifty cents a pop, thus making the story implausible.
H2SO4 is online now Find More Posts by H2SO4
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 04, 2012, 04:33 PM
use the 4s luke, use the 4s...
scrub monkey's Avatar
Australia, QLD, Booyal
Joined Sep 2012
848 Posts
I saw some one who posted something along the lines of 'comment your password and watch it magically turn into ***********' i wonder how many people have done it though
scrub monkey is online now Find More Posts by scrub monkey
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 04, 2012, 05:44 PM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Extreme_RC's Avatar
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,445 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrub monkey View Post
Some scams are that easy you could be in and out in 10 minutes and be $100 bucks richer. First one comest to mind is you have a friend ring up a shop/service station etc saying something along the lines of they bought a ring/necklace/bracelet etc for the wife and have lost it and offering a reward and leave a number. take a cheap fake in and ask if any body has lost it. The person will say yeah we have and they will probably ring them to say it has been found. Say you have to go to a meeting or something and say ill split the reward with you if you give this back to him when he comes in. The person gives you half the 'reward' and you walk out and nobody goes into claim it. Simple as that
Someones been watching too much Hustle
Extreme_RC is offline Find More Posts by Extreme_RC
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 04, 2012, 05:52 PM
use the 4s luke, use the 4s...
scrub monkey's Avatar
Australia, QLD, Booyal
Joined Sep 2012
848 Posts
Damn the secrets out.
scrub monkey is online now Find More Posts by scrub monkey
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 05, 2012, 05:52 AM
Gravity Sucks
Somewhere in the Nations Capital
Joined Sep 2007
51 Posts
Some "interesting" reading here regarding various scams going on out there... and no it's not a spoof site which will steal your details when you click on the link....
ResQ is offline Find More Posts by ResQ
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 05, 2012, 07:39 PM
Intentionally left blank
Joined Aug 2005
925 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseySP View Post
The scary thing is there are dodgy Internet sites where you can buy a handful of CC and CCV numbers for $5 or so, with a normal shopping cart and checkout function to make it nice and easy.
Use your CC to pay on checkout?
Magrat is offline Find More Posts by Magrat
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 05, 2012, 09:55 PM
Is my CG correct?
discostu956's Avatar
Wollongong, Aus
Joined Sep 2009
5,096 Posts
That was exactly my thought-oh the irony!
discostu956 is offline Find More Posts by discostu956
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Easytigermodels - Internet fraud Sites Vendor Talk 52 Sep 10, 2012 01:56 PM
Alert a chinese seller is making frauds selling blimps peph3 Blimps 1 Mar 07, 2012 03:09 PM
Discussion Internet Fraud - Stolen Credit Card Alert Stevens AeroModel Vendor Talk 3 Aug 14, 2010 09:18 PM
Help! A call to arms against internet fraud kawika1kalina Trader Talk 13 Aug 13, 2007 08:14 AM
Alert You guys aware of this Internet fraud site? gouda Trader Talk 2 Jun 29, 2006 04:18 PM