HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 03, 2012, 08:08 AM
Joined Nov 2004
1,233 Posts
I try not to use my credit card directly in websites often the technology uses email services that can lead to information not only accessible to the vendor but to email service providers.
AUSELECTRIC is offline Find More Posts by AUSELECTRIC
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 03, 2012, 09:53 AM
Member #1
Australia, NSW, Picnic Point
Joined Aug 2011
6,906 Posts
Im using nothing but PayPal, but still managed to get skimmed last week, first skim was ten cents, then second was 10 cents again, the bank saw what was happening (and i rang them 2 weeks prior to tell them i was back in Aus again after being in Europe) that the tiny attempts were coming from Canada, the 3rd attempt was $998 or so but didnt get approved.

Only place ive ever dealt with from Canada has be Truerc.net but i used paypal for that too. I use paypal for everything ordered online! Geez, i'd use it at shops if i could!!!
Teamsherman is offline Find More Posts by Teamsherman
Old Sep 03, 2012, 05:22 PM
The Mantis is on its way
Australia, VIC, Rowville
Joined Jan 2012
630 Posts
I seem to be on the other end of the scale. I use mine all the time. Have done for years. The only hiccup I have had was a company double dipped but refunded it immediately (well as immediately as the banks allow). They were very apologetic and I believe it was an honest mistake.

Having said that I make sure that I only use my card with reputable companies and also ones that use PROPER SSL encryption.
windoze killa is offline Find More Posts by windoze killa
Old Sep 03, 2012, 06:22 PM
Joined Nov 2004
1,233 Posts
The use of SSL only encrypts the transfer of data between you and the site. If the site then sends an email to the vendor your credit card information is then on an email server that is managed by a 3rd party. Although it is unlikely that this will cause any drama it does add to the risk that your information could be taken.

Best advice is to use a separate credit card just for Internet purchases with a low balance.
AUSELECTRIC is offline Find More Posts by AUSELECTRIC
Old Sep 03, 2012, 06:29 PM
Not a Doctor
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Aug 2006
6,930 Posts
It's not just the net.
Skimming devices placed on eftpos terminals are pretty common and have you ever caught one of those lowlifes going through your paper bin? I have busted them 5 times now.
All our stuff goes into the document destruction bins at work.
me_wantee is offline Find More Posts by me_wantee
Old Sep 03, 2012, 06:36 PM
The Mantis is on its way
Australia, VIC, Rowville
Joined Jan 2012
630 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AUSELECTRIC View Post
The use of SSL only encrypts the transfer of data between you and the site. If the site then sends an email to the vendor your credit card information is then on an email server that is managed by a 3rd party. Although it is unlikely that this will cause any drama it does add to the risk that your information could be taken.

Best advice is to use a separate credit card just for Internet purchases with a low balance.
A separate card with a low balance?????? You obviously haven't seen my statement.
Old Sep 03, 2012, 06:38 PM
The Mantis is on its way
Australia, VIC, Rowville
Joined Jan 2012
630 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by me_wantee View Post
It's not just the net.
Skimming devices placed on eftpos terminals are pretty common and have you ever caught one of those lowlifes going through your paper bin? I have busted them 5 times now.
All our stuff goes into the document destruction bins at work.
Correct. I am more worried about skimmers than internet scammers. I have actually seen one of those skimmers on an ATM. I reported it to the cops and I believe they got caught removing it a few days later.
Old Sep 03, 2012, 07:10 PM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,760 Posts
I been using my cards for mailorder & online overseas purchases for almost 20 yrs now, only time I ever got CC fraud was when my card was skimmed in a hotel in Malaysia many years ago.
Extreme_RC is offline Find More Posts by Extreme_RC
Old Sep 03, 2012, 09:17 PM
Australia, QLD, Booyal
Joined Aug 2011
985 Posts
Use one of those new eftpos type cards that the post office is doing now. It is a prepaid one. I dont have one but i reckon they would work well for on line frauds and even skimmers. Just put enough on it for the purchse.
scrubmonkey is offline Find More Posts by scrubmonkey
Old Sep 25, 2012, 04:49 AM
Inverted tail dragger
Australia, WA, Kalamunda
Joined Jan 2008
614 Posts
Tha tcard thing sounds good ,anyway I think I'll use paypal from now on.
Also I finaly got my money be,the only drama was that we had to wait a coupler week's.
Lesson learn't....
1st timer is offline Find More Posts by 1st timer
Old Sep 25, 2012, 04:51 AM
Inverted tail dragger
Australia, WA, Kalamunda
Joined Jan 2008
614 Posts
Also I think I'm going to close the thread as it's been very quiet of late
Old Sep 25, 2012, 05:38 AM
Is my CG correct?
Wollongong, Aus
Joined Sep 2009
5,096 Posts
Good to hear you got your money back.

Why close the thread? Its alright to leave open isn't it
discostu956 is offline Find More Posts by discostu956
Old Sep 25, 2012, 08:18 PM
Inverted tail dragger
Australia, WA, Kalamunda
Joined Jan 2008
614 Posts
Yeah I spose don't know,
I thought seening the topic had deaded off kill the thread
Old Oct 02, 2012, 03:51 PM
Joined Dec 2008
3,379 Posts
Get your money back?
cody069 is online now Find More Posts by cody069
Old Oct 03, 2012, 06:07 AM
Intentionally left blank
Joined Aug 2005
925 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st timer View Post
well the thing is I only use my card for HK only,was is over the internet,this is the only time I use the internet for buying,all the rest is cash at the Lhs's. I'm abit old fashion like that,money goes in and the next day I go to the bank an get it out,the wife has separate account and the last time I used my card over the internet it was with Hobby King.
And for everyones reference I've been in contact with them,and they are cool with the situation,there words were "we appreciate the valuable information"
Three weeks ago my card got hit 4 times in one day, three bookings to a concert in Germany and a hotel booking in Canada. VISA picked it up same day and gave me a call.

Asked nice VISA lady how my card may have been compromised and she said, scanner, hacked site, company employee or just random number generation.
Magrat is offline Find More Posts by Magrat