SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 10, 2013, 07:51 PM
United States, CO, Castle Rock
Joined Dec 2009
139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt599 View Post
Nice to see it in flight, looks like it flies great, it does sound windy, flying season is just around the corner though Im ashamed to say that I have yet to maiden my 50mm I hope mine flies as well as yours. Greg
Glad to hear from you! Post some updated pics when you get a chance! I cant wait for the warmer mornings as well. For us here in Colorado, the spring always brings horrid winds. But once we get through that its great.

After my brown out issue I barely had the stomach to repair this. I stared at it in my shop for about 3 weeks until I got motivated. I'm glad I did. I need to touch up the fracture lines better.... (touch up paint). It looks ugly up close and I need to redo the nose. Oh well.... Fun and super easy to fly

The crazy thing with this plane, even with its large wingspan I can keep it within the perimeter of the field you see on the video at 1/2 throttle... So it turns real tight and has does not have an issue with sudden stalls
bamiller is offline Find More Posts by bamiller
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 01, 2013, 08:47 AM
United States, CO, Castle Rock
Joined Dec 2009
139 Posts
Steerable Retract?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt599 View Post
Congratulations on your maiden, sounds like it went great. HobbyPartz does carry those retracts, I have a set and they where not very expensive and seem to work well. Just FYI they now sell the steerable nose wheel version with 3mm wire strut. They are made by Dynam/Detrum I just recieved the steerable one. If you do not get the new steerable one you have to do some engineering to install a strut and get it to steer and its kind of a hassle (dont ask me how I know) Greg
Hey Greg, can you share how you made your nose electric retract steerable? I totally forgot to look for a steerable retract when I pulled the trigger on a set. (Impulse buy at the register.... wasnt thinking) So now I have to convert one standard retract to a steerable one.
bamiller is offline Find More Posts by bamiller
Last edited by bamiller; Mar 01, 2013 at 08:51 AM. Reason: Changing title
Old Mar 03, 2013, 10:13 AM
United States, WA, Shelton
Joined Feb 2012
695 Posts
Brent, I ground a groove around the 3mm strut wire where the set screws go that attach the strut to the retract. Place the set screws so they ride in the groove, tight enough to hold the strut in but loose enough to let the strut pivot. then attach your pivot and steering arm to the strut. The groove must be smooth. It takes some adjusting to work. I ended up ordering the steerable one from Dynam/Detrum. The modified set up worked but had a tendancy to bind on steering. Greg
Lt599 is online now Find More Posts by Lt599