SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 14, 2012, 07:09 AM
Crystal River Fl.
Joined Jul 2008
3,681 Posts
Greg, I'd go with the Clark Y,, very dependable, easy... Put in tip washout.

Brent, your welcome, glad it is working well for you. w
Waltjg is offline Find More Posts by Waltjg
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 14, 2012, 12:15 PM
United States, WA, Shelton
Joined Feb 2012
674 Posts
Brent, I bet sanding off all the latex was a ! I am looking forward to seeing some more pics, you Warthog is turning out great! Thanks for the input. I went with the Clark Y, hot wired them last night. Walt, I put in 3 degrees of washout at the tips. Thanks, Greg
Lt599 is online now Find More Posts by Lt599
Old Sep 14, 2012, 04:18 PM
United States, CO, Castle Rock
Joined Dec 2009
139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt599 View Post
Brent, I bet sanding off all the latex was a ! I am looking forward to seeing some more pics, you Warthog is turning out great! Thanks for the input. I went with the Clark Y, hot wired them last night. Walt, I put in 3 degrees of washout at the tips. Thanks, Greg
Excellent... what type of foam are you using?
bamiller is offline Find More Posts by bamiller
Old Sep 14, 2012, 09:20 PM
Joined Feb 2012
674 Posts
For the wing cores I used 2" pink home depot.(Lowes was out of 2" blue) I will use the Dow 1/2" blue for the rest and Dow FFF if needed. I had some problems with my hot wire bow. It is home made and I have only used it a couple of times. I had problems with breaking the wire, I may need to recut one of the cores, not real happy with the way it turned out. I think I will skin the wings with 1/16th" balsa then cover with 1 layer of .75 FG cloth and epoxy. I am not sure on the rest of the plane, I plan as I go most of the time Hows the paint comming? are you going with the servoless retracts?
Old Sep 14, 2012, 11:22 PM
Joined Dec 2009
139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt599 View Post
For the wing cores I used 2" pink home depot.(Lowes was out of 2" blue) I will use the Dow 1/2" blue for the rest and Dow FFF if needed. I had some problems with my hot wire bow. It is home made and I have only used it a couple of times. I had problems with breaking the wire, I may need to recut one of the cores, not real happy with the way it turned out. I think I will skin the wings with 1/16th" balsa then cover with 1 layer of .75 FG cloth and epoxy. I am not sure on the rest of the plane, I plan as I go most of the time Hows the paint comming? are you going with the servoless retracts?
I always hate when I bugger up a wing. This one had its share of wire burns. I use a table method for cutting the cores that seems to work pretty good. I started using stainless steel wire that prevented a breaks for me.

I plan as I go also. So I become horrible with documenting steps. Paint is going "ok". I still don't like the color. I tried a spray primer tonight because I want to take it out in the AM. Since I just re-sanded the whole darn thing, I prefer making one change at a time, fly it, move to the next step, etc... You can see the other parts aren't painted because there is still work to be done there. So lots of other things need to be fixed up

I will vacuum form a canopy later on and get rid of the goofy one I have now. Its not rounded enough and is too square. So I have to try to not look at the hatch area. (frustrates me but good enough for test flights and some quick fun)

This weekend I will work more on it. Maybe do things like the pave pod, fins, etc... I still need to do the wing fillets and figure out how I want to put in panel lines to add detail.

I haven't gotten around to ordering the retracts yet. I'm hoping some other things will come in stock so I can make a bundle order. So for now the goofy fixed gear will have to do.

Just curious if you have a method to create the fillets? If so please share. My current method is time consuming and involves lots of sanding.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 01:25 AM
Joined Feb 2012
674 Posts
Starting to look smooth I need to build a table top hot wire, is yours gravity ran? For the fillets I would use strips of 1/64th ply cut to the width you want and epoxy them to the wing saddle following the curve of the upper wing surface leaving an "edge" exposed along either side of the fuse on top of the wing. Then use epoxy and micro balloons to fill and shape the fillet. Cover the top of the wing with wax paper and have it installed. This will hold the ply in place and when dry you can do the filling. When the fill is dry remove the wing and take the wax paper off. You should be left with a nice fit and strong fillets. The wax paper will protect the wing and the epoxy wont stick to it. If you want the fillets bigger you could use foam for the primary shape (so you do not have to use so much filler) then cover with the epoxy mix. Just some ideas, if I made any sense at all
Old Sep 15, 2012, 10:09 AM
Joined Dec 2009
139 Posts
I don't cut with a gravity device. I fix one end of the wire on a raised bolt on one end of the table. Then I level the wire with the top of the foam which is cut to the shape of the wing I am going to use. On the root end I tac on the airfoil. There are some tricks to be sure the wire near at the tip chord doesn't fall off the trailing or leading edge before the wire falls off the leading/trailing edges of the root. I can show a video sometime if you want because its tricky but makes an excellent wing.

I'll tinker as time allows this weekend. I took it out this AM to check the balance. Still flew pretty good and I went through 4 batteries about 3.5 mins each. Its hard to judge how fast it is because of the size. Once airborn I can still cruise around about 1/2 throttle. It could use more power (bigger fans and a 14v) but it can still pull a "tight" loop. I did an inverted flight check to feel that out. Seemed ok. The clark y cant be beat. Takes off at a gentle float still. I'm flying off from astro turf so I imagine if I had a concrete runway my take offs would be shorter. Lands super gentle and hardly needs any flair.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 01:53 PM
Johannesburg, South Africa
Joined Apr 2006
471 Posts
Wow.... looking really slick BA. Its going to make a huge difference with retracts.
darook is offline Find More Posts by darook
Old Sep 15, 2012, 06:26 PM
Crystal River Fl.
Joined Jul 2008
3,681 Posts
Brent, looks really good! Nice andw smoooooothhh w
Waltjg is offline Find More Posts by Waltjg
Old Sep 15, 2012, 10:11 PM
Joined Feb 2012
674 Posts
I have seen that type of cutting before, never tried it..looks tricky. Would like to see a video with explanations. I went shopping today and picked up some items to build myself a new bow. I got some nichrome wire and a new transformer. I think my problem with the first one I built was a combination of the power supply and the wire I have been trying to use. I looked at the feathercut set ups, boy those are nice and they are sure PROUD of them about 400.00 to get set up. I think I will stick to building my own hot wire tools I do have a Proxon table top "saw" that works great, but you cant cut cores with it. Your Hog is looking great, thats smart to test fly as you go. I need to take lessons from that Greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamiller View Post
I don't cut with a gravity device. I fix one end of the wire on a raised bolt on one end of the table. Then I level the wire with the top of the foam which is cut to the shape of the wing I am going to use. On the root end I tac on the airfoil. There are some tricks to be sure the wire near at the tip chord doesn't fall off the trailing or leading edge before the wire falls off the leading/trailing edges of the root. I can show a video sometime if you want because its tricky but makes an excellent wing.

I'll tinker as time allows this weekend. I took it out this AM to check the balance. Still flew pretty good and I went through 4 batteries about 3.5 mins each. Its hard to judge how fast it is because of the size. Once airborn I can still cruise around about 1/2 throttle. It could use more power (bigger fans and a 14v) but it can still pull a "tight" loop. I did an inverted flight check to feel that out. Seemed ok. The clark y cant be beat. Takes off at a gentle float still. I'm flying off from astro turf so I imagine if I had a concrete runway my take offs would be shorter. Lands super gentle and hardly needs any flair.
Old Sep 16, 2012, 10:55 PM
Joined Dec 2009
139 Posts
When I get off my rear I can post a video of it. I'll also add one of how I cut my nacelles. Pretty slick.

I think someday I will build my own 4 axis cutter. Maybe a good winter project.

I remade a canopy plug last night, played with some paint again. Looks much better with this canopy. I flew it this AM for about 45 mins. I've only been able to go out real early so there is nobody around to help me film. My kids aren't up that early either to even think about helping.

But other than that, no time this weekend to work on the fillets, gun, missiles, plastic canopy..... I have to fly out of town all week so I'll be on hold until I get back.

I saw one of your flight vids on another post. For that canopy (Its your delta wing), did you form that or purchase it?
Old Sep 17, 2012, 04:09 AM
Joined Feb 2012
674 Posts
I purchased it. One of our LHS carries them in multiple sizes, they are bubble canopies made by Sig. They always have them in stock and they are fairly cheap. I have some plastic sheeting but I need to build a vac. box, got that on my list too
Old Oct 02, 2012, 11:48 AM
Joined Feb 2012
674 Posts
Hows the finishing comming?
Old Oct 03, 2012, 10:39 AM
Capt. Z
Tonopah, Nevada
Joined Dec 2004
2,564 Posts
Great A-10, nice work.
falcon5 is offline Find More Posts by falcon5
Old Oct 06, 2012, 09:53 AM
Joined Dec 2009
139 Posts
Work has been super busy lately. I've stalled on making any progress over the past few weeks. We are starting to get rain and cold days here so this weekend I may tinker. Still fly's great however... :-)

I'll play with fillets and maybe the canopy this weekend