HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 07, 2012, 11:28 AM
United States, CO, Castle Rock
Joined Dec 2009
139 Posts
Success Flight

I smooth out the "squareness" later on. I did some sanding last night. I have "crude" maiden video that I will upload. Its poor video so please be gentle... There is only so much one can do with an iPhone propped up on a bag at the field.

I went out there this AM about 7:30 before taking the kids to school :-) Nooo one was around and absolutely no breeze at all.

Take off was nice and gentle. It flew great and barely needed up elevator to lift off. It flies straight as an arrow with only 2 up clicks needed on trim. I couldn't believe it. It can also totally fly with no hands on stick... just goes where you point it.

I did a few circles and then did a couple low passes so I could get feel of how much runway I would need. It floats like a feather and the landing was super simple. I could use some flaps so I will get to that. I played it real cautious and kept flight times low, landed, then checked things out. I went ahead and went through 3 batteries and easily flew it around at 1/2 throttle without dropping altitude.

On the 3rd flight I did a few rolls and a couple of loops. Its not powerful enough to go directly vertical. But that's fine by me. I can always upgrade the power or fan units. It also wasn't as loud as I thought it would be.

Cutting the throttle showed good stability on CG and it nosed down gently. Now I will clean things up, improve the air vents, hide some linkages, fix the ugly canopy, add weapon pods, and continue sanding and painting.
bamiller is offline Find More Posts by bamiller
Last edited by bamiller; Sep 07, 2012 at 01:17 PM. Reason: spelling....
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 07, 2012, 01:17 PM
Joined Jun 2009
406 Posts
Very nice.
Waiting for the video .
flylowfast is offline Find More Posts by flylowfast
Old Sep 07, 2012, 01:23 PM
Joined Dec 2009
139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flylowfast View Post
Very nice.
Waiting for the video .
Will do! Any suggestions where to pick up good / light retracts?
Old Sep 07, 2012, 02:40 PM
Johannesburg, South Africa
Joined Apr 2006
472 Posts
Retracts will really finish this build off.... what about these, too heavy?

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...stem_1pc_.html
darook is offline Find More Posts by darook
Old Sep 07, 2012, 02:57 PM
Joined Dec 2009
139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by darook View Post
Retracts will really finish this build off.... what about these, too heavy?

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...stem_1pc_.html
Hey thanks d! I don't see why these wouldn't work. They cant be any heavier than the additional weight my plywood braces take up.

I'm definitely keeping these in mind. I may browse hobbypartz for the same product since shipping is so much faster.
Old Sep 07, 2012, 09:48 PM
Crystal River Fl.
Joined Jul 2008
3,681 Posts
B, congrats on your successful maiden! Your plane is looking good, post the vid when you get it ready. W
Waltjg is offline Find More Posts by Waltjg
Old Sep 07, 2012, 10:56 PM
United States, WA, Shelton
Joined Feb 2012
688 Posts
Congratulations on your maiden, sounds like it went great. HobbyPartz does carry those retracts, I have a set and they where not very expensive and seem to work well. Just FYI they now sell the steerable nose wheel version with 3mm wire strut. They are made by Dynam/Detrum I just recieved the steerable one. If you do not get the new steerable one you have to do some engineering to install a strut and get it to steer and its kind of a hassle (dont ask me how I know) Greg
Lt599 is offline Find More Posts by Lt599
Old Sep 07, 2012, 10:59 PM
Joined Dec 2009
139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt599 View Post
Congratulations on your maiden, sounds like it went great. HobbyPartz does carry those retracts, I have a set and they where not very expensive and seem to work well. Just FYI they now sell the steerable nose wheel version with 3mm wire strut. They are made by Dynam/Detrum I just recieved the steerable one. If you do not get the new steerable one you have to do some engineering to install a strut and get it to steer and its kind of a hassle (dont ask me how I know) Greg
Hey thanks for the good notes! Do you know how heavy they are?
Old Sep 07, 2012, 11:11 PM
Joined Dec 2009
139 Posts
More Sanding and Test Paint Color

Hey gents, here are a few more pics. I spent tonight taking everything apart and sanding off lws/water putty and shaping the corners a bit more.

I forget how crazy the sanding is and how long it takes to get out the imperfections. Just when you think its done I find so much left to do. For me at least its relaxing.

I played around with some grey paint tonight. I'll probably sand it off but I wanted "some" color for my second test flight tomorrow AM. I really need to watch the weight so I am being crazy cautious. I may put some yellow on the vertical stab tips. Its crude but I just need some color to sit back, stare at it, and make some decisions. So be gentle.... If anyone has paint advice please pass it along.

I wish I would have made it 5 inches longer to make it 5ft even for the ws. Oh well, next one. I still need to make the wing fillets, cannon, missiles, ....

Now I remember why I test fly before I go too crazy.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 12:13 AM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Aug 2010
255 Posts
It looks awesome. I always love the A-10 airframe. Will you be posting some flight video? What do you think the static thrust is of your power setup? Also what is the AUW (weight)?
vicentel is offline Find More Posts by vicentel
Old Sep 10, 2012, 08:47 AM
Joined Feb 2012
688 Posts
It's looking really good! Fill and sand ,fill and sand...gotta love it It has inspired me to start my A10 build. I have been working on the plans. I have 2 of the Derum 70mm EDF,s I plan on using. I weighed the retracts from Hobbypartz. The 3 retract units with the steerable nose strut, no main struts weigh 3.9oz. Here is a pic for you. Greg
Old Sep 10, 2012, 12:41 PM
Joined Dec 2009
139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicentel View Post
It looks awesome. I always love the A-10 airframe. Will you be posting some flight video? What do you think the static thrust is of your power setup? Also what is the AUW (weight)?
Hi and thanks!

I will post a video. I have a short video from the maiden I was going to post. The problem is that both trips to the field nobody has been there to help me capture it. So I had to prop up my video camera which just doesn't capture it right. I can show a short take off video but its so dang boring and hard to see once it gets to the end of the field. Nonetheless I will upload it this week and edit it as much as possible.

I haven't been able to measure static thrust and my scale bit the dust last year. So I don't officially know the AUW. I am thinking its a bit under 2 lbs loaded up. But that's just a guess.

I'm wondering if my motors can take a 4s. Which I think they can. (I'll post those later... ) But the 64mm fans on a 11.1v 30c seem to be decent. Its not a vertical screamer (which I kinda prefer) but yet doesn't have any trouble taking off or doing a gentle loop. I'm really impressed with just how slow it will fly at 1/2 throttle. Milking the throttle I've achieved close to 4 min flights based off my timer. Probably pushing it a little but it doesn't seem to be over draining the batteries.

It does seem to "not" want to come down so I am thinking flaps or using flaperons for now. Its just at this stage I'm keeping it very simple. I'm planning on cutting another fuse and wing this fall and scaling it to an even 5 or 6 ft and beef up the power system.

I'll try to collect this data for you.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 12:54 PM
Joined Dec 2009
139 Posts
Quote:
It's looking really good! Fill and sand ,fill and sand...gotta love it It has inspired me to start my A10 build. I have been working on the plans. I have 2 of the Derum 70mm EDF,s I plan on using. I weighed the retracts from Hobbypartz. The 3 retract units with the steerable nose strut, no main struts weigh 3.9oz. Here is a pic for you. Greg
Hi Greg! Oh man, talk about sanding. I applied some light latex primer on Sat night. Definitely added weight but she still flew ok on Sunday AM. I wasn't happy with it so last night I completely sanded all paint off the fuselage and started on the wing again. I swear I'll be sanding in my sleep. Lesson learned I guess.

Thanks a million for the data on the retracts. I have some of those fan units you mentioned. I seem to have a lot of problems with them. (If they are the same blue ones you have). My issues were a lot of imbalance and they seemed to break easy compared to the other ones I was using. Definitely didn't hold up for me. But that was a few years ago. If you have the same behaviors let me know.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 06:11 AM
Joined Feb 2012
688 Posts
I have the ones with the 3000kv gold backed motors. I have had very good success with them. Right out of the box they where balanced well ( a guy could always fine tune them though) I have 2 others that I am running on 4 or 5s. 42 oz thrust on 4 and 50oz on 5, they really scream on 5s!!!, havnt burnt one up yet Have you tried a 50/50 mix of water based polyurathane and talc as a filler? It works great and leaves an incredibly smooth finish. Seals well, sands easy and provides a protective coating to the foam. It adds very little weight b
because you sand so much of it off. I look forward to some video. I am doing the plans right now for mine, cant wait to start building. Greg

What glue did you use on the Dow XPS, fuse and wings?
Last edited by Lt599; Sep 11, 2012 at 06:16 AM.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 12:15 PM
Joined Dec 2009
139 Posts
Quote:
I have the ones with the 3000kv gold backed motors. I have had very good success with them. Right out of the box they where balanced well ( a guy could always fine tune them though) I have 2 others that I am running on 4 or 5s. 42 oz thrust on 4 and 50oz on 5, they really scream on 5s!!!, havnt burnt one up yet Have you tried a 50/50 mix of water based polyurathane and talc as a filler? It works great and leaves an incredibly smooth finish. Seals well, sands easy and provides a protective coating to the foam. It adds very little weight b
because you sand so much of it off. I look forward to some video. I am doing the plans right now for mine, cant wait to start building. Greg

What glue did you use on the Dow XPS, fuse and wings?
Hey thanks again for the info Greg. Ok, those aren't the same fans i was referring to. I just checked. I'm going to go scope out the ones you are talking about. Did you buy those from hobbypartz by chance? I'm wondering if these motors could take a 4s. I think they can but am just curious... I may need to up my esc if 40 amps isn't enough for a 4s. http://www.hobbypartz.com/75m91-ducted-2015-4000.html

I haven't done a wbpu and talc mix. I definitely want to try that now. Is it a better/more solid cover than lws and water putty? Your solution sounds much much better. Whats the mix ratio of talc and wbpu?

As for glue, for areas where I don't need strength I use either hot glue or a basic wood glue. But for joints and securing things permanently I use the 5 min 2 part epoxy from Home Depot. I buy the big bottles for about $15 and it lasts forever vs. buying the small 2 part tubes. I love this stuff and I even coat small pieces of basswood or balsa wood for a solid surface. Its great stuff and holds screws excellent. The only problem is it doesn't sand well unless I use a dremel with a sand bit to remove. But the strength is awesome and I never have a weight issue.

Pass whatever knowledge you have on the wbpu and talc mix. I did more sanding last night.. "sigh" and am just wanting to do some painting. I think I may just dilute my latex paint with some water.