HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Sep 22, 2012, 12:09 AM
Joined Aug 2012
348 Posts
hi jack, ihav completed the fuse here are som pics,,i have 2 focus on detachable wings now,managed wth d fuse let me knw according to you hows the fuse and any ideas to put those wings on the wing mounts i made ,imean removable after flight
romanxdsouza is offline Find More Posts by romanxdsouza
Last edited by romanxdsouza; Sep 22, 2012 at 12:27 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 22, 2012, 07:55 AM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
17,217 Posts
The fuselage looks like it will work. If the wing has a flat section where it rests on the wing supports, you can use rubber bands. Rest the wing on the supports, put two small dowels under the supports parallel to the fuselage, then put rubber band on the dowels and across the top of the wing. Use like two straight back and two in an "X".

If the wing is undercambered (curved on the bottom) you can put a filler block of foam, matching the curve and flat on the bottom, so that the rubber bands do not crush or flatten the wing.

Jack
jackerbes is offline Find More Posts by jackerbes
Old Sep 22, 2012, 08:41 AM
Joined Aug 2012
348 Posts
kk jack im new to this ,this is confusing, i want to make two seperate 24 inch wings ,joining the post but removable
Old Sep 22, 2012, 09:08 AM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
17,217 Posts
So a 48" wing joined in the center right? And you want to be able to be taken apart for transportation and storage?

Look at how I made a three section winglike that in this thread:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1470211

I don't think it is practical to build a undercambered wing with a center joint like that, the flat bottom wing would be a better choice for that.

Jack
Last edited by jackerbes; Sep 22, 2012 at 04:31 PM.
Old Sep 22, 2012, 12:37 PM
Joined Aug 2012
348 Posts
kkkkkkkk need to do a lot of thinking hear
Old Sep 24, 2012, 11:14 AM
Joined Aug 2012
348 Posts
hi jack still working on wings going to use 5mm depron using all sorces of info,wanted to knw about my motor mount,if u look closely the motor mount is facing down around 5mm or 6 from the fuse down is tht fine drew a diagram below,and please let me know
Old Sep 24, 2012, 01:31 PM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
17,217 Posts
You want about 3 degrees of downthrust and 1- or 2 degrees to the right. It is often easiest to build the firewall square and plum and then use flat washers as spacers behind the motor mounting legs to adjust the thrust angle. If you already have some angle there it will work though. You can always use spacers to adjust it back some if you need to.

You can tell if you need some thrust angle change by the behavior in flight. If it noses up when you open the throttle or won't turn the the left very well you need some. When it is right, the plane (trimmed and flying level) will accelerate staying level and the increase in speed will cause a climb with the plane staying level. And it will turn equally well to the left and right.

Jack
Old Sep 25, 2012, 05:52 AM
Joined Aug 2012
348 Posts
kkkkkkkkk thanks jack very difficult to get depron in india,numbai im planing to ship some from a place called pune its in india ,will update u
Old Sep 28, 2012, 10:33 PM
Joined Aug 2012
348 Posts
hi jack,i mamaged to order some depron waiting for it, need ur help making under cambered wing 48inch polydihedral with ribs so wanted to knw if i hav to put a rib between the wing cords and the dihedral breaks ............where the arrows are pointing below in the pic below......any info from ur side
Old Sep 29, 2012, 07:38 AM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
17,217 Posts
Wrong guy to ask, I don't build with Depron so I don't really know that material. And I don't build under cambered wings either. Only flat KF with other kinds of spars.

A under cambered wing in Depron with ribs on the bottom... I'm going to have to think about that. I may have seen a good thread on how to build like that and will have to look for it later...

Jack
Old Oct 01, 2012, 01:49 AM
Joined Aug 2012
348 Posts
jack, i thank u for trying ,ive recvd the depron found out that 48 WS is to to big max i can make wing span is 34inches will it work with my electronics if YES,then what size evev and rudder to go for or should i stick to the same elev and rudder
Last edited by romanxdsouza; Oct 01, 2012 at 03:11 AM.
Old Oct 01, 2012, 08:32 AM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
17,217 Posts
It should work. What will your wing chord be? The distance from the leading edge to the trailing edge?

If you are reducing the wing from 48" to 34" that would be 30% smaller or 70% of the original size. So, in theory, reducing the sizes and fuselage length about that amount will work.

Jack
Old Oct 01, 2012, 01:11 PM
Joined Aug 2012
348 Posts
this is new to me jack,please help im making wing span 34 x 10 polydihedral need u to help me with exact measurments for elevator/stabilizer , rudder/vert stab and fuselage was thinking of keeping fuse the same thats 34inches
Old Oct 01, 2012, 02:41 PM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
17,217 Posts
I'm not an aircraft designer, I've been just reading plans and copying things I've seen and read. But they have flown and we can figure this out. Here is an interesting page, it says::

"..This page is designed to give the measurements for a very basic model using non tapered wings..."

http://www.geistware.com/rcmodeling/model_calc.htm

Let's compare your numbers to what they say there. Enter the 34" span and 10" chord and choose barn door type ailerons, then click on compute. Then we can pick some of the numbers out of there play with:

Wing Span = 34 In.
Wing Chord = 10 In.

Vertical Fin Calculations
Vertical Fin Area = 45.33 sq. in.

Horizontal Stab Calculations
Horizontal Stab Area = 74.8 sq. in.
Horizontal Stab Chord = 4.99 in.
Horizontal Stab Span = 14.98"

Vertical Fin - Looking at your drawing on the tail parts I see the vertical fin as about 33 sq. in. as you have it drawn there now.

Horizontal Stab - The 6" x 14" hstab is about 84 sq. in.

So your numbers appear to be OK. But if you want to add 1" to the bottom length and 1" to the height on the vertical fin, making it 7" long and 7" high, that would increase the area to about 42 sq. in.

Your hstab is a little bigger but that is OK, leave it as you have it.

(I am using the calculator here to draw the parts and get those area numbers - http://www.sketchandcalc.com/)

I'm confused about the number on the Fuselage Calculations. I think your number for the length are OK and I would just use what you have now.

Is this helping? I'm getting smarter too....

Jack
Old Oct 01, 2012, 11:28 PM
Joined Aug 2012
348 Posts
haha seen ur builds jack u are already smart, as for me i need to start from scratch n check the plan well its all about the size that matters coz of travel and lack of space in india where i stay, then the electronics should match that size of plan this is what i learnt for now,

hey jack i got some info on WS making it 36inches rest of the plan remains same, JACK i need ur help for the wing tips should i make it shorter or leave it 8inches as per post #54 ,imean poly dihedral \____/
Last edited by romanxdsouza; Oct 02, 2012 at 01:28 AM.
Closed Thread