HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Sep 08, 2012, 07:52 PM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
16,698 Posts
OK, the material in the photo looks like the 20" x 30" foam board sheets. That is a material that is about 4.6mm thick when the paper covering is removed from it.

The wing build is apparently an under cambered (curved on the bottom) type wing with ribs added for stiffening. I've not built like that with that material. I'm not sure about the details or how it will work. All of my builds have been KF wings with two or more layers of flat sheet foam and spars between the layers.

I think when you get the materials or have chosen the materials you can move on more. It that plan proved to be a good flyer, copying it in a slightly different material should produce a good plane.

As far as the vertical stabilizer and rudder plans, I think the on you posted in post #25 is the better one, the other looks not to be high enough and has too small a stabilizer and too large a rudder. I would split the 6" size more like to 4" to the stabilizer and 2" to the rudder, not 3 and 3..

Jack
jackerbes is offline Find More Posts by jackerbes
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 12, 2012, 06:31 AM
Joined Aug 2012
292 Posts
kk jack this is my final plan drawn by me below , if u think i sould make any changes please draw it for me with measurments, drawing makes its easier for me as a beginner,the wing tip on the LE is cut 2inches do i cut it or leave ,if the diagrams are k ill move futher,to check foe wing covering, let me knw about detachable wings for the center,thats the only prob and wing post
romanxdsouza is offline Find More Posts by romanxdsouza
Old Sep 12, 2012, 07:44 AM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
16,698 Posts
The plans look like they will work fine. As far as cutting the 2" angle on the tips, I would just leave them square unless you want to make it look like a SS. And you'll also give up a little wing area too.

As far as getting the wing and tail and stuff mounted, the only way I have done it is using the stock SS plastic wing mounts or the X-Fuse wing mounts. The SS parts are cheaper by break easier, the X-Fuse stuff is more expensive and stronger...

GWS SS parts set - http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...S-dsh-3/Detail

X-Fuse SS parts set - http://www.millenniumrc.com/X-FusePartsSet.html

You posted that photo back in post #21 that shows some kind of foam blacks that were made to mount the wings on, I've not tried or done anything like that either. So I guess I'm out of ideas as to how to mount the wings other than the above. Maybe you can spot something in one of the SS threads that ill work for you.

Jack
Old Sep 13, 2012, 02:28 AM
Joined Aug 2012
292 Posts
would u b knowing the height for the foam blacks that were made to mount the wings on post #21 ,if i get these sizes, i think im sorted, and can plan somthing out to then mount the wings
Old Sep 13, 2012, 05:27 AM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
16,698 Posts
The stock wing mount holds the wing about 8mm above the stick at the back edgeand maybe 12mm at the frount.

The rear one in that photo is about 22mm or so higher, I think that was to clear all the stuff on top of the stick better. (receiver, ESC, etc.). That shows a under cambered or curved wing and it is mounted with positive incidence (front higher than the back). If you build a flat bottomed wing like a KFm2 you want both mounts to be the same height (zero incidence). and parallel with the stick.

Jack
Old Sep 13, 2012, 03:00 PM
Joined Aug 2012
292 Posts
k im goin 2 build a under cambered wing and mount it with positive incidence (front higher than the back).wich means TE wing post will be 22mm as per the photo what about the LE wing post, what do you say
Old Sep 13, 2012, 06:38 PM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
16,698 Posts
OK, then you want the front wing mount to be about 3mm higher than the rear one. That will be enough to work. You can always adjust that a little later if you need to by adding spaceers under the wing.

Jack
Old Sep 14, 2012, 06:48 AM
Joined Aug 2012
292 Posts
k thanks jack for your support, so LE mount 25mm and TE mount 22mm ,and what about the 2inch on the elevator LE cut it or leave it,kkkkkkkk now im left with planing the spliting of the wings at the centre and have to decide what material to use,in india i think foam is called thermocol,ill reach india and check it out, u said the wing covering was 4.6mm thick then what would be the size for the ribs added for stiffening and size for elevator and rudder be ,i mean the foam size.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 07:11 AM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
16,698 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by romanxdsouza View Post
k thanks jack for your support, so LE mount 25mm and TE mount 22mm ,and what about the 2inch on the elevator LE cut it or leave it,kkkkkkkk now im left with planing the spliting of the wings at the centre and have to decide what material to use,in india i think foam is called thermocol,ill reach india and check it out, u said the wing covering was 4.6mm thick then what would be the size for the ribs added for stiffening and size for elevator and rudder be ,i mean the foam size.
You can leave it or cut it too. I would change the horizontal stabilizer from 3" to 4" and just make the elevator portion 2". That will give you more than enough elevator control surface. You probably find that you won't need more than a small amount fo the available deflection on the elevator.

Jack
Old Sep 14, 2012, 07:44 AM
Joined Aug 2012
292 Posts
hay jack that was confusing can u draw it........im new
Old Sep 14, 2012, 07:54 AM
Joined Aug 2012
292 Posts
kkk u mean like the pic i drew below
Last edited by romanxdsouza; Sep 14, 2012 at 08:25 AM.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 07:59 AM
Joined Aug 2012
292 Posts
if the diagram of the elevator i drew is correct ,then do i make the fin root cord on rudder thats the part wich joins the fuse 4 inches then
Old Sep 14, 2012, 08:18 AM
Joined Aug 2012
292 Posts
kkkk let me know if this is what you mean then ill change the plan for radder and elev to this , the wing im not cutting the LE the 2inches nor for the elevator is the wing ok,
Old Sep 14, 2012, 09:00 AM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
16,698 Posts
That's it exactly.

As it was the larger elevator would have made the plane much more responsive to just a little bit of elevator movement and you do not want that in a trainer.

The fixed parts are the horizontal and vertical stabilizers, the movable parts of the stabilizers are the elevator and rudder. .

Jack
Old Sep 15, 2012, 02:49 PM
Joined Aug 2012
292 Posts
cool im leaving from europe hungary, budapest back to india on vacation will take a brake n get back to you on my build,will decide on wing covering,and split wing at home,u tc c u soon
Closed Thread