HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 31, 2012, 04:13 PM
United States, VA, Middlesex
Joined Dec 2010
29 Posts
Discussion
North Sea 38

Good evening,

I just got back from the test run of my rebuilt Metcalff North Sea 38 Trawler. I bought the boat on Ebay earlier this month and the goal was to have a working boat by Labor Day. I always liked the North Sea 38, and actually bought one from Models By Design a few years ago, but sold it to a fellow RC Groups member to finance another project which was completed and sold this spring.

Well the pieces I bought from Ebay were in a lot worse condition that I thought. Despite the broken deck, cracked and holed hull, missing parts and general mess I went to the wood shop and built this, all from part and materials I had on hand. I installed the blower motor that came with the boat, used an Electronize speed control and a Futaba 4 channel "SkySport" radio on 75 mhz. There are 9 lights that work, a lit detailed cabin interior, and a new 12 volt 8 ah battery. The boat is not built with plans - I used artistic license and watched the 1990's UK reality series "The Skipper" for inspiration. Now to work on deck clutter and details....

The boat ran great in the Piankatank River today and I wore out from the sun before the battery did. I've attached some photos for your viewing pleasure.
bwmarks is offline Find More Posts by bwmarks
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 31, 2012, 04:21 PM
no such thing as to many boats
United States, NY, New York
Joined May 2010
1,843 Posts
Very well done nice looking boat good gob on the restoration.
louie R/C NUT is online now Find More Posts by louie R/C NUT
Old Aug 31, 2012, 04:36 PM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
8,736 Posts
[QUOTE=bwmarks;22605689] I always liked the North Sea 38, and actually bought one from Models By Design a few years ago, but sold it to a fellow RC Groups member to finance another project which was completed and sold this spring.QUOTE]

Excellent Brian !

Looks great !

The kit you mention you had previously waits patiently in a cool dry place until its time...

Your model here is a Fine example.
Tim B. is offline Find More Posts by Tim B.
Old Sep 01, 2012, 01:28 PM
"day ain't over yet-"
Western N.Y. winemaking country
Joined Jun 2005
9,757 Posts
Nice restoration. the original looks like it really got clobbered---.
der kapitan is offline Find More Posts by der kapitan