HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 31, 2012, 11:09 AM
The New Guy
Joined Aug 2012
61 Posts
Discussion
What should be the next plane AFTER the high wing trainer ???

Hello again Fellow Pilots,

I am a newbie who has a question on the next plane AFTER the high wing trainer. I would like to start investing in it and take my time getting all parts needed. I have narrowed down my selections to the following could you please give me some advice or direction:

The Cherokee - http://www.greatplanes.com/airplanes/gpma1033.html
The Escapade - http://www.greatplanes.com/airplanes/gpma1200.html
The Shoestring - http://www.greatplanes.com/airplanes/gpma1328.html
The Super Sportster EP - http://www.electrifly.com/largeelectrics/gpma1161.html
The SR22 Turbo - http://www.electrifly.com/largeelectrics/gpma1166.html

And a Follow up Question are Biplanes a good choice to get into after a trainer?

Thank you,
Robert
PS I want to stay in electric
rbgordon is offline Find More Posts by rbgordon
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 31, 2012, 01:07 PM
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Jan 2010
3,035 Posts
I wouldn't invest in one of those planes until you have a little bit more practice. Get a parkzone T-28 and bash on it for a bit. Then you may have better luck. If you crash the T-28, it's an easy, quick fix. Not a bunch of woodwork and covering.

As for biplanes, the WWI style (short noses) are a bit more advanced than say a Tigermoth or Stearman, which are quite easy to fly.
restlessswind is offline Find More Posts by restlessswind
Old Aug 31, 2012, 05:52 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,419 Posts
Yeah, those are nice planes, and a couple of them are high performance types. You're going to want at least one more park-basher, preferably foam, in between your trainer and planes like the ones in your list.

Biplanes have excess drag - this causes problems for beginners sometimes, particularly when they aren't very good at maintaining proper landing speeds. Typically, trainers land throttle-off, but almost no biplane will do that. They slow down and stall a lot faster than monoplanes.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Aug 31, 2012, 09:13 PM
United States, MI, East Tawas
Joined Aug 2011
120 Posts
2nd plane

I went from a high wing to a 3d EPP plane with only one flight on my high wing. I have had a few crashes on the epp plane but its mostly laziness because its sooooo easy to repair and it doesn't make me feel like I have to be "careful". Granted I spent hours on a trainer and hours on my Pico stick. So if you don't have a trainer, I suggest spending some time on one of the open source/free ones. Or even spend $50 to get a copy of Realflight 3.5 with a controller. Then go with a foamie low wing but only after you spent lots of time on a trainer. Seriously, when you are bored with the plane, it's time time to move up.

That's my advice from one noob to another take it FWIW~!
j35u5fr34k is offline Find More Posts by j35u5fr34k
Old Aug 31, 2012, 10:04 PM
Joined Nov 2011
936 Posts
The best type of plane for a trainee is pretty well accepted because of the characteristics of the plane. The best type for a second plane is more of a blend of the characteristics of the plane and pilot, and what direction the pilot wants to go toward.

It looks to me like you are asking well in advance, and are not looking at the cheapest way to go. So I am going to guess that you are not planning on hot dogging and throwing the sticks around. You are planning on being very careful and taking good care of your plane. If that is the case then any of the planes that you showed links to should be really good for you, except maybe the Shoestring. Fine plane to be sure, but it is based on a pre WWII racer and those types tend to be fast, and need to be fast. They need extra care on take off and they carry a bit of extra speed on landing. You might want to wait on that one.

Now if I have misread your intentions and you are indeed looking to get out and throw caution and airplanes to the wind, then my advice is ELECTRIC and FOAM.
Logan4169 is offline Find More Posts by Logan4169
Last edited by Logan4169; Aug 31, 2012 at 10:46 PM.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 10:24 PM
New Rochelle, NY
Joined Jun 2008
665 Posts
In the old days they used to say high-wing, mid-wing...then low wing.. Today it's all up for grabs.. People who can do it fly EDF planes almost right off, some can't even handle high wing aileron planes for a year... So it depends heavily on your skills and where you want to go and what you like.

If you can fly well on 4 channels, have no problems landing etc, any of those planes would be okay IMO, the more work to fly the less fun for most folks.
ny_hawk is offline Find More Posts by ny_hawk
Old Sep 01, 2012, 09:45 AM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
4,960 Posts
Listen to Jasmine.................that course is going to give you the most chance at sucess.
chucksolo69 is offline Find More Posts by chucksolo69
Old Sep 01, 2012, 10:34 AM
Laugh NOT at King Tupitos
Pleasant Valley Modelport
Joined Sep 2006
8,759 Posts
How about the Switch ?
The RXR is about $250

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXCKWW&P=ML
Chophop is online now Find More Posts by Chophop
Old Sep 01, 2012, 10:47 AM
3d addict
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined May 2011
1,038 Posts
Well what kind of flying do you want to move towards? That narrows down what kind of plane a bit. As a second plane you already understand the basics of flight and orientation and the like.

If you want to stick with lazier flying the parkzone t-28 is perfect. It will get you comfortable with ailerons is easy to fix and has lots of spare parts available. It flies a bit faster and is somewhat aerobatic.

If you want to head towards the crazy 3d realm of things something EPP is perfect. Something from Twisted hobbies (crack pitts, crack yak, crack slick would be my choices) would be awesome if you want to go this route. On low rates an EPP 3d plane will teach you a lot really really quickly. And if you meet the ground they are very very easy to repair. I have 2 and I have beaten them to death but learned a metric ton about flying in a short amount of time. They really force you to use all control surfaces to make it fly (no bank and yank on one of those, it won't turn very well that way.) my father went from a trainer to a TH plane and is amazed at how much he learned in a short amount of time as well.

So look at what kind of flying you want to do and choose from there.
Aaeolien is offline Find More Posts by Aaeolien
Old Sep 01, 2012, 09:17 PM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jul 2011
2,140 Posts
If you can fly the trainer and it's at least a 4 channel trainer, then you should be able to fly anything. I started with a PZ P-47 and I still have it and love flying it. I got a Cessna 182 later and I enjoy it as much, but in different ways. I have floats I can put on it. I bought a FunCub that has it's moments too. I never bring two high wing planes with me to the field tho. I have 6 planes and 3 are high wing, one of which is a twin, 2 warbirds, and a sport flyer to practice more advanced flying and mauneuvers....In a years time, I'm not afraid to fly anything....You won't be either.

edit: sorry 7 planes, I scratchbuilt one and am waiting on a power system. And it's a 3 channel! But who cares as long as it's fun!!!
JDMJim is offline Find More Posts by JDMJim
Old Sep 02, 2012, 08:29 AM
buyer of the farm
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Mar 2009
4,397 Posts
To follow the Jasmine idea of your next plane being able to take a hit, and possibly your idea of wanting something different with perhaps a bit of attitude, have you checked out CrashTestHobby.com and their lineup of flying wings? Their 58" wingspan Titan has performance to burn, flies very well slowly, is stable enough for a relatively inexperienced girl and is routinely used in full contact combat so just about whatever it encounters you'll be able to pick it up and toss it back in the air. What's not to like?
Rockin Robbins is online now Find More Posts by Rockin Robbins
Last edited by Rockin Robbins; Sep 02, 2012 at 12:21 PM.
Old Sep 05, 2012, 01:49 PM
The New Guy
Joined Aug 2012
61 Posts
Hi Logan4169

Thank you for your reply. You are correct I do not plan on hot dogging or throwing the stick around (I have the simulator for that). I plan to treat the plane with respect. I also find it relaxing to put them together so taking week on a build that would take days is fine for me because of the time I have to do it.
Thanks, I will stay away from the shoestring. Out of what I suggested which would you most recommend?

Robert
Old Sep 05, 2012, 01:53 PM
The New Guy
Joined Aug 2012
61 Posts
J35u5fr34k,

Wow you are Dearing  Or may be much more coordinated than I am. I do have the Real Flight Simulator (5.5) Thanks for the Advice. The part about “when you are bored with the plane, it's time to move up” make a lot on sense to me .

Thank you
Robert
Old Sep 05, 2012, 01:56 PM
The New Guy
Joined Aug 2012
61 Posts
Thanks Jasmine,

That sounds like good advice I do want it to be fun not frustrating.

Thanks again
Robert
Old Sep 05, 2012, 02:08 PM
The New Guy
Joined Aug 2012
61 Posts
Hi Chophop,

I did take a look at the Switch and the reviews that I saw said that it handled better as a low wing then a high wing (
FlyZone Switch Review - Part 2 (11 min 20 sec)
). The Field that I go to has no paved runway it is grass. But if you know better please let me know .

Thanks
Robert