HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 30, 2012, 02:53 PM
turn, turn, turn.
Athol, Massachusetts
Joined Oct 2005
10,399 Posts
The final round is being flown now... these guys are flying great!
Kenny Sharp is online now Find More Posts by Kenny Sharp
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 30, 2012, 03:41 PM
turn, turn, turn.
Athol, Massachusetts
Joined Oct 2005
10,399 Posts
Congratulations to the winner... and all those who got wood!
You guys all flew great!

Hope to fly here again soon.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 04:08 PM
Red Merle ALES
United States, Mt, Helena
Joined Apr 2002
5,658 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Sharp View Post
Congratulations to the winner... and all those who got wood!
You guys all flew great!

Hope to fly here again soon.
Who, who won...?

Any chance of getting the scores/score sheets posted?

Sounds like you guys and/or gals had fun.

Curtis
Curtis Suter is online now Find More Posts by Curtis Suter
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 30, 2012, 06:22 PM
turn, turn, turn.
Athol, Massachusetts
Joined Oct 2005
10,399 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CloudyIFR View Post
Who, who won...?

Any chance of getting the scores/score sheets posted?

Sounds like you guys and/or gals had fun.

Curtis
Yeah, we all had a great time.

I figured I'd leave the score and contest breakdown for the CD report.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 06:27 PM
WINS - Winch In Nose Sailplane
USA, NH
Joined Mar 2008
3,109 Posts
Kenny - you giving me more work? I am so tired - I cannot even tell you. I will try to report in the next day or two. LOL Randy won.
jaizon is offline Find More Posts by jaizon
Old Sep 30, 2012, 09:45 PM
Soaring Circuits
Coopersburg, PA
Joined Sep 2001
1,974 Posts
Whew, what a day! Started out heavily overcast with drizzle on the way to the field. An impressive number of pilots showed up considering the conditions.

We decided to give it a try to see if we could get at least 3 rounds in. On my first round launch I hit the cloud deck and had to shut down a few seconds early to stop the big AVA from totally disappearing. The rest of the flight was spent fighting cloud suck. It was quite nerve racking to try to fly right at cloud base, high enough to make my time but not so high as to vanish into the clouds. Twice the AVA did disappear on me and I had to spiral it down to get it to reappear, once with full spoilers on. I'm pretty sure that's the first time I ever used full spoilers in the middle of a contest flight.

The rest of the day was fully overcast with periods of light rain, drizzle and dry. I went through about a half roll of paper towels trying to keep my ship fairly dry. There were times during some of the heavier rain where the AVA had about an extra half pound over water on it, or at least it felt like it. A challenging day to say the least but there was decent lift throughout the entire day. Hats off to all the plots who stuck it out.

Thanks to SNHRCC and especially to Preston, our CD. Preston had an especially tough day planting his Xplorer in a tree early on. It turned out to be a happy ending but I'll let him give you the details.

Randy
rcbrust is offline Find More Posts by rcbrust
Old Oct 01, 2012, 12:11 AM
United States, MA, Waltham
Joined Dec 2001
7,109 Posts
If jaizon is who I think it is, many thanks for your work on the contest! And to the other people who helped. I know David Beach did some of it, but I don't know the name of the scorekeeper.

If my conjecture about jaizon's identity is correct, I can report that his 4 meter sailplane is indeed red, so it makes a nice seasonally appropriate supplement to the fall foliage. ;-p

The top of the hill there is visually deceptive and it took me several flights before I stopped landing short. Didn't get any "wood", though I was in the top three a couple of times in earlier rounds. Would probably help if I would set up something better than a flying beer cooler. OTOH, I wonder if the ALES League would be happening if not for the Radians.
lincoln is offline Find More Posts by lincoln
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 01, 2012, 01:50 PM
USA, NH
Joined Mar 2008
3,109 Posts
I am jaizon (aka Preston). Yes. It is true, Lincoln.

And now for a brief contest report (although Randy pretty much covered it).

I was quite please to see everyone who turned out despite the inclement weather. We started the day with thirteen pilots. This, to me, is a great sign for ALES. And regardless of the less than cooperative weather I think everyone had a good time. Randy and Dave held an epic battle of the titans and gave everyone an object lesson in how to make the most out of rather poor conditions. Wet was the order of the day until well after lunch.

My most sincere thanks to Lauren, Dave, Chris and Jim. Their help was invaluable in putting on this contest.

This was my first contest as a CD and it was going quite well (leaving the weather out of it) until I put my red 4m sailplane in the top of a 70 foot pine. LOL And I was the last plane up and about to turn on final. 1,000 points went poof. So I picked up the phone and called Brandon and he came down to climb the tree. He climbed the tree and Jerry helped from the ground and together the got the plane down with minimal damage, and I mean minimal. It was a great job and many thanks to you both.

We managed to get in 7 rounds, and that was with a mid morning rain delay.

As for the results:

1 - Randy Brust with a very big Ava.
2 - David Beach with his Topaz/Supra/something combo
3 - Chris Ordzie with his unbalanced Windancer (which he did balance after the contest.
4 - Jim Tyrie with a Radian
5 - Lincoln Ross with a Radian
6 - Kenny Sharp with a Radian
7 - Wally by golly with a Radian

That's all I can remember.

I think we are looking into having an ALES contest in the spring and if we do I'm hoping for an even bigger attendance.

Thanks again to all for coming and helping.
Old Oct 01, 2012, 02:19 PM
United States, MA, Grafton
Joined May 2006
355 Posts
Remaining placings:
Dick Williamson, flying - ? He'll have to tell us what it is.
Me, flying a Skybench Li'l Bird 2ME
Steve ___ (sorry Steve I'm bad with names) flying a couple of Graupners
Alan Marshall - Radian
Preston & John out with tree trouble and crash respectively.

Two of the best parts of the day were seeing Preston's big Xplorer back on the field with only the tailplanes missing, and seeing John's gorgeous Paragon with so little damage after what looked like it was going to be a really ugly crash.
tom1968 is online now Find More Posts by tom1968
Old Oct 01, 2012, 02:35 PM
USA, NH
Joined Mar 2008
3,109 Posts
Tom, the stab was taken off in the tree by Brandon so as to avoid damaging them. They are fine. Halfway through repairs to right wing tip and rudder.
Old Oct 01, 2012, 04:53 PM
Joined Feb 2006
579 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom1968 View Post
Remaining placings:
Dick Williamson, flying - ? He'll have to tell us what it is.
Me, flying a Skybench Li'l Bird 2ME
Steve ___ (sorry Steve I'm bad with names) flying a couple of Graupners
Alan Marshall - Radian
Preston & John out with tree trouble and crash respectively.

Two of the best parts of the day were seeing Preston's big Xplorer back on the field with only the tailplanes missing, and seeing John's gorgeous Paragon with so little damage after what looked like it was going to be a really ugly crash.
I flew a Wind Dancer. The name is Steve Kranish.

Tom David flew a 2-m Little Bird.

I was struggling to stay in the race flying my Wind Dancer. After five rounds, I was amazed to see that I had climbed up to fourth place. That was the good news. The bad news was that with seeded man-on-man, I was then in the top flight group flying against Dave Beach and Randy Brust. My flying during that sixth round was terrible and I sunk all the way to eighth place. I had a chance to redeem myself during that final seventh round. A brain fade caused me to blow that round. With all of the interesting conditions and great flying during the contest, I had completely forgotten to change my battery. To start that last round, I climbed to only about half the height of the others. The inevitable result was a lousy score. It was good enough to hang on to eighth place!
williamson is offline Find More Posts by williamson
Old Oct 01, 2012, 07:18 PM
Joined Feb 2006
579 Posts
Many thanks go to Preston for running a great contest despite the drizzily weather. The competition was great. Once again, the ALES scoring expert, Randy's wife did a great job. Kudos.

Some of the heavy duty glider guiders seem reluctant to deviate from pure soaring and take part in ALES competitions. However, the two ALES contest in which I have been involved have been very competitive. In some sense, there is more of an emphasis on soaring skills in ALES than in the usual sailplane contest where launching high is a big part of the event.
williamson is offline Find More Posts by williamson
Old Oct 01, 2012, 07:28 PM
Litchfield, NH
Joined Oct 2004
11 Posts
Paragon Lives!

Thanks for the nice comment about the Paragon's lack of damage.

I still don't really know what happened, I have had to hold a bit of down during the climb out anyway but I wasn't able to get control of the Paragon to get the nose over. What I feel happened is that the motor battery shifted during the toss and somehow separated the power lead to the receiver, the momentum carried it over the top and the rest is history. I think it made a perfect "9" before impact.

I am amazed at what happened to the fuse, the battery managed to clean out three bulkheads, one of which I was going to open up for battery access so I wouldn't have to always remove all the rubber bands holding the wing in place to swap batteries. Even with the violent impact the motor is fine, no bent motor shaft, motor bulkhead stood up and and the speed control is OK.

Repairs only took a couple of hours and it doesn't look like anything happened at all.

If there is one thing that I took away from the contest, it would be that in not to many years people will be saying "what is a winch"? Truly a contest without tangles, snags, broken lines and other various equipment problems is a joy to attend. We get to focus on the sailplane aspects of soaring and not on the equipment. My hats off to Preston and David

John
I_SOAR is offline Find More Posts by I_SOAR
Old Oct 01, 2012, 07:47 PM
United States, MA, Waltham
Joined Dec 2001
7,109 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by williamson View Post
snip
Some of the heavy duty glider guiders seem reluctant to deviate from pure soaring and take part in ALES competitions.
snip
Arrange for LSF points and they will come. Ok, some of them will be more likely to show up. Me, for instance. Once I had a decent glider and potential for LSF points, I'd be willing to drive just as far for a two day ALES contest with 20 flyers as for a TD contest.
lincoln is offline Find More Posts by lincoln
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 01, 2012, 08:40 PM
Red Merle ALES
United States, Mt, Helena
Joined Apr 2002
5,658 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by williamson View Post

Some of the heavy duty glider guiders seem reluctant to deviate from pure soaring and take part in ALES competitions. However, the two ALES contest in which I have been involved have been very competitive. In some sense, there is more of an emphasis on soaring skills in ALES than in the usual sailplane contest where launching high is a big part of the event.
I believe where I read that Joe Wurts want to fly in am ALES contest. When he does others will follow.

Curtis
Curtis Suter is online now Find More Posts by Curtis Suter
RCG Plus Member