Closed Thread
Old Dec 05, 2003, 05:55 AM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
NASA going to the MOON?!?!?!?

Gang,

Fresh off the press!

President to announce big chances for NASA and it's direction and it may take us back to the MOON!

http://www.spaceref.com/news/viewnews.html?id=902
guapoman2000 is offline Find More Posts by guapoman2000
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 05, 2003, 08:55 AM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Okay, Gerry called me early in the morning telling me to wave off the HOME DEPOT field since it was raining off and on (more on than off )

We left towards work and stopped by Moon Port Modelers Field. Those guys were cutting the grass with three riding mowers and it was not until 8:10AM that we had an opportunity to fly.

I quickly didn't lose anytime and allowed two battery packs for the SUPER STAR to top off. I had both ready at 8:10AM and promptly place her on the field and turned "ON" the switch and performed a good pre-flight check.

I had to stop since I noticed the rudder coming in contact with a screw that hold the horizontal stab from above the rear end keel at the FUSE and the screw was sticking out and rudder was hitting it. NO PROBLEM, took out my screw driver set and the screw went in with no problem! Okay, place her back on the field and reset the ESC and the motor started to turn and I throttle up nice and easy.

The model rolled down the field about 10 feet and she lifted nice and slow and I heard a "WOW" from some of the GAS flyers She again zoomed upwards but, I was ready for her this time!
Gave her a short 4 minute flight and practice my appoach to land her about three passes across the field.

About the forth pass, I cut the motor and she floated very gentle like on that grass turf and it was a rewarding experience! She is the most stable model I have ever flown! Oh, yes, almost forgot, I called Gerry while I was flying her and commanded her to do a loop. The first attempt, she didn't have enough air speed since I was just putt putting around so, I level her off and about 70 feet up, I throttle up and applied up elevator and she just came up and over effortlessly.

The battery pack was just slightly warm. I didn't want any surprises nor unexpected CUT-OFF on this nice looking trainer!

Later,
Carlos
Last edited by guapoman2000; Dec 05, 2003 at 08:59 AM.
Old Dec 05, 2003, 11:11 AM
Watts Rule, Glows Drool
orlando, FL
Joined Mar 2003
3,197 Posts
Carlos,

What battery pack are you using on the superstar, it has a 540 size brush motor right. (or did you go brushless). What kind of amps does it draw?

Toby
dogon1013 is offline Find More Posts by dogon1013
Old Dec 05, 2003, 12:36 PM
A Few Sandwiches Shy
Orlando, FL
Joined Jun 2001
1,961 Posts
Oh No, even the trees aren't safe anymore.

Carlos - thanks for the article. I hope Nasa gets subsidised a bit from the defence budget. Every other countries' space program is funded by the military while ours is a poor stepchild civilian program that keeps getting it's budget cut. I missed out on seeing the moon landings by a couple of months (still inside if you know what I mean) and would love to see us walk on the moon again. Mabye even Ashlie could get up there.

With the Wattage Stearman, just what I figured would happen. Their planes are just too heavy. Even my GP Wright Flyer is heavy for it's size and airfoil at 11.8 oz, but at least it flies.

Rob
RMason is offline Find More Posts by RMason
Old Dec 05, 2003, 01:41 PM
Team Broke
Orlando/ Winter Garden, FL
Joined Feb 2003
5,671 Posts
Well guys,
I am back from Sunny Southern California. Had a wonderful visit with Dad & brother & their families. Saw a lot of stuff, went a lot of places, ate a LOT of really good food !
Even squeezed in a little time to stop at 2 LHS. (imagine that)
Went to Hobby People & Hobby Town.... neither had ANY Li-Po batteries, one of them had a Triton charger (which I was in the market for) for $169.95 and one of the shops carried a couple Astro Flight BL motors.... so it looks like Florida is ahead of them in terms of electric flight !
I told both of them to get on the ball & watch what's going on with different websites, because brushless & Li-Po's are the latest wave of the future in electrics.
So I bought a new Triton charger from Graves today ! $129.95 I need to send back my Hobbico dual charger because 1 side no longer works.
I also got to VERY briefly stop by a couple flying fields as well.
Palomar R/C Fliers in Escondido was closed during the week & I didn't get a chance to stop back on the weekend (busy, busy), and another, "Bonsall International Airport" in Fallbrook was open with a few guys flying some really fast gassers.

Anyhow, glad to be home & hope to see you all on Sunday. Looks like that will be the better of the 2 days.

PS...
Carlos, it does my heart good to see my old SuperStar EP in the air again. I wish you many enjoyable flights with her !

Jim
fishdeth is offline Find More Posts by fishdeth
Old Dec 05, 2003, 01:42 PM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dogon1013
Carlos,

What battery pack are you using on the superstar, it has a 540 size brush motor right. (or did you go brushless). What kind of amps does it draw?

Toby
Toby,

No Brushless setup here! The HOBBICO SUPER STAR EP flew just great with the EndoPlasma car motor by Kyosho! It's a 16-turn brush motor with these large brushes. It's in the Great Planes ElectriFly Gear Drive using the Pinion Gear 12T 3.8:1. It pulls about 33 Amps at Wide Open Throttle and swinging this large APC thin electric 13 X 10 prop.

It's an overkill according to some knowledgeable Electric flyers over here at work but, it sure goes up quick and with lots of power.

Batteries are 7-cell, Sub-C's, CP-21000, Ni-Cd's with ULTRA DEANS.

I have not weigh the model but, it's pushing perhaps 2Lbs.-13OZ.

Here's a pic of the motor.
Last edited by guapoman2000; Dec 19, 2003 at 05:38 AM.
Old Dec 05, 2003, 02:01 PM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Jim (Fishdeth) !
Welcome back and yes, this SUPER STAR is just great! I Love the way she floats around! Lots of control and very good looking model.

Toby,

Here's the pic of the Great Planes Gearbox!
Old Dec 05, 2003, 02:07 PM
Orlando Fl
Joined Jan 2002
1,900 Posts
Hey Jim, you know it wasn't long after I got the SuperStar that I started to get bigger planes, look out Carlos
Chuck
PS I don't want to be the only one around here flying "big wood"( balsa)
Chuck McHugh is offline Find More Posts by Chuck McHugh
Old Dec 05, 2003, 02:13 PM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Chuck McHugh
Hey Jim, you know it wasn't long after I got the SuperStar that I started to get bigger planes, look out Carlos
Chuck
Seriously, I was very close in buying that BLACK HORSE MODEL CAP 232 during the Turkey Holidays at R/C WORLD! At 58 inch wing span and 5 pounds, it would be a wonderful electric conversion! The quality and supplies were pretty impressive!

http://www.americanpioneerhobbies.com/

Perhaps, one day I will surprise all of you at the field!

Oh, yes, I have realized how lucky we all are of enjoying such a large field at HOME DEPOT! The field here at work is littered with pine tress and Microwave repeater towers and it's pretty stressful in trying to feel out a new model! Should have known better!

Carlos
Old Dec 05, 2003, 03:02 PM
Orlando Fl
Joined Jan 2002
1,900 Posts
Well if it don't kill ya, it will make you stronger!
Chuck
Chuck McHugh is offline Find More Posts by Chuck McHugh
Old Dec 05, 2003, 05:03 PM
maitland,fl
Joined Dec 2003
75 Posts
well i got out to the home depot field this a.m. and managed to get my t-hawk to go around the field a couple of times without crashing . (altho I did a lot of that to ) .
Total for the day was one busted prop and a lost lg wheel . I also dented the side of the fuse but a heat gun took care of that .
I dropped by graves hobbys after and picked up a 12v charger , next time I wont be limited to 2 flights .
The guy over at graves mentioned a field off dog track road in Longwood . Has anyone been to this field ? Is it big enough for a newbie ?
jim mathis is offline Find More Posts by jim mathis
Old Dec 05, 2003, 05:12 PM
Team Broke
Joined Feb 2003
5,671 Posts
Brad ???
Old Dec 05, 2003, 06:57 PM
Orlando
Joined Oct 2003
146 Posts
that was probably neil. I heard about that field but never went over to it. supposed to be where all the guys up by longwood go to fly. Too far for me to go from maitland... traffic and all. Let us know if you check it out
RCOrlando is offline Find More Posts by RCOrlando
Old Dec 05, 2003, 07:06 PM
Team Broke
Joined Feb 2003
5,671 Posts
No, I meant that Brad (plumb) flies over there & maybe he should chime in....

Jim
Old Dec 05, 2003, 08:22 PM
maitland,fl
Joined Dec 2003
75 Posts
rc orlando you say you live in maitland ... so do I . Where do you fly in the maitland area ?
jim mathis is offline Find More Posts by jim mathis
Closed Thread